You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjust the HSL of a color range

About the HSL adjustment:

In photoshop you have the possibility to define the range of "greens" for example, when you want to make the grass popup in the photo. In Affinity, we don't have the possibility to adjust the range of green colors. So, is there another fast and easy way to do this ? 

Best regards,

Florin

Hi MEB,

Yes , I know about that. But in most of the cases , that "greens" are only a smart part of the actual greens in the photo. In photoshop you have the ability to change the range of greens.

I've tried this method on several photos and usually it's just not enough. Sometimes I used also the yellows, but you have to create a mask to be sure you are not messing up everything. I was curios if there is a fast way to do this, without a lot of masking.

Best regards,

Florin

Hi DWright,

Thanks for the reply. I actually need to adjust more of the greens that the "green" selection is adjusting. I've tried also the Select Sampled Colour and it's giving a better result, but it's a little bit trickier. It seems that this is the way after all. 

Does anybody knows if it's in plan to get the option in HSL to change the range of each color ?

a slightly different approach could be to use the flood selection tool (magic wand). it differs from the "select sampled colour" in that dragging the tool increases its tolerance, referred to the pixel clicked at first. if you uncheck the "contiguous option" and drag the magic wand over a green area, the selection should expand to all the greens in the image.

take care,

stefano

• 2 years later...

I am also looking for a way to specify which parts of a colours range to tune -  specifically the red in people's cheeks and the greenish yellow tinge that some unshaven males take on around their jaws especially under fluorescent lighting - I use this all the time in Photoshop to tweak these unflattering or sick-looking hues. None of the above really works as replacements for me.

The new 1.7 betas have an improved HSL adjustment that should do what you want.

The 1.7 betas are currently available for Mac users,  (released this week)

the Windows versions were delayed but expected very, very soon

Note: If you are testing the Publisher 1.7 beta (Mac & Windows) both versions have the new HSL adjustment features

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

Just to add to this topic with a question:

Can someone please describe some details about using the HSL Adjustment tool in Affinity Photo? I recently received my Affinity Photo Workbook, even though I've been using Photo since beta (on Mac). The workbook exercise (page 116) indicates adding a new layer as an HSL Adjustment layer to a jpg file. Using that tool confused me at first since the tool palette looks odd until I reviewed the "science" of HSL and now see that it's represented in a 3 dimensional wheel-like structure. That's why, perhaps, the tool shows red tones at both ends - it's a loop.

The confusing part for me is the next step, number 7: "On the color panel, ensure your active color swatch is set to a pure white," even though the goal is to increase the red tones in the sample image. In an older digital imaging guide I have, the authors stated that, in HSL, pure white has a value of zero. Is that why we select white in the Workbook exercise? The resulting effect is that the color adjustments we make in the HSL sliders spills / flows over the HSL white value?

Thank you very much!

@jkehoe, the #7 shows a way to mask/unmask an effect in order to apply it only to certain areas of the image. in AP,  any effect layer is also a mask. if you select an effect layer and paint black on it, the effect disappears where you just painted. if you paint white over the black area, the effect reappears.

the exercise instruct to add a hsl layer, then invert it. inverting an effect layer actually means inverting its mask. when you add an effect layer, its mask is white by default: this means the effect is applied to the whole image. if you invert it, its mask becomes black and the effect is not applied anymore. in the exercise, you set the paintbrush to white, and the paint over a specified areas after selecting the hsl layer. this way, you create a white "hole" in its mask, which the effect becomes visible again through.

take care,

stefano

Hello @jkehoe,

@barninga, has it very well explained.
invert the HSL adjustment layer with the shortcut CTRL + I
The settings made are now not visible.
Paint over the areas whose settings should be visible with a soft brush, foreground color white.

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)