You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapping Nodes to Nodes on other Layers/Objects

Every time I try to use the Snapping feature I can never get it to do what I want!

I've done the tutorials.

I'm just trying to draw a wheel:

Lay down an Ellipse - Duplicate Layer - Move Duplicate Layer a short distance along the x-axis - Convert to Curves - Add Node - Drag Node to Snap to the top of the First Ellipse - nope...

What Snapping Setting do I need to select to achieve this? I'm trying them all and nothing will cause the node I am dragging to snap to the top of the first ellipse! I've tried converting the red ellipse to curves. I've tried holding down shift / alt /ctrl / cmd etc - all I can get it to snap to is the edge of the ellipse - it never snaps to the node at the top! Why is this basic operation so cryptic?

ellipse.JPG

Hi @awakenedbyowls,

A few suggestions...

I replied yesterday to a similar query about drawing a cylinder, with my preferred method, so I'll link you to that.

You may also consider saving a cylinder as an asset, if it is something you need frequently, to save time and effort in the future.

Regarding snapping...

So far as I am aware there have been no changes between v1 and v2.

Why doesn't the top of the ellipse count as a Shape Keypoint?

No idea! Sounds like it should, but it is no different in v1 compared to v2.

Remember that there are more snapping options in the context toolbar of the Pen tool.

If you enable Snape to Nodes of Selected Curves, and then have the ellipse selected at the time when you want to snap to it, the nodes are visible, and do act as snapping targets.

Also, be slightly wary about snap to Geometry, as that makes the entire edge snappable, so you may not hit the very top point.

Hope these thoughts help.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

From the help...

• Snap to shape key points—when checked, objects can be aligned to key points on shapes, such as the start and end of a rounded corner.
  • Snap to object geometry—when checked, curves can be snapped to vertices and not simply to the bounding box or key points. Vertices are object corners or intersections, such as the points of a star, within a shape's bounding box.

Not as explicit as it could be, but certainly seems that nodes are considered part of the geometry rather than key points.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Thanks Aammppaa

I think the Snapping features need a complete overhaul as it's just a confusing mess, and these problems with it have been there since I started using Affinity

Where is the "Snap to Node" option? Why isn't it in there - I just want to be able to drag nodes and snap them on to other nodes - why is there no basic option in snapping for this??? I still can't figure it out!

I'm thinking about taking the plunge on the full suite before the 14th but now I'm using V1 again and finding more problems with it I'm thinking maybe not

What has actually improved (so far) we're supposed to pay for the upgrade and then wait for these improved features?

I tend to find that having turned on most of the snapping options, I rarely need to touch them, and mostly leave it turned on.

I do agree it can be confusing. I wish the Snapping options were all in one place rather than half in the drop down, and half in the Pen tool.

I also wish it was a proper panel that could be arranged like the other panels, and left open for easy access.

As for snapping to nodes... Do look at the snapping options in the Pen tool itself.

• Snap—Controls node snapping:
    • Align to nodes of selected curves Align to nodes of selected curves—will horizontally or vertically align any node you drag to any other node on the same or a different curve.
    • Snap to geometry of selected curves Snap to geometry of selected curves—will snap dragged nodes to the same or different curve's path (or node).
    • Snap all selected nodes when dragging Snap all selected nodes when dragging—will snap multiple selected nodes, when dragging, to a "target" node on any selected curves.
    • Align handle positions using snapping options Align handle positions using snapping options—will snap a control handle using any of the snapping criteria currently set in Global snapping, e.g. to grid, guide, object geometry, key points, spread, margin, etc.
    • Perform construction snapping Perform construction snapping—allows control handle snapping:
      • inline with adjacent node.
      • to 90° from inline.
      • to reflected angle with adjacent control handle.
      • parallel to adjacent control handle.
      • 90° to parallel control handle.
      • to logical triangle.

These options are independent of the global snapping options.