You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MSI Installers

Hello, was wondering about this comment https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/learn/msix-and-msi-installer-guide/

>
On release of V2, only MSIX installers were available. Now, MSI installers are available on your Affinity Store account and on other relevant download pages.

Was wondering if the MSI installer for V2 exists, and where I can download it. (Currently I'm attempting to get V2 running on linux w/ Wine and some other "fun" forum posts I've seen). I understand if it doesn't exist or never will work, but I guess some people have gotten V1 to work w/ Wine on Linux, and I think the MSIX installer is throwing a monkey wrench into V2 successfully running on linux.
Thanks for your help!

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

48 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

The point of confusion here is that they have just been officially announced today as available "now" (see above link in OP post) yet have not appeared in the locations described.

Perhaps we are looking too soon after the announcement and there is an update to the downloads page that has not had enough time to roll out yet?

Or today's announcement accidentally rolled out a bit early and jumped the gun a bit?

Patience. Sounds like they will be here very soon.

The only installer currently available on my account's download page is still the MSIX:

image.png.1aa311c74d6936bf23a3736ca2022130.png

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

It's not just Linux Users who need a "normal" msi installer.. Those of us who need integration with any other photo tools (e.g. Lightroom 6) also need a "traditional" application and NOT some "Metro" App (APPX) crap.  (sorry - as an IT Professional, I hate  all APPX Apps - even standard ones built in to Windows like Photo Viewer and Calculator break ALL the time.. and trust me it's practically impossible to reinstall/repair them!!)

@Serif/Affinity: when will the .msi installer be available?

38 minutes ago, WilbChris said:

sorry - as an IT Professional...

I feel your pain. 2+ decades in IT before I retired and we got yanked around by MS a lot. Also by EMC, Sun, Novell, CA, SAP, SAS, IBM and even Red Hat ...   🤪

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

Something I'm not really clear on. If you already have v2 installed, will you need to uninstall it before installing the MSI versions?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Something I'm not really clear on. If you already have v2 installed, will you need to uninstall it before installing the MSI versions?

Serif can confirm but I expect you'll have to uninstall and reinstall. All the system stuff (registry, associations, etc ) will need to be pointed to the new installation path. That shouldn't touch your per-user config, though. Only just a couple of extra mouse clicks and waiting for it to finish. It would probably buy a good idea to back up your user settings first, but until Serif releases the MSI we're just speculating. 

Len

2 hours ago, Thomas Krocker said:

I just can't find the Affinity 2.0 Programs folder.

This FAQ may help, depending on why you're trying to find it: 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

36 minutes ago, Thomas Krocker said:

There is still the Registry Editor to completely uninstall programs if it has to be.

Uninstalling is handled via Start > Settings, Apps.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff
4 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I'm sure it's something our QA team will test when they get their hands in the MSI builds. When we know more will let everyone know.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:04 AM, PaulEC said:

Yep and then set all your preferences again (if you've set them in Affinity 2 Appx version)

:(

2 hours ago, WilbChris said:

Yep and then set all your preferences again (if you've set them in Affinity 2 Appx version)

I don't think we know yet whether the MSI and MSIX versions will coexist. But if they do, you're probably right that you'll need to set preferences again, or at a minimum copy the internal files from location to another. I'm guessing that files (or an entire directory) can be copied. But we'll have to wait to find out.

-- Walt
PC:

I too am trying to get Affinity Designer running on Linux (Debian 11). Since the last windows update (the nagging one telling me to get windows 11) I've switched to Linux permanently and my machine is MUCH faster. I'd love to get Affinity Designer running as it's the only App that I can't find a decent replacement for (workflow in Inkscape is too slow).

On 12/5/2022 at 9:54 AM, walt.farrell said:

I don't think we know yet whether the MSI and MSIX versions will coexist. But if they do, you're probably right that you'll need to set preferences again, or at a minimum copy the internal files from location to another. I'm guessing that files (or an entire directory) can be copied. But we'll have to wait to find out.

On Windows, the settings for all three apps are stored in the "%UserProfile%\.Affinity" folder (copy paste that path "as is" into File Explorer to see it, the system will automatically autocomplete the username and drive letter).

It seems to me very likely that will be preserved and carried forward during uninstallation/reinstallation.

The MSI should be identical to MSIX except for installation method and executable location. It would not surprise me if they could live side-by-side, but there would be no point in doing that because they will be the same version.

I am assuming all this on the basis that I wouldn't expect the program code to be re-written to package it with a different installer, and .NET-based code tends to be quite portable (it is a framework that usually allows deployment by simply copying files to the installation folder without any need for an installer at all).

Is there anything new in this case? 

Or any Solution how I can use the Suite with fslogixprofiles?

A few users need those Profiles because they have to switch their workstation. With the msix they have to install their Software everyday and running a script at every logon is also no solution.

It's a known issue with fslogix and msix and Windows Store apps.

• 1 month later...