You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Total Disregard for the Printing Industry

1 minute ago, dcr said:

Very nicely with scissors and melted wax.

NO ! Use tape, preferably tape with dirt on it. Then just opaque the dirt out on the line neg. Easy when you know how to make sure you are getting your weekly 6 to 10 hours of overtime. [I honestly never did that back-in-the day emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 11/29/2022 at 5:15 PM, Serigrafique said:

Super excited when I got an email about V2 and even downloaded the free trials, but after looking at the lack of added features, it's a big pass. I'll wait for V3 or V6 or V9, what ever it takes to make this software compatible with the printing industry (Almost 1 Trillion Dollar (US$) industry worldwide).

There is still no support for overprint fills and strokes for ink trapping and color mixing, spot or CMYK color separations, non-printable layers for die cut rules or digital finishing equipment. Let's not even mention the still clunky interface. It's not workflow, it's work stoppage. Need to pull down menus to change stroke weights and type sizes, really???

I have worked in the graphic arts industry for over 40 years from paste up and film to digital prepress and digital printing, and every major graphic software package since the original Pagemaker. I know a thing or two about the industry. The reason professionals use Adobe products is because they support this kind of work. Our designers and prepress technicians agree that Affinity files are challenging to work with, and the only thing worse is Canva crap. We charge extra for such files because of the time it takes to make them work with our equipment.

Bottom line is if your like me and don't want to pay for subscription software, be prepared to pay for it on the back end.

Go to facebook and try to explain this in the groups. Insta banned.  It is hilarious how many fanboys exist. Real problems that should have been fixed long ago. Example i keep giving people to which the have no answer to is serifs previous photo app. The raw develop of the previous app had more advanced features than v2. The only answer they have when provided with this proof is name calling. I wish they wouldnt take us for fools. I want them to succeed. I really dislike the way adobe runs things. 

Just a quick look through the threads in the Feedback forum:

• The print people want more/better print features (Adobe-class)
  • The UI/UX people want features found in Sketch or Figma
  • There are requests for advanced word processing features (thesaurus, grammar check) (Word)
  • Photographs want better RAW processing features (Lightroom)
  • A bunch of requests for exporting DXF files (3D, architecture etc.)
  • Requests for creating PDF forms (Acrobat)

Basically everyone wants the three Affinity apps to replace the Adobe suite and several other apps that cost many times more in total. Is that realistic? Good luck waiting for that. I'd be happy if they fixed the damn bugs.

3 minutes ago, tudor said:

I'd be happy if they fixed the damn bugs.

^ That comment of mine will have its 3rd anniversary next week. Happy birthday, comment #559459!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

29 minutes ago, tudor said:

• There are requests for advanced word processing features (thesaurus, grammar check) (Word)

Basically everyone wants the three Affinity apps to replace the Adobe suite and several other apps that cost many times more in total. Is that realistic? Good luck waiting for that. I'd be happy if they fixed the damn bugs.

The last photo program they had did have a bit more advanced features so it is reasonable wanting those back.

2 hours ago, tudor said:

I think what a lot of us want is to replace the Adobe suite, not necessarily with three Affinity apps.  Affinity was just the most promising solution back when Adobe enacted their scheme to make us pay continually to be able to access our own work.

Photos & Images: There are a ton of applications here to work with images, including RAW.  Affinity Photo is not yet the equivalent of Photoshop, but Affinity Photo plus other software can make a suitable replacement for less than the cost of Adobe.

Design & Illustration: As I have posted many times, I would really like for Affinity Designer to be able to do it all.  Of course, who knows if that will ever happen.  In the meantime, Designer plus VectorStyler does a fair amount of stuff.  And there are other alternatives as well and many of those are still less than the cost of Adobe.

Page Layout: This is the tricky one.  Affinity Publisher has not caught up with InDesign, not even InDesign of a decade ago.  And there really aren't a lot of options in this area.  QuarkXPress?  Well, if they wouldn't continually shoot at their own feet (and frequently hit the target), they could have had a solid chance at a comeback.  Scribus is promising but development there is so slow it seems almost dead.  There are a handful of others, but they don't seem any closer to InDesign than Affinity Publisher.  Additionally, while Photo and Designer can save to formats that allow sharing with Photoshop and Illustrator (or other applications), what can you share with Publisher?  A PDF?  IDML import/export would be nice, or at least some means of sharing files with other page layout applications.

And, I hate to beat on a dead horse, but the Internet activation scheme of v2 is completely undesirable.  I have no idea if I would be able to activate v2 apps again in five, ten or twenty years to be able to use it.  I have no intention of being Adobe'd again.  And, since, in the case of Publisher, there's no real way to share the files with another application, or even downsave to v1, you'd have your files essentially locked away.  No thanks.

I don't know anymore.  Affinity seemed promising, but I'm beginning to get the feeling they're not even trying anymore.  Maybe paying money to open source apps to help spur development may have been a wiser choice than investing in Affinity apps.  I don't know anymore.

6 hours ago, loukash said:

^ That comment of mine will have its 3rd anniversary next week. Happy birthday, comment #559459!

☠️

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR