You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lots of feature requests / improvements

Hi, Affinity

I will write here lots of feature requests and improvements that you'll should do in my opinion. Hope that you take my opinions into consideration.

Typography

- Better opentype features. I cant see when the font supports smallcaps or superscript or when Affinity generates them. It would be really useful to know 100% when Affinity generates and when the font supports them.

- Font selection menu: allow for a scrollbar its super slow to drag your mouse to the end of the list every time when i want to scroll.

Pentool

- Quicker Break and add anchor points to existing paths. I really often create basic shapes and add or delete segments to make my shape (shape building). At the moment i cant figure how to add new points to existing paths. I can delete points but it tries to keep the shape intact I have to press break curve before i can delete them.

- When using the pentool allow me to move the anchor points that i just have created (example: i add a new anchor point and its not in the correct spot allow me to move it quickly with spacebar). (IMPORTANT)

Color

- Allow me to drag colors to swatches library.

- Let me detach pantone and other color libraries from the swatches panel 

Misc

- Allow me to switch between pasteboard and non-pasteboard view. Or go pasteboard all the way (illustrator)

- Allow me to reset grid settings. (If i select isometric and then back to standard it keeps the isometric settings)

- When creating a new document show bleed options and show the bleed area in the document.

Affinity UI

- The icons should be updated to be prettier. (Hint you are a design software don't make the software look ugly).

- Allow me to detach aling and pathfinder windows that i can reorder the windows how i like.

- Allow me to aling anchor points.

- Artistic text tool and Frame text why? cant they be the same tool and if you drag it will create a text frame and if you click it will create Artistic text box.

Features

- Reflect tool. (IMPORTANT)

- Add Offset Path command or a panel. I use this hundreds of times a day. This gives me the exact same shape bigger or smaller. A panel would be the best solution for this i have a good idea on how it should look. (IMPORTANT)

- Rotate tool. I know that i can drag the center of each object but a rotation tool would we nice that i could just click and know how it will rotate and i could set specific degrees and copies. (IMPORTANT)

- Scale tool.

I am using Affinity 1.4

Here are some of my suggestions there are lots more but i cant remember all of them now. But those are the most important in my opinion.

Hope that you look into this and tell me how you feel about my suggestions and opinions.

Hi Pullapooh, thanks for your feedback. I'll just comment on the text issues.

The Typography panel will list features in italic if Affinity is synthesizing them, and in normal text if they are supported directly by the font.

We'll think about better scrolling for font lists, but scrollbars aren't really the Mac way any more. You can scroll with the keyboard, or with a touchpad or magic mouse.

Having separate tools for Art and Frame text brings a number of benefits. One is that you can select with the Art text tool by clicking. Another is that you can set the height of Art text by dragging with the tool. A third is that clicking on a path with the different tools determines whether you are creating path text or a shaped frame.

Rotate and Scale tools: are you aware of the Transform tab in the Studio? This will let you scale or rotate to an exact number (or percentage).

You can scroll with the keyboard, or with a touchpad or magic mouse

… or with the scroll wheel. Very quick: Just type the first letters of the font name.

Nice to have: realtime font features list (updates when scrolling the font list) …

… or with the scroll wheel. Very quick: Just type the first letters of the font name.

Nice to have: realtime font features list (updates when scrolling the font list) …

I use a Wacom tablet and i have to put the mouse cursor always at the bottom to scroll it is super slow, I don't have a mouse at all. :/

The same here. I don't use a mouse for over 20 years, now.
So, having a faster way to scroll the font list would be wonderful. And I know I can type the names of the fonts. But, sometimes, I don't recall the exact names of the font I need but I know it is in the last quarter of the font list or that is starts with an M but can't remember the whole name.

You can use the cursor keys, including page up and page down, and jump to top and bottom.

Using the cursor keys is much slower than dragging your mouse to the bottom. On my keyboard i don't have page down or up buttons (Apple wireless keyboard). And those two options aren't quite an intuitive way to use the font menu. I hope that Affinity tries to be as intuitive as it can be.

• 2 months later...

- Add Offset Path command or a panel. I use this hundreds of times a day. This gives me the exact same shape bigger or smaller. A panel would be the best solution for this i have a good idea on how it should look. (IMPORTANT)

Maybe this way helps you for now - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/1950-how-can-i-offset-the-path-of-an-object/?p=92060(in comments)