You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem exporting Tiff in Affinity Photo

Hi,

Not only am I NEW to this forum, I'm NEW to Affinity Photo and I'm in my dotage [ thats very old - so be kind to me] so not very tech minded [any help should be simple so I can understand]🤔 and to finish with I'm not into photo's just want to edit my watercolour art paintings.

After finishing my painting I scan with an Epson Perfection v600. I can edit most of my painting with the Silverfast programme; ie: colours/sharpness etc but need to use AP for removing backgrounds and the  new fill layer option. 

PLUS I needed to cut and paste part of my painting into a new document [I had two small animal study's on one piece of paper so needed to split these into TWO separate paintings] this I achieved following video instructions.

In Silverfast I set the output to 48-24bit with resolution at 600dpi. it scans as a tiff into my files.

In AP I OPEN the file I want to edit. Use the relevant tools to remove the background. Then go to export using the Tiff / uncompressed/lanzos3 non separable/RGB16-bit

But when I click export it saves as an AP photo file?

I thought it should save as a Tiff as it was a Tiff when I opened it into AP.

What/where am I going wrong.

Any help would be appreciated 

Thanks in advance 😁

13 hours ago, DeeP22 said:

But when I click export it saves as an AP photo file?

If you truly use Export you cannot get a .afphoto file. However, make sure that you're looking at the complete file name including the extension. If you don't have the extension showing, then your OS may see a TIFF file and say to you "this is an Affinity Photo file" simply because Affinity Photo is set as the default app for handling that kind of file.

On Windows, in File Explorer, you can click on View and configure it to show the extensions, which I highly recommend.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It may be that the OS is showing an Affinity Photo file Icon (as this exported TIFF was made in Photo) but it should still be a TIFF.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you truly use Export you cannot get a .afphoto file. However, make sure that you're looking at the complete file name including the extension. If you don't have the extension showing, then your OS may see a TIFF file and say to you "this is an Affinity Photo file" simply because Affinity Photo is set as the default app for handling that kind of file.

On Windows, in File Explorer, you can click on View and configure it to show the extensions, which I highly recommend.

Hi Walt

Thanks for info

I had to go onto Google to find HOW TO do your instruction [as said no tech knowledge] did as you said and YES now the 'tiff' is shown in the extension. Though when I hover over the file it still shows as 'Item Type Inffinity Photo File'

15 hours ago, RichardMH said:

Can you post a screen shot of the export window? Other thing is to work out where Affinity has put it. If you hit export again it will show you the directory wher eit is.

This is screen shots [had to go on google to find out how to do it🙄] of the painting I wanted to split into TWO,  I have managed to do this in Affinity Photo when I saved the file through export  with the Tiff box ticked it still shows as an 'Item Type' Afiinity Photo File' on my folder screen when you hover over the file. Though as my comment to Walts post says it does show as a Tif until you hover over the file?.

If this is how it must be then thats okay and I'll carry on in my ignorance😁 Just as long as I can save as a Tiff, as this is better for printing my art onto cards and for my daughter to sublimate onto her products.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 144406.jpg 1.png

Screenshot 2022-11-30 154414.png

Screenshot 2022-11-30 143815.jpg 2.jpg