You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

More TOC styling weirdness

I have a new short document with a new TOC. Everything is completely new, nothing has been copied from any other document.

Here is how the TOC panel looks:

image.png.eff169c559f788489f783629fe48b4f0.png

I want to set TOC 1: Article author - large to italic. It should be easy, am I right or wrong?

TOC 1: Article author - large is based on TOC 1: Entry, which is based on Base.

Base has this setting:

image.png.1a8c81da4d32589e17160303500a1f90.png

TOC 1: Entry has this setting:

image.png.66bb07ffa3ecda0e903a0aaecde0aed7.png

Note the change for Font traits between the two panels. In TOC 1: Entry it is not available.

And in the TOC 1: Article author - large it is also not available:

image.png.1fe13668af644e15984e0f83efb4569b.png

If I set the font in TOC 1: Article author - large, I can then access the Font traits:

image.png.462bb42f3652ec1ed7d9243f947d5de4.png

However, this is still not right.

In the TOC I am a TOC 1: Article author - large paragraph, and it is bold.

I can remove this manually or I can use the TOC hamburger menu:

image.png.ef4683fc1b3b9f5131e2e6e94de9d1b1.png

I don't understand where TOC has got this bold setting from in the first place. In the document, Article author - large is a just a large font size + italic.

Fixing this TOC is (or seems to be) easy enough if I just specifically set the font for each TOC entry type, manually configure them, reapply the style and clear character styles.

But the questions are: why is this necessary at all? Am I doing something wrong here? Why does the TOC panel "lose" the Font traits drop down between linked styles?

1 minute ago, LondonSquirrel said:

But the questions are: why is this necessary at all? Am I doing something wrong here? Why does the TOC panel "lose" the Font traits drop down between linked styles?

It baffles me how convoluted editing the ToC styles is. It could well be just you and I that are having problems with it but I have read other comments from people who also don't understand it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.2 
Affinity Designer 2.3.1 | Affinity Photo 2.3.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.3.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

It baffles me how convoluted editing the ToC styles is. It could well be just you and I that are having problems with it but I have read other comments from people who also don't understand it.

In this case, as there is only placeholder text, I am happy to upload it. If you or anyone can offer any guidance I would be grateful. Either I am doing something fundamentally wrong (possibly) or there is something fundamentally wrong with TOCs.

2022-01-02.afpub

37 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

In TOC 1: Entry it is not available.

And in the TOC 1: Article author - large it is also not available:

You cannot set a Font Trait unless you have also set a Font. If you could, then what would happen if the parent text style were changed to one that didn't support the Trait you wanted to use?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You cannot set a Font Trait unless you have also set a Font.

But isn't that the purpose of the [No change] in the Font family box? Isn't it inherited? If not then I may as well manually set the font for everything and forget about inheritance.

Let's be clear: Base has the Font family set, and TOC 1: Entry has [No change]. If this is not inherited, why does the TOC have any font family? It has clearly inherited it, I would say.

I also somewhat disagree for another reason. If I set the Font family to [No change] the Font weight drop down is available. Are these inferred some way? Suppose there is not a Thin version of this font?

image.png.080d49d07891ff3e445e84756574542d.png

15 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

But isn't that the purpose of the [No change] in the Font family box? Isn't it inherited?

Yes, and since it's inherited, you can't change it while you have [No Change] specified;  the Trait is part of the Font specified in the parent Text Style.

17 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I also somewhat disagree for another reason. If I set the Font family to [No change] the Font weight drop down is available.

That one I cannot explain. It does seem weird.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, and since it's inherited, you can't change it while you have [No Change] specified;  the Trait is part of the Font specified in the parent Text Style.

But surely that [No change] only applies to that particular box? I can change the Font size, although that too is set to [No change]. I thought that [No change] meant [No change from what you have based this on]? 

I just disagree with this. The Font family is based on a specified font, so those attributes should be inherited.

I wonder what anyone else who is using TOCs is doing. I wonder if they manually set the fonts all the way through and laugh at people like me who think that inheritance is supposed to inherit.

11 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I don't understand where TOC has got this bold setting from in the first place.

I've found that if the Base text style Font Traits is [No change], the TOC often goes haywire and becomes bold. I don't know if the issue is specific to particular fonts or not. I don't have the font used in your file, so can't replicate the issue, but I'm wondering if setting the Base text style font trait would correct the bold issue.

11 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I want to set TOC 1: Article author - large to italic.

I wish I had something of value to add here... unfortunately not. I'm often frustrated by this in regular non-TOC text styles.

• 11 months later...

FYI this is a bug and the workaround is to define the font weight in TOC 1: Entry (or in the individual TOC text styles) so that the bold or italic you applied to some other text isn't inherited by the update TOC function. For example, I had this issue with my document. TOC 1: Entry was defined as Myriad Pro, just the font family, no weight. The problem won't occur if I change it to Myriad Pro Regular.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.3.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)