You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing multiple page PDF

Hi, I'm trying to transition from InDesign to Publisher and one thing I've been sorely missing so far is the ability to place multiple pages of a linked PDF into an AFPUB document.

In InDesign, there's a "Show import options" checkbox when placing a file, with a consequent dialog window which allows you to choose all pages (or a range) of a PDF file.

So if I want to place a 100 page PDF onto 100 pages of a document, I'll just create a document, add 100 pages, import the PDF, choose all pages and then I can simply scroll and click 100 times to place page after page. Not at all perfect but it works.

Sadly, I haven't found any way to place more than one page of a PDF at a time into Publisher (and I can't even choose which page of a multi-page PDF to place - it always places page 1 which I then have to manually change), which is inconvenient to say the least. Please, can you do something about this?

• Staff

Just to say, that method imports the PDF (so it will be editable), which in many cases is what you want. However the new place auto-flow feature was originally implemented because of the request many people had to place a multi-page PDF. Using this route each page of the PDF is added as a place file - meaning they could all be set to passthrough for example. This is a better method if you do not need to edit your PDF.

Lets say you had an A4 PDF with 100 pages. The way to do this is would be to add an A4 page to your Publisher document, create a picture frame the size of the entire page, then go to file-place and choose the PDF you want (without the picture frame selected). This will bring up the place panel. This allows you to choose which page you want to place, but also above the file thumbnail there is a > which allows you to expand to see all pages. Do that then hit cmd-a (or shift select first and last page to select all the pages you want to place) and then hit the picture frame. Publisher will then add all the additional pages to your document automatically and place each page of the PDF file separately on those pages.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• 1 month later...

However the new place auto-flow feature was originally implemented because of the request many people had to place a multi-page PDF.

Two questions about this new auto-flow feature with PDFs.

1) Using this workflow if you update the original PDF file will it update in Publisher like a linked file can?

2) Using this workflow do PDF annotations made in the original file come though without having to flatten the original PDF first?  

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2022 at 4:25 PM, Ash said:

However the new place auto-flow feature was originally implemented because of the request many people had to place a multi-page PDF. Using this route each page of the PDF is added as a place file - meaning they could all be set to passthrough for example. This is a better method if you do not need to edit your PDF.

This is method is great, except publisher becomes unstable (overall computer performance is visibly lower).

Is there any chance, we could maybe have an option to reduce display quality of those attached pdf's to avoid this (as in indesign) ? Other thing - file size is relatively big (irrespective of having files linked or embedded).

Thank you and best regards K

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

@Krzysztof Petrus Can you make a post in the bugs forum if you can reproduce that in the current retail build. I've just placed a PDF, modified it externally and updated it and there was no crash, so a video/some example files will help us reproduce the issue you are experiencing

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I'm using a german affinty Publisher v2 so my translation may be unprecise. However I found that there is a very convenient way to place multi-plage PDF documents into a Publisher document.

Instead of using "File -> Place", use "Document -> Place pages from Document" (or whatever the english translation may be - German: "Seiten aus Datei hinzufügen...")

You get a very handy dialogue.

A downside of this function is that it disregards the "preferably linked / preferably embedded" settings from your Document Settings. (There is a workaround for it which I might explain further, if someone cares.)

Screenshot 2023-09-22 214142.png

20 minutes ago, Foolix said:

Instead of using "File -> Place", use "Document -> Place pages from Document" (or whatever the english translation may be - German: "Seiten aus Datei hinzufügen...")

It's Document > Add pages from file.

And it's very different from Placing the file, because it requires that you have all the fonts installed, and opens it for editing.

And, as you say, it's not Linked or Embedded, so there's no way way to refresh the document if the original PDF changes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1