You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move nodes independently to get non rectangular crop

4 minutes ago, ngolay said:

I was hoping there was a way to adjust individual nodes in the crop tool so I could crop non-rectangluar shapes, but I don't see how to do that. Is it not possible in affinity photo 2?

The canvas will always be rectangular. It is possible to 'clip' shapes with other shapes which can be made by the various Shapes or the pen tool drawing curves. This may help

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks you for your reply. I will look into this, It's not exactly what I meant. I just wanted to be able to do a quick crop. Straight lines but not necessarily rectangular. SO I just wanted to select the nodes independently and I couldn't figure out how to do it. But I appreciate your response, and I see what you mean obviously if I am cropping I am also dealing with the canvas which is rectangular. I seem to recall maybe in photo shop a tool that would allow me to manipulate the nodes and then compensate for the shape... maybe it was some kind of perspective tool in the crop tool or something. I am currentling playing around with the affiniti perspective tool in conjunction with the crop tool and that will do the job today.  Sorry dumb question.

For Clipping, you can use any shape, even make your own. Then convert the shape to Curves, and using the Node Tool, move the nodes, add nodes, to get the desired shape to "crop". You're actually using a Clipping Mask, but the end result is about the same.

Here's a real fast example, starting with the Polygonal Tool. I essentially cropped to the flowers. If you want just the clipped portion and to remove the outside, you can opt to Rasterize and Trim. 

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD