You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP2 unresponsive and buggy when using Selection Brush Tool in this document

herhey

Hello everyone.

When I try to make a simple selection with the Selection Brush Tool in one of my documents CPU gets to 100%, AF2 takes like 1 minute to complete the selection and meanwhile becomes unresponsive. After that the whole program behaves buggy and super slow to render. I've tried closing the program, trying again and most of the times encounter the same problem. Tried disabling hardware acceleration with no luck.

I've been testing AF2 since a week ago and this is the first document I've experienced this problem.

I'm attaching the file for further tests (I just covered my niece for privacy reasons). How to reproduce:

1) There's a purple 4-shaped floater on the picture. Zoom in to it at 100%  (CTRL+1)
2) Use the Selection Brush Tool and roughly select the floater or part of it.
3) Again use the Selection Brush Tool while holding ALT key to deselect part of it.

If AP2 does not become unresponsive or really slow to render repeat some times steps 2 and 3.

test.afphoto

Affinity Photo 2.0.0.1640  Windows 11 Pro 22H2  CPUAMD Ryzen 3700X  RAM: 32 GB 3200 Mhz  GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB  NVMe M.2 WD Black Sn750 500GB   Monitors: 1 x Samsung 24" 1080p + 1 x Dell 22" 1050p

I think the problem has something to do with some of the Adjustments layers / Live filters. When I toggle visibility off to the Adjustments group I cannot reproduce the problem.

Affinity Photo 2.0.0.1640  Windows 11 Pro 22H2  CPUAMD Ryzen 3700X  RAM: 32 GB 3200 Mhz  GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB  NVMe M.2 WD Black Sn750 500GB   Monitors: 1 x Samsung 24" 1080p + 1 x Dell 22" 1050p

Ok, after some testing disabling layers one by one I found that Curve Adjustment layers in "LAB" color space are the cause of the problem. I'd appreciate if someone from Serif could take a look at it.

test.jpg

• Staff

Hi herhey,

You seem to be right here, changing from LAB to RGB seems to speed things up. Although, at no point did my machine go into a Not Responding state with the adjustments set to LAB - I did experience some delay in the selection appearing.

I think part of the issue here may be that we have quite a few adjustments which are all live and as you move around the canvas, they update and refresh so it's constantly drawing. Another issue is that I believe our marching ants run at 60fps so that then adds to the issue.

It is often recommended that if you're doing selections, consider hiding the adjustment layers.

The fact it's worse in LAB, to me, is somewhat unexpected so I will log this with the developers.