You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I've checked around the forum and I've seen this question come up before, so I'll mention it again.

Can we please have the ability to have "Save History with Document" as a default in app preferences. I like to have my history saved with my work so I can backtrack if I don't like something in the future, and often forget to click it before I save.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Saving the history of work sessions is not as good an idea as it sounds.

When you work all day on a document with many additions, it can end up saturating the memory and slowing down the actions in the software.

On the other hand, it may be nice to be able to save the history on demand (for rare use cases) in a single external file that can be loaded on demand. The history should certainly not be stored in the work file itself. In this case, the previous choice of whether or not to save to an external file is, of course, preserved from session to session, but only for each individual project: for example, I would want to save the history of a complicated or long job, but certainly not of all jobs; checking or unchecking another project would not change my choices on the current project.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

4 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

it might be nice to be able to save the history on demand (for rare cases of use) in a single external file that can be loaded on demand.

1. let's say you've been working on "My layout.afpub"
  2. enable Save History With Document
  3. Save As: "My layout with history.afpub"
  4. disable Save History With Document
  5. Save As: "My layout.afpub" to restore your original version

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I misspoke in English. I meant that sometimes, rarely, it can be useful to save the history and it is possible.

historique.png.68a27dbf8df74924ebc129c9db2ac6cc.png

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

• 1 month later...

Whether or not we want to live with the downsides of setting that as a default should be up to the user and how they like to work.

It's not uncommon for history to be saved in files and is the whole point of having non-destructive editing software. To downplay the value of it seems unnecessary if we're just talking about offering the OPTION.

• 2 months later...