You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ensuring the angle between two lines is 90 degrees

Hello - I'm a newbie to AD, and I think I need to use the construction snapping tool, but the instructions in the manual are pretty vague and I can't see what I need to do. How do I ensure that the angle between two lines is at 90 degrees?  There's a "square" node between the two lines, and I can rotate the object and use the guides, but I'm sure there must be a simpler way. For example, I want the angle at the bottom left to be 90 degrees.

Thanks for being understanding about the dumb question!

Thank you 🙂

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 1.00.28 PM.png

Edited by lovelyjubbly
clarifying

I don't know if this will get you what you're after...

• Select the Bottom-Left & Top-Left Nodes. With the Node tool, you can marquee select them or Shift +Click each one.
  • Go to the Transform Panel. By default it lives at the bottom right. If you can't see it go to Window>Transform, and select it if there's no check beside it.
  • The bottom left of the Transform Panel, is a field, R, which stands for Rotation. Just selecting those nodes in your shape, it should have some number showing. Try typing in 90. I think that should make the angle of the bottom line and left line 90°

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

That didn't ? Here's what I think you're wanting to do. If not could you provide a screen recording of what it is you're trying?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

30 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

That didn't ? Here's what I think you're wanting to do. If not could you provide a screen recording of what it is you're trying?

thanks Ron - what I want is for the bottom line to emerge front the almost-vertical line on the left hand side at a right angle ie there is a right angle in the bottom left hand corner.  The bottom line then needs to curve so that it meets the almost-vertical line on the right hand side, also as a right angle, like this.  I don't know how to do screen recordings sorry.

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 4.19.37 PM.png

Ok, gotcha!! I'm not sure it can be done. I'll have to play around and see what I can come up with. In the meantime hopefully someone with more expertise than I will come along with a solution or definitive answer.. :)

1 minute ago, Ron P. said:

Ok, gotcha!! I'm not sure it can be done. I'll have to play around and see what I can come up with. In the meantime hopefully someone with more expertise than I will come along with a solution or definitive answer.. :)

Thank you for your help!  I can "bodge" it by tracing the vertical lines and then rotating them 90 degrees, then moving the nodes on my original curve to match. It works but is quite cumbersome and I hoped there would be a faster way😊

Made a video of my idea to get right angles on acute corners, still convoluted but guaranteed right angles 👍

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@firstdefence I guess we could use your method to set any angle by setting it in the Pie tool's Context Toolbar. I am running out of space in my brain for storing all these things I am learning.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

@firstdefence I guess we could use your method to set any angle by setting it in the Pie tool's Context Toolbar. I am running out of space in my brain for storing all these things I am learning.

yes It does appear to be quite a flexible solution doesn't. Funnily enough I got the idea from another unrelated post about sacred geometry and expanding the metatron cube for laser engraving. weird how life works sometimes eh!

image.png.f1e8e7301e99c3aca84196f9d6b9e7e3.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, lovelyjubbly said:

That is SOOO cute, love the little Pacman approach😊👍

Glad to help 🙃
giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47id379daw0kssvyav8j

21 hours ago, lovelyjubbly said:

Hello - I'm a newbie to AD, and I think I need to use the construction snapping tool, but the instructions in the manual are pretty vague and I can't see what I need to do. How do I ensure that the angle between two lines is at 90 degrees?  There's a "square" node between the two lines, and I can rotate the object and use the guides, but I'm sure there must be a simpler way. For example, I want the angle at the bottom left to be 90 degrees.

You were on the right track with Construction Snapping! It just works with Bezier handles.
Soooo, very simply 😃....

Get rid of that middle point.
Nudge (with the node tool) the straight line to get it to be a curved segment thus activating the handles you need (can be done other ways too).
Move them until the pink right angle symbols show up.
Now just move the handles in and out (shift will constrain the direction so you don't need to be careful) to get the curve shape you're after.