You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer is too expensive in my country

Hello, i cannot afford the product currently, i am a hobbyist that lives in brazil, basically every dollar a spend will cost five times more.
I am NOT asking for a free license, i just want a cheaper license instead of a very expensive one, just to have an idea, Affinity Designer would cost me R$200, which i currently dont have. just to remind, i am 13

Companies don’t usually offer discounted rates for currency conversion because anyone can now switch on a VPN and change their region to Brazil, for example.

Have you considered using Gimp? It’s free and is more than enough for a hobbyist. Also, Blender has ink tool and other drawing components- different idea but it’s free as well.

3 hours ago, Tia Lapis said:

Perhaps a educational license could help.

I think both Affinity and Apple's (not sure about Wndows) educational discounts only apply to small groups, departments, classrooms or entire institutions rather than individuals so I don't think it would even be an option in this instance... even then the 50% discount offered I assume would apply to the full retail price so it would only be 10% cheaper than the current 40% launch discount.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

4 minutes ago, cgaldieri said:

They translate the website, but dont convert the currency

My assumption (rightly or wrongly) is that they would expect payment in US$ but maybe someone from Serif can confirm? If I change the country to Brazil it shows the price in my local currency.

Is it only Designer you'd ideally like to buy on either Mac or PC?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

The price quoted in the first post in this topic, when I converted it to US dollars yesterday, is actually slightly less expensive than it would be in the US. So I don't think that faking one's location to try to get a better price will help in this case.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
On 11/29/2022 at 2:20 PM, cgaldieri said:

They translate the website, but dont convert the currency

The currency displayed on the site will default to that of the users IP location. Where the currency is not supported by our payment portal like in this instance with BRL the site will default to USD.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:34 PM, cgaldieri said:

i just want a cheaper license instead of a very expensive one

We do not have any additional discounts available for V2 beyond the 40% off launch offer, sorry.

Any spelling or grammatical errors found in the above post are deliberate and included to boost the self-esteem of those who spot them.

Hey, the currency exchange rate is wrong in my local curreny (Polish złoty). How can I force the website to charge me in Euros?

Here's what the Serif website shows me at the checkout:

image.png.041991c80f347aabe7a1f1bc9ca912ca.png

But the actual price on main page is €119,99 which is around 560 Polish Złoty.

The price at Microsoft Store on Windows 11 is 569 Polish Złoty which is a lot closer to €199,99 but I'd rather pay directly to Serif.

MS Store screenshot:

image.png.601d7cd7b885d67e76e8c2ba5c7d2877.png

1 hour ago, stranded said:

the currency exchange rate is wrong in my local curreny (Polish złoty). How can I force the website to charge me in Euros?

To be honest I think there's a bit more to it than just looking at exchange rates and picking whichever currency gives you the best deal!

For example, the current (discounted) price for the Universal Licence is advertised as $99.99 in the US and as £89.99 in the UK. If you check these prices, using online exchange rates, they are not the same amount; it is slightly cheaper to buy in the US than in the UK. (This is not unusual, as the same item is often cheaper in the US than the UK; even if it is a British product!) There are various reasons for this, including different local tax rates (VAT in the UK), and also simple marketing decisions. ($99.99 or £89.99 in an advert looks better than $109.47 or £82.19). I assume that the reason that a lot of companies tend to set the "base" rate of their prices in US dollars is that the USA is their biggest market.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

True but that's because there are tax differences between USA and Europe. Considering Poland is a part of EU we should be allowed to chose between our own currency and Euros.

I have no idea why isn't there an option to pay in whichever currency I prefer. I'm not even saying that I would like to pay in US dollars because that would probably be illegal not to take 23% VAT from me.

I just want to use Euros because it's totally up to me to take care of exchange currency, not Serif.