You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Really embarrassed

17 hours ago, loukash said:

No religion involved.
Fully awake.

Each of us has its own attitude toward the life and the work. In my life I had to work much more than hard but I was lucky and I could get some important result.

But I needed always to believe: believe in the ethics of the Company, believe in our projects, in our actions, believe in respecting customers. In my opinion, the quality comes from heart, before than brain or accounts.

Is that the truth? Anyone can have their opinion.

As I said, I was lucky, and in my case it worked.  

More than 30 Macs, from 1984 Mac 512K Plus to 2020 iMac 27" i9

20 hours ago, Gianni Becattini said:

and was in some way proud of it, giving my microscopic help to a growing and "different" software house.

While expecting lifetime free updates? 

V2 changed deeply my attitude: trusting Serif, I jumped on it immediately, but I had to understand that there were very few improvements,

So use V1? Or request a refund? But that would undermine your position that Serif is “unreasonable.” 

Serif formula could not be sustained in long periods, without some tricks like the bigs.

I would hardly consider charging a small fee for V2 a trick. Btw Serif brought us years of free updates. 

A trick would be creating a monopoly by buying up startups, push proprietary formats, then force a perpetual LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION FEE for access. 

That, my friend, is a trick. Anything else is simply business.

No, Boston, you are wrong seeing a bad willing from my side. I decided to buy the new release in first moment I sow it. As I said, software development costs.... The biggest point is selling something that does not work correctly. I believe that if you buy a dishwasher that chops your dishes, you were not happy. My company manages electronic payments. If we loose your money, are you going to simply forgive us?

The other point is that many of us hoped that the new update could bring features that we were expecting since years. "Hundredths of improvements". A Publisher V2 not able to simply cross-reference pages as it should? Even free packages do that. You must admit that it is a bit disappointing, isn't it?

In my absolutely personal opinion that I hope does not offend you or others, it is a mistake, more than a trick, to use the trust of the customers to sell something that was not adequately tested. I should have been more prudent before buying, you are absolutely right. And obviously I will try to be not so dumb in the future.

More than 30 Macs, from 1984 Mac 512K Plus to 2020 iMac 27" i9

7 minutes ago, Gianni Becattini said:

No, Boston, you are wrong seeing a bad willing from my side. I decided to buy the new release in first moment I sow it. As I said, software development costs.... The biggest point is selling something that does not work correctly. I believe that if you buy a dishwasher that chops your dishes, you were not happy. My company manages electronic payments. If we loose your money, are you going to simply forgive us?

The other point is that many of us hoped that the new update could bring features that we were expecting since years. "Hundredths of improvements". A Publisher V2 not able to simply cross-reference pages as it should? Even free packages do that. You must admit that it is a bit disappointing, isn't it?

In my absolutely personal opinion that I hope does not offend you or others, it is a mistake, more than a trick, to use the trust of the customers to sell something that was not adequately tested. I should have been more prudent before buying, you are absolutely right. And obviously I will try to be not so dumb in the future.

Perfectly valid opinion to hold. Just ignore the trolling. There's a few people who will brigade posts and there's not much that can be done about it. Serif doesn't moderate the forums (that I can tell), but they're likely reading your posts. There's many posts like this that have been made, so you're not in some kind of minority. I'm unaffected by the V2 issues (yay!), but I can see that it's happening for others and is causing legitimate issues for them.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

3 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Perfectly valid opinion to hold. Just ignore the trolling. There's a few people who will brigade posts and there's not much that can be done about it. Serif doesn't moderate the forums (that I can tell), but they're likely reading your posts. There's many posts like this that have been made, so you're not in some kind of minority. I'm unaffected by the V2 issues (yay!), but I can see that it's happening for others and is causing legitimate issues for them.

Brigading, trolling? The front page is dominated by rant after rant. Positivity posts congratulating serif were shill bombed within minutes. There are constructive ways to express dissatisfaction without having to resort to character assassination or slander. 

OP did not mention technical issues until later in thread, which obviously no one would argue with. Saying otherwise is somewhat disingenuous. Only slander and misleading remarks catch my attention and merit my attention. 

"Really Embarrassed" is not a constructive thread title and does not convey a technical issue in anyway. It is the very definition of trolling. The sky is not falling, and hyperbolic writing is not at all productive. 

Next.

This thread is fascinating.

If there was any "trick" perpetrated by Serif, it was forcing people to purchase Version 2.0.0 in order to get the $99 price point.

I am way too savvy a computer user to EVER immediately buy and install any version X.0.0 software, and yet here I am.  I feel like a complete dope.

I don't trust Apple's iOS X.0.0 releases.  Why on earth did I trust Serif?

Initially, I thought I was doing it to support Serif's continued efforts.  But them I went and installed and actually used the software, like a chump.

Oh well.  Beta testing software after its public release is fun.

But, note to the OP:  there's a reason companies aren't early adopters of new Windows OS releases. (I'll bet some free production work that your company is not running Windows 11.) Same principle applies to all software. Your IT person should have Automatic Updates disabled on all pc's, and they should be pushing them once their stability has been verified. IT-101.

46 minutes ago, NewInBoston said:

Brigading, trolling? The front page is dominated by rant after rant. Positivity posts congratulating serif were shill bombed within minutes. There are constructive ways to express dissatisfaction without having to resort to character assassination or slander. 

OP did not mention technical issues until later in thread, which obviously no one would argue with. Saying otherwise is somewhat disingenuous. Only slander and misleading remarks catch my attention and merit my attention. 

"Really Embarrassed" is not a constructive thread title and does not convey a technical issue in anyway. It is the very definition of trolling. The sky is not falling, and hyperbolic writing is not at all productive. 

Next.

That's a lot of words just to say "My needs are more important than others, therefore I can be disrespectful towards anyone whenever I please".

I peaked at their history before posting. There's no character assassinations in his posts. They clearly have a language barrier, but in your eyes it means a free pass to treat another human being like literal dogcrap. "Next".

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%

44 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

That's a lot of words just to say "My needs are more important than others, therefore I can be disrespectful towards anyone whenever I please".

I peaked at their history before posting. There's no character assassinations in his posts. They clearly have a language barrier, but in your eyes it means a free pass to treat another human being like literal dogcrap. "Next".

No, not at all. And you did this last thread to another user - appeal to victim status. I don’t have the habit of seeing others as disadvantaged, to me the writing was clear. 

Hailing for technical support (which everyone here supports) is not the same as what was posted. 

My writing is blunt but civil. Rants posted on a public forum are not free of criticism. Thanks for reeeeeeeeading!

5 hours ago, Gianni Becattini said:

This should be your main post thesis, I would not have commented.

I can empathize with you, fair points. I don’t agree with them, but that’s your right. 

But this is not affecting everyone so I am not sure it is the right approach to call Serif untrustworthy due to isolated experiences. I also would love a bug free experience for all software I use, but that is not the case.

3 hours ago, NewInBoston said:

This should be your main post thesis, I would not have commented.

Everyone aims to please you... your highness.

Can you list the things that can be posted, and how they can be worded such that you won't comment?

Speaking to OP's original post, he does hit the nail on the head regarding smaller companies having to kowtow. I suspect we're seeing this with the appstore situation. In the V2 rumor threads, the first leak was an Apple spotlight of Serif products tied to IPad's release announcement. I suspect the fast timing of V2 had a lot to do with its release date since their programs were heavily featured throughout as depicting the iPad's capabilities and it would've been a lost opportunity to not be ready when this interest would be building. The way I see it, they did a deal with the Devil. It comes with benefits but came with serious caveats. I don't think they wanted to go about things the way they did with the pricing and maybe even early release. Though they have released unfinished/bugged stuff in the past. 1/3rd of their base is from that market (I thought I saw it quoted as 35%), so they bent the knee to keep Apple happy. I guess at a 40% discount, they assumed most would tolerate it. Outside of the forums, that does seem to be the case from what I have seen.

Monitor 2 4K @ 150%