You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Galaxy S22 Ultra DNGs opening very dark

john30

I have started to use DNGs from a Galaxy S22 Ultra and the image is opening very dark. They open OK in FastRawViewer and after asking  LibRaw support they think “Probably Affinity does not takes 'BaselineExposure' DNG tag into account on rendering” . Can this be corrected as it makes a lot more work dealing with the DNGs.  This widows and version  2 Affinity. This has been confemermd

jat https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/174810-dngs-opening-very-dark/

20221128_102148.dng 20221128_102308.dng

I agree, they do open dark, in AP 1 & 2. I also tried in Corel PSP 2023, and it was a lot worse.

In AP, it took 3.9 stops brightness for the tree branch image, and 2.5 stops for the small berries. So I think the Baseline Exposure is not read by Affinity Photo. I will say though looking at the Metadata, using an ISO of 50, should have provided sufficient lighting for the exposure.

Hopefully Serif can take a look to see if there's a bug with AP. My opinion is they were underexposed from the start. Shouldn't take that much adjustment from the start.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thanks I am new to both Affinity and the 22Ultra. Opening the images in FastRawViewer they weren’t as underexposed as I thought they might be. I downloaded some other DNGs before getting the phone and Affinity was OK with them, also phones not listed on the Affinity supported list (which appears to have stopped adding phones for years which is why I tried out the downloads)

Screenshot 2022-11-29 090359.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well many months on, nearly 6 now,  and still no fix. Google Pixel I am told works no problem, indeed I tried some old Samsung before getting the ultra 22 and were OK. I have had to warn other users to not use Affinity as its not supporting the DNG produced which is a pity. Lightroom apparently has no problems nor do many other programs which clearly any one with Samsung phones will have to use if the user RAW.

LibRaw do it properly as I contacted them a long time agao and they added the phone and said of Affinity not working correcly "

Dear John:

Probably Affinity does not takes 'BaselineExposure' DNG tag into account on rendering.

Please address your question to Affinity." I reported this in the initail bug report, the the DNG problem was Affinity not correctly reading the DNG files.

A quick example between the two Affinity and fastrawview

Affinity.jpg

FastRaeViewer.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have found a similar problem converting CR3 to Jpeg. The resultant images being totally 'Blacked-out' apart from a few extreme highlights. I think that the problem is associated with how Affinity 2.1.0 renders to an RGB type workspace and the values assigned to the pixels. There appears to be an error in that calculation, consequently the values assigned to those pixels appear to be 'Out of Range'.

As a Control I used Canon's own Digital Photo Professional v4 application for the same conversion process, the resultant images were accurate renditions of the original files. Opening these image files in Affinity 2.1.0, there was no distortion of colour or density.

Thus I can conclude that:

(1) the problem/defect is not due to any inherent factor within the source or destination file types.

(2) the problem/defect is entirely due to the algorithms and transitional processes used in Affinity 2.1.0

This is a 'Major Defect', in that the image files produced are unusable 'as is', but are repairable by 'Tone Mapping'.

Well withn my 22 Ultra DNG on facebook I have been told "Hi John, this is still with our developers to be investigated I'm afraid. It should hopefully be fixed in our next update."

Clearly there is a lot of flexibility in that and to take over 6 months that LibRaw support  did in as many minutes isn't impressive. Be interesting to see if it happens and what is meant by next update!

• 4 weeks later...

Well support has come back and they are passing it to developers. Interestingly they found the problem is much wider than I thought, as "the Apple Core RAW that we can use on the Mac and iPad version corrupts the file when opened".

Oddly they hope the problem may be fixed in Windows when the next LobRaw version is used. But as I have pointed out to them Affinity and FastRawViewr use I understand the same LibRaw version and FastRawViewer opens Samsung DNGs correctly but Affinty doesn't so doesn’t look to be LibRaw that’s the problem but as LibRaw support said last year “Probably Affinity does not takes 'BaselineExposure' DNG tag into account on rendering.”

• Staff

Hey john30,

All of this information has been available to the developers since the issue was initially reported by you. I update the affected versions with each app update that does not contain a fix as I also encounter this issue with my Galaxy phone.

LibRaw have replied to me again and have asked me to pass it onto Affinity developers. I have sent it to support but…

“For almost all smartphones with recording DNG-files, adding them to the list of supported cameras means "we got examples, checked, everything works." I don't remember a single case in the last few years when changes in the content of the LibRAW were required to decode DNG files recorded by smartphones (except for the somewhat special case of Apple ProRAW).

Google Pixel 7 and Samsung Ultra 22 are no exception, adding them to the supported list did not require any changes to the library, it's just a testament to "tested, everything is in order".

More general:

We do not provide direct user support for other's end user products (with the exception of ours end-user products, of course). If Affinity takes money from its users, they should be engaged in support without throwing this ball to us.

LibRAW is targeted to developers, we're ready to provide support for Affinity team, but they never contacted us.

We would be grateful if you could bring this message to Affinity support.”

So no one from Affinity has contacted LibRaw.

• Staff

Hi john30,

I am not sure why you raised a support ticket via email when the bug was confirmed in this thread unless you were under the impression support would attempt to contact LibRaw?

I think the issue here is that we haven't done a LibRaw pull since February which was just before LibRaw added support for your camera.

They said it was supported in the version Affinity uses, its the same one used in FastRaw, but there was an error in reading exposure by Affinity. Listing it it as supported they now tell me  just meant it worked without any changes. They did also ask that support was made aware of the exposure  issue not a LibRaw one.   And Afffinity sipport found there were problems with the Mac and pad versions.

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "DNG from Samsung phones opens up dark" (REF: AF-952) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2106".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.