You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Output - Broken

mmuller

I have now come across broken PDF output on two print documents - one for a magazine publisher and the other a print company. Creating PDFX4/3 or PDF v1.7 documents in Publisher 2 - will not process through RIP's. Copying and pasting the artwork content to Publisher v1 and creating a PDF using the same presets works perfectly…

It appears to be quite a serious bug in Publisher 2 - has anyone tested output with Raster Image Processors for high end print?

I cannot post documents here due to copyright, but happy to send to someone at Affinity to look at if necessary…

I'm facing the same issue. Created a small test file to highlight the rendering differences.

The screenshot shows the diffence between the PNG output (Rendered correctly) and the PDF output (fonts incorrectly rendered, the blue hues are off)

(Fonts used are SF Pro and New York, available from Apple Fonts)

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 11.00.04 AM.pngtest.png

test.afpub test.pdf

Edited by Nikhil

On 11/28/2022 at 11:02 AM, mmuller said:

I have now come across broken PDF output on two print documents - one for a magazine publisher and the other a print company. Creating PDFX4/3 or PDF v1.7 documents in Publisher 2 - will not process through RIP's. Copying and pasting the artwork content to Publisher v1 and creating a PDF using the same presets works perfectly…

@mmuller without access to a sample file it's difficult to comment but hopefully the dev team will be able to provide an upload link and will be able to take a look at the issue you're experiencing...

On 11/28/2022 at 4:04 PM, Nikhil said:

I'm facing the same issue. Created a small test file to highlight the rendering differences.

The screenshot shows the diffence between the PNG output (Rendered correctly) and the PDF output (fonts incorrectly rendered, the blue hues are off)

(Fonts used are SF Pro and New York, available from Apple Fonts)

@Nikhil, the blue strip PNG file is linked in your document and you didn't include it with your sample file but the obvious initial conclusion is that you have an RGB PNG graphic placed in a CMYK Publisher document... If you exported this as a CMYK file then it's not surprising that you are seeing a colour shift when compared to your PNG RGB export but it would be helpful if you could upload the PNG graphic and also provide a screenshot of the PDF export settings used for your PDF file...

The EXIF data for the PDF seems to indicate the exported Colour Space for the PDF file is Device Grey rather than RGB or CMYK?

I believe both SF Pro and New York are Variable fonts, which are not yet supported in the Affinity suite so I highly suspect this is the reason why they are not rendering as expected in your exported PDF file...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

I am also having trouble exporting to CMYK for the PDF option in publisher 2. 

Also, I absolutely cannot find the color tab in document setup for me to change or assign color profiles to a single document. Has it moved or is this also a bug ?

Thanks

Edited by hntaba
forgot to mention app version

4 hours ago, hntaba said:

I am also having trouble exporting to CMYK for the PDF option in publisher 2.

@hntaba, can you elaborate, can you perhaps upload a screengrab of your PDF Export settings with the Window expanded so we can see all your settings. What is the exact issue you are experiencing when trying to export to a CMYK PDF?

4 hours ago, hntaba said:

Also, I absolutely cannot find the color tab in document setup for me to change or assign color profiles to a single document. Has it moved or is this also a bug ?

File > Document Setup

154443779_DocumentSetup.jpg.7e95a313ebb0254761b54173a84ea886.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

We have just released Affinity Designer 2 v2.0.3 beta that has several program fixes is it possible for you to download this and let me know if you have the same issues with the PDF export, I have tested the .afpub file posted here and it is exporting correctly for my

30 minutes ago, DWright said:

We have just released Affinity Designer 2 v2.0.3 beta that has several program fixes is it possible for you to download this and let me know if you have the same issues with the PDF export, I have tested the .afpub file posted here and it is exporting correctly for my

Will do @DWright- I can send the files somewhere securely if needed? Bizarrely - I was at NTU on wednesday and could have dropped the files in to you if I had thought more about your location…

28 minutes ago, DWright said:

I can send you a Dropbox link for you to upload the files directly to me.

@DWrightI'll test version 2.0.3 and if they appear to exhibit the same issue that would be great - the files also seemed greatly inflated between PDFX4 in Affinity Publisher v1 and v2 too