You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there anything new in procedural live filter ?

Like accessing/sampling  beneath  image  to modify   like some other live filters do?  Like displace one. Can I do my own displace  with procedural filter?  I mean sampling not the pixels the filter is applied to but  what's beneath  that layer ?

• 1 month later...

As far as I know, there have been no additions/changes to the Live Procedural Texture filter in V2.
(I would be happy to be proven wrong on this.)

If you would like to suggest new functionality then you can make a request in the relevant section of the forums (or, even better, look for an existing request and ‘add your voice’ to it.)

On 11/28/2022 at 11:35 AM, kirk23 said:

Like accessing/sampling  beneath  image  to modify   like some other live filters do?  Like displace one. Can I do my own displace  with procedural filter?  I mean sampling not the pixels the filter is applied to but  what's beneath  that layer ?

To add my perspective

• The PT filter is intended to create textures. It can use positional information (x,y, rx, ry, etc), and access colors of pixels from that positions. It cannot access colors of pixels at different positions. So a filter who can do that should get a new name, e.g. universal blend filter
  • A filter which can access colors at different positions would belong to a different filter category, either blur or distort or special cases like apply image / equations.
  • I would really appreciate having more powerful live filters, being able to:
    • access at least 2 or 3 input layers (destination, layers below, manually selected source layer or external file)
    • allows to give blend formulas like apply image
    • allows to access colors from any x y position like equations
    • allows to access any color channel
    • allows to use build-in color format conversion RGB/CMYK/LAB and HSL/HSV AND B&W using pre-defined conversion presets
    • allows to handle alpha as i like, overriding the regula alpha blending (apply image does not allow alpha channel formulas)
  • Macros should not burn-in layer content during capture. It should be possible to specify layer by relative position, or changing the baked-in content by fresh one from the current document. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 1/14/2023 at 1:01 PM, NotMyFault said:

access at least 2 or 3 input layers (destination, layers below, manually selected source layer or external file

some other live filters can access a layer bellow  so  it seems really weird why PT can't do same .

28 minutes ago, kirk23 said:

some other live filters can access a layer bellow  so  it seems really weird why PT can't do same .

Have you an example?

All filter, including PT, see what is „below“ in the sense that their input is the result (blend) of everything either below, or the parent layer. The layer blend range (source / dest) allows to adjust the mixture. But you cant access parent / layers below as separate variables at pixel level individually, and have different „blend range“ factors within one filter layer. Its a global factor, lot local per pixel.

only e.g lighting filter allows to use one specific (loaded) other layer. But again, all blend actions are global on the overall layer.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.