You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hide Text Selection Brackets/Handles: How?

How do I hide the selection brackets/handles around a text object whilst still having it selected so I can visually preview it without the HUD clutter? The equivalent in Adobe Photoshop is [command + h], which stands for "hide", I suppose. This works across all tools and all manner of selections.

It generally has three states:

1. Hide guides

2. Hide selection brackets/handles and/or Masks

3. Re-Reveal all guides, brackets and/or masks

Is there an equivalent in Affinity Designer?

"H" or "h" is the hand (or pan) tool. It's also releasing the selection, making it useless for hiding selection brackets and continuing working, because the object to interact with is temporarily released whilst pan/hand tool is active.

Just typing "H" or "h" (or any other printable character by itself) while in text entry mode would be interpreted as entered text & inserted at the text cursor. So any keyboard shortcut usable in text entry mode would have to include at least one modifier key (like Command or Control) to avoid being interpreted as entered text. The Alt/Option key is  not available for this because it is used like the Shift key to enter some characters like © or †.

⌘+H conflicts with the standard OS X keyboard shortcut to hide the current application (which Affinity apps support). 

Tapping the escape key twice or clicking outside the text box will exit text entry mode & remove the guides, but of course then you can't keep entering text. You can use that as a quick check, & then double click inside the text area to reenter text entry mode, but I think that is all Affinity supports.

Edited by R C-R

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm not wanting to continue entering text. I want to change the font. And see the font without handles all over it.

How is it impossible to hide the selection handles, and have the object still selected?

Think about any object. Doesn't need to be text, I'm not in text entry mode, just selected object.