You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all - new user to Affinity Photo after tossing PSE 14 over the side.  I have encountered a bit of a problem and need a recommendation here, if possible.  If I import photos from my camera to my external hard drive and it goes through the Photo app on my macbook pro, it converts my raw .NEF files to .jpeg automatically and I have no chance to change.  A workaround I have come up with is to use the software (Nikon Transfer 2) included with my Nikon camera is to download to a Nikon folder, rename the folder, then move or copy the folder to my ext hdd.  Is there an easier way to do this, or do I need to invest in another piece of software for a DAM?  so far, I have spent hours this afternoon trying to find a simpler way to preserve my raw files when downloading from my camera to my ext. hdd.  Ideas or suggestions appreciated.  Thanks,

Hi High Desert, 

Can you mount your camera's storage as a volume on your Desktop? 

If so, you should be able to explore the Camera's folders, select the .NEF files & drag them to a location on the external hdd of your choosing. 

Hope this helps. 

Paul. 

If you are shooting in RAW+JPEG mode with your camera, Apple's Photos app (hereafter called Photos to avoid confusion) actually imports both versions as a "stack," but just displays & applies edits to the JPEG version by default. There is a "Use RAW as Original" option on the Photos Image menu you can use to change this to use the RAW version instead.

Unfortunately, I don't own a camera that shoots in RAW+JPEG mode so I can't test how this works for these stacked RAW+JPEG files, but I have downloaded a .NEF file from http://www.rawsamples.ch/index.php/en/nikon & I can confirm that the Affinity Photos extension for Photos can be used to edit the NEF file in Photos, & AP will open the RAW file if you use the media browser to access it in the Photos library.

For some reason, the opened RAW file shows with a jpg extension in AP but switching to the Develop persona allows you to develop it, so I assume that means it really is opening the RAW file.

It may work differently with RAW+JPEG stacks but you will have to test that for yourself.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7