You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection Brush Tool outline disappearing

I have a photo of a necklace where I want to select circular parts to change color. I've always used the Selection Bruch tool without issue. this morning when I use it - I select 1 item, the circle of ants show up, correctly and as soon as I move the curser, outline of the circle brush I'm using disappears. If I randomly select an area, and click, ants will show up in the correct dimension, but I can't see the outline to know proper placement as the outlined circle/brush shape has disappeared,. "Show Pixel selection" is clicked/on.  It seems to be the only tool that is having this issue.

Using a brand new, 4 month old MacBook Pro.  I had no issues until I downloaded Ventura last night. I bought Affinity 2 hoping it would cure the problem. It didn't 't. 

I'm seeing exactly the same - as soon as I use the Selection Brush, the pointer changes to an arrow (although the Selection Brush is still active in the toolbar).

Looks like a bug, but you can get round it by typing w (the brush shortcut) and the correct brush shape will reappear - until of course you use the brush again. Another 'fix' is to briefly hover the pointer over the toolbar. Again, the correct brush shape reappears.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Same issue...the brush remains a cross-hair and I can see the brush changing size in the properties panel but  the cross-hair remains unaltered in size. The issue happens intermittently

Light travels faster than sound. That's why someone can look bright until you hear them speak.

1 hour ago, killzen said:

Same issue...the brush remains a cross-hair and I can see the brush changing size in the properties panel but  the cross-hair remains unaltered in size. The issue happens intermittently

I'm not very familiar with MAC OS, so I don't know if this could be the case. In V2 (Windows), they made the Caps Lock button a modifier that hides the Brushes preview. I was caught by this, as it was not present in V1. It is not mentioned in the Help files, online and off. The only place Serif mentions this is their website under Tech Specs.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Ron P. said:

I'm not very familiar with MAC OS, so I don't know if this could be the case. In V2 (Windows), they made the Caps Lock button a modifier that hides the Brushes preview.

On my Mac enabling Caps Lock makes the brush crosshair always visible & hides the brush preview once I start painting with it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Caps was the first thing I checked and they weren't on. While using it, when it disappears, I on/off caps, the circle reappears. and then disappears as soon as I use it again.  This isn't an acceptable solution.  It is happening on all my brushes, not just selection brush. I fear I'm going to have to pony up for Photoshop. 

Like R C-R I am not seeing this, when I use the Caps Lock I only get the crosshair. But when I turn Caps lock off I don't get the crosshair, just the brush outline. In my Preferences I have the following selected. This is in the User Interface panel, plus I should mention that I have a Wacom Tablet.

1657040955_ScreenShot2022-11-29at7_45_19AM.png.50968e8d34a1644bf086fd9047a0185b.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2022 at 3:50 AM, Ron P. said:

I'm not very familiar with MAC OS, so I don't know if this could be the case. In V2 (Windows), they made the Caps Lock button a modifier that hides the Brushes preview. I was caught by this, as it was not present in V1. It is not mentioned in the Help files, online and off. The only place Serif mentions this is their website under Tech Specs.

This worked for me on win10. Thank you!