You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer V2 getting really slow and laggy after some time

SKT7

I am still using V1. V2 is very slow , especially when zoomed in, painfully slow when trying to clean up a vector. Why isn't there a option for this yet?

V1 is my only way to go for work. So much faster and reliable. Wish this would get fixed. I have owned since the day it was announced and couldn't even use till recently due to the MSIX ( work won't let me use them ) . So just started with MSI, but so many bugs.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

The most worrying thing is the lack of information from the developers. Months have been passed from the release and the problem still affect the workflow. It can't be used for any designer, and it seems to be a recurrent problem. I've installed the V2 version on a new laptop with Windows 11 and a RTX 3050 and same problem.

Bugs and problems of stability and performance happens, it's not a big deal, but during several months after a release... That's not normal at all.
Sometimes I really regret of the purchase.

I have the same. On Windows 10 as well as on freshly installed Windows 11. Hardware: i5-9600, 16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro K2200 (4GB). After about half an hour of work, the program slows down drastically. Only reboot helps. I had no such problems with version 1.

Jumping in on this convo - having the same issues. Thought it was my computer but never lagged this much when using Affinity 1. 

Any update on this? 

I create pretty heavy projects and Affinity 2 is just too slow. Unfortunately will be moving back all projects to Affinity. 

Hope this gets fixed

I've been having this issue for years dating back to Designer V1 and the same issue has remained in V2. My job is making .NET Windows software so I've done some performance captures during the slowdown which hopefully might give the developers a bit more insight. I don't work with very heavy scenes, my normal workflow is to create a few scratchpad artboards, drop some reference images and then use the pen and shape tools to make my designs. I'm generally not using any advanced features.

The first perf capture is after about an hour or working. At this point clicking on objects is taking about 1 second to register and about the same time to switch tools. Memory use is around 3GB on a 32Gb machine (Designer is allowed 16GB in the settings). Dragging things around is very choppy. If I restart Designer everything comes back up to speed and memory usage drops to around 800MB. Not sure if that's relevant as the undo buffer won't be using any RAM on a fresh boot. The second attached image is the perf capture after a fresh boot with the same scene loaded.

An interesting new symptom that has appeared in V2 is that the Designer process no longer exits properly when it's got into this slow state. I have to kill it with the Task Manager before I can launch it again. The application window is not visible, only the process still exists.

The culprit in both cases seems to be Serif.Interop.Persona.DisposableResources.Find() which, in my naive interpretation sounds like a memory leak or cycle in the Garbage Collector. If I break the debugger while the process is trying to exit it never leaves that Find() method.

Anyway, hope that helps. Happy do do any more testing as this happens pretty much every time I do any work in Designer.

After 1 Hour.png

Fresh Run.png

On 3/10/2023 at 11:57 AM, Balakov said:

I've been having this issue for years dating back to Designer V1 and the same issue has remained in V2. My job is making .NET Windows software so I've done some performance captures during the slowdown which hopefully might give the developers a bit more insight. I don't work with very heavy scenes, my normal workflow is to create a few scratchpad artboards, drop some reference images and then use the pen and shape tools to make my designs. I'm generally not using any advanced features.

The first perf capture is after about an hour or working. At this point clicking on objects is taking about 1 second to register and about the same time to switch tools. Memory use is around 3GB on a 32Gb machine (Designer is allowed 16GB in the settings). Dragging things around is very choppy. If I restart Designer everything comes back up to speed and memory usage drops to around 800MB. Not sure if that's relevant as the undo buffer won't be using any RAM on a fresh boot. The second attached image is the perf capture after a fresh boot with the same scene loaded.

An interesting new symptom that has appeared in V2 is that the Designer process no longer exits properly when it's got into this slow state. I have to kill it with the Task Manager before I can launch it again. The application window is not visible, only the process still exists.

The culprit in both cases seems to be Serif.Interop.Persona.DisposableResources.Find() which, in my naive interpretation sounds like a memory leak or cycle in the Garbage Collector. If I break the debugger while the process is trying to exit it never leaves that Find() method.

Anyway, hope that helps. Happy do do any more testing as this happens pretty much every time I do any work in Designer.

After 1 Hour.png

Fresh Run.png

I hope they can fix things now

I was recently emailed back by one of the developers. Apparently, the MSIX versions of the apps can be a bit buggy, so they recommended me to download the .exe installer versions instead. I haven't been using designer as much recently, but in my small amount of work it appears to be better?
On the downloads page you have to scroll down and find this part:image.png.a60a562d7ce3794ec4c1a92cba218d40.png
And install it with those files instead! Hope it works better for everyone else. Of course i'll update this post if it isn't in fact helping.

17 hours ago, AutumnPioneer said:

I was recently emailed back by one of the developers. Apparently, the MSIX versions of the apps can be a bit buggy, so they recommended me to download the .exe installer versions instead. I haven't been using designer as much recently, but in my small amount of work it appears to be better?
On the downloads page you have to scroll down and find this part:image.png.a60a562d7ce3794ec4c1a92cba218d40.png
And install it with those files instead! Hope it works better for everyone else. Of course i'll update this post if it isn't in fact helping.

I downloaded & installed the MSI versions as soon as I was aware they had been released (within 3 days) and have had few if any issues which I can not say was the case with the MSIX install. I would say that everyone should give the MSI version a try.

14 hours ago, Dangerous said:

I downloaded & installed the MSI versions as soon as I was aware they had been released (within 3 days) and have had few if any issues which I can not say was the case with the MSIX install. I would say that everyone should give the MSI version a try.

Thanks for this, I'll give this a try :)

On 3/10/2023 at 8:57 AM, Balakov said:

After 1 Hour.png

Fresh Run.png

I was thinking the same thing when i saw this topic about V2 getting slow over time, it happens on V1 too . I'm currently using V 1.10 and the the more time i use it the more choppy and laggy it gets. So the problem is not only present on V2. I have an  i5-11400H , 16 gb of ram and a rtx 3060, so is not hardware related. 

When i saw they were releasing V2 the first thing i thought was "i hope they fix the slow down thing" , but it got worse. I didn't try version 2.04 but i doubt things changed.

On 3/19/2023 at 11:52 PM, Dangerous said:

I had a good run on MSIX install as well and still experiencing very slow exporting & glitching/freezing at times during designing 

Having the same issues here. I find that what @Balakov observed in his use of Designer is particularly important—the spike in latency after some time is concerning on its own, but the fact that it often fails to exit properly after clicking the close button is an even bigger cause for concern.

I wonder if Serif have done anything towards patching this in beta builds—have they logged this issue or addressed it in their commits at this time?

My specs

Windows 11 Pro
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
64 GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

On 4/4/2023 at 6:52 AM, Wil JF said:

2.0.4 is unusable, a kind of "pomodoro" app, works around 30 minutes and then crashes. Beta 2.1.0.1736 is better but it still fails at some point, at least I was able to work a few hours on a project - until the moment it became very, very unstable.

Just curious if you PC or MAC?

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

Part of me has been wondering if this is related to how .NET is integrated into the Windows version of this program and could very well be something on Microsoft's side—hence the problem's presence in both version 1 and version 2. But I don't know how well that adds up since it seems to be more pronounced in version 2.

Now as for the radio silence from Serif on this issue, I don't know why that's the case. Is there something we haven't yet elaborated on?

I Just had some spare time  to play around with Designer 2 and I too after 10-20 minutes things become more sluggish, even when selecting a tool from the palette or selecting as layer takes a couple of seconds to process.

I had a go with the Beta, still experiencing the same issues

Affinity Photo Version 2, Affinity Designer Version 2 on PC and iPad

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

i7-7700K@4.20GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti

It's truly sad. Like other people in this thread I've gone back to using Designer 1 for my design work—it is a bit of an inconvenience as the shape builder doesn't exist in that version (and boy, was it fun to use), but I'd pick an old but reliable hammer over a new but spotty toolbox anytime.

Also, I am curious to know what processor you're using @Balakov and whether you think this Find() bug has anything to do with it, especially as I've been crawling the forums lately and several Serif mods implied that this is an issue with AMD CPU-based devices running this software. Then again, we're also seeing people on Intel Core processors experiencing this slowdown, so I can't be entirely sure about that yet.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/184265-affinity-designer-2-beta-performance-lag-so-bad-its-almost-unusable/&do=findComment&comment=1071617

1 hour ago, Aeromachinator said:

It's truly sad. Like other people in this thread I've gone back to using Designer 1 for my design work—it is a bit of an inconvenience as the shape builder doesn't exist in that version (and boy, was it fun to use), but I'd pick an old but reliable hammer over a new but spotty toolbox anytime.

Also, I am curious to know what processor you're using @Balakov and whether you think this Find() bug has anything to do with it, especially as I've been crawling the forums lately and several Serif mods implied that this is an issue with AMD CPU-based devices running this software. Then again, we're also seeing people on Intel Core processors experiencing this slowdown, so I can't be entirely sure about that yet.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/184265-affinity-designer-2-beta-performance-lag-so-bad-its-almost-unusable/&do=findComment&comment=1071617

Just tried using 2.0.4 for my last project on this film. NOPE. Crashed 5 times, and became so slow wasn't worth. 

Back to v1, 10 minutes and it was done. 

Hope 2.1 is out soon and works.  I have 2 weeks to try it out before next contract.

Gary

14 minutes ago, MC909 said:

After 10 years I've finally upgraded and I'm on a 13th Generation i9, 64GB DDR5 5600, Sanmsung 990 PCIe 4 M2, and a Quadro A4500. And I can report - IT STILL HAPPENS EVEN ON THIS THING!

After around half an hour, selecting most things results in a 1-2 second delay unless I close and restart the app - so you click things and nothing happens and you click again thinking it hasn't registered, so by the time it catches up its registered a double click. Infuriating.

The only thing that fixes any of this is restarting the apps. This happens in Publisher and Designer. Not sure if it happens in Photo as I never have that open long enough

That's terrible! But at least it narrows things down for us a bit. Since this bug still persists on machines with current generation specs, it's safe to guess that it has more to do with how well Version 2 of the suite is ported to Windows, which is... quite poorly, from my experience.