You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer V2 getting really slow and laggy after some time

SKT7

I have upgraded to 2.0.3, but the same problem still exists.

Every time I use Affinity Designer for a period of time (30min~60min), it becomes abnormally stuck.

The only effective solution is to close it and then open it again.

Hardware
i5-12600KF
32 GB ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also suffering with the constantly growing lag the more i use Designer. Even after closing the application, i can see Affinity Designer 2 with 3 crash handlers still running in Background Processes. It doesn't open back up unless I End Task and open it again. I have to do this every 30 mins or so just to keep the performance steady.

I have my ram usage allowance to 24gb, 64 undo limit and its still bad. In task manager it isn't even using up all that ram so clearly its a software issue. PLEASE fix!!

On 11/27/2022 at 4:52 PM, SKT7 said:

Hi,

When I use Designer V2 - it works fine for sometime (may be an hour or so - can't be exact on this) but then it starts slowing down and everything becomes really laggy. For example, the selection of any object, selection of a new tool from the toolbar by click or by keyboard shortcut, selection of a context menu button takes 3-5 sec or more!

The files I am working on are not that heavy, in fact most of them are under 1MB (it uses many gradients and vector brush) but still it lags severely. It seems like the lag is slowly creeping in before becoming noticeable. I reminds me of some earlier version of Designer V1 that had similar lag (which version resolved it I don't remember now) . 

I am using Designer V2 on Windows 10 V 21H2. (19044.2251) and face no such issue with Designer V1.
I have turned off hardware acceleration / Open CL after seeing some other threads on similar (but not exactly same) lag issue - however it hasn't helped. 

Please let me know if there's a solution that I can try or if it's a known bug when it would be fixed. 

Thank you. 

I also have the same issue after working for about an hour or so, it gets very slow. I end up rebooting. Windows for sure slows everything down if an update is due.

I have Windows 10 v 21H2, 8GB ram, 64-bit operating system.  It freezes a little when using dreamscape brushes, I have to make them smaller before I use them. Other brushes seem fine.

Thanks

Edited by Nats1

Welcome to the forums @Nats1

That seems to be two separate problems.

I would recommend splitting the ‘non-lag-related’ problem into it’s own thread (copy the text and paste into a new post), then editing your last post so it doesn’t contain the ‘non-lag-related’ problem, so the two problems don’t get all mixed up.

Mixing different problems together can be confusing for everyone and you may not get an answer as quickly as you might otherwise.

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @Nats1

That seems to be two separate problems.

I would recommend splitting the ‘non-lag-related’ problem into it’s own thread (copy the text and paste into a new post), then editing your last post so it doesn’t contain the ‘non-lag-related’ problem, so the two problems don’t get all mixed up.

Mixing different problems together can be confusing for everyone and you may not get an answer as quickly as you might otherwise.

Thank you, I'll do that.

5 minutes ago, Nats1 said:

Unfortunately I hadn't joined the forum until now (since using the old Serif back in 2003), so perhaps I'm too new to create a post on the affinity designer v2 folder/directory error issue I'm having.

You shouldn't be. Just go to https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/74-designer-2-bugs-found-on-windows/ and click Start New Topic.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You were able to create a post in this thread so I don’t know what would be stopping you from creating a new thread in the same section.
Try posting the new thread in the Questions section (where this probably should have been anyway, since it’s not yet known to be an actual bug) and see how you get on.
If there is a problem, try and get a screenshot of what you can see.

(I have a suspicion that a moderator may split this part of the thread into its own thread anyway if you can’t add the new thread in Questions.)

Besides the freezes, my AD is painfully slow on some big projects. I have one with LOTS of layers (I cannot count manually, and I put them in a group so the context menu doesn't help), and duplicate/move layers is getting very painful.

It's almost 2 SECONDS between the time I use the duplicate shortcut and the duplicate layers appears.

On 12/6/2022 at 2:12 PM, AlainP said:

I used Designer 2 for a little more than three hours recently and never seen any slow down or any kind of glitch. 

Windows 11 21H2, I have an old GTX1060  nVidia card. I noticed that most of the time people having problems have a more recent and better card.

Win 11 pro 22H2 / I have the same card 6gb (old but still the most popular card on the market btw) and Publisher becomes slow af after a while, totally unusable.

When I work on project with more than 2 pages, it's really a pain to work with.

---
I'm at a point where I'm seriously considering resubscribe to creative cloud... this is the last thing I want. I would love to work with affinity suite, I tried my best, but it is not possible. As graphic design is my primary source of income, I have no other choice.

I bought all V1 then V2 universal licence (as evidence of good faith), still so many issues.

I wish it worked with affinity, but in a professional context, it's not reliable enough.

I have a quite decent computer, 8cores/12 threads cpu, 32gb memory, ligtning fast SSD NVMe, and all my disk storage are ssd.  

Everything is up to date, from motherboard to chipset, everything.

I don't want to imagine those who work with slightly older equipment 😞

I know that i'm crying in the wilderness, and it's not going to solve anything.

I also know what some are going to say, it's my fault (I mean hardware or software), because for you everything runs fine.

And let's go for endless troubleshouting. I'm done, It's enought for me.

The reality is that everything runs fine on my computer, but I never had a smooth experience with affinity.

spacer.png

Edit : and I didn't even think to mention freezes and crashes.

I have to admit that I have more crashes since the version 2 release. I use mostly Photo and Designer and never did serious work with Publisher. 

It feels like if computer memory gets all mixed up. After a little while it become unresponsive, it stutters, then its back to normal... for a few minutes ... just to crash all of a sudden a few minutes later. 

I never lost any work as I save almost every two minutes, but I'm confident that crases will be a thing of the past some day.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

It feels like if computer memory gets all mixed up. After a little while it become unresponsive, it stutters, then its back to normal... for a few minutes ... just to crash all of a sudden a few minutes later. 

Exact the same here. I gave Designer and Publisher a few chances, but now that I have to finish my projects, I can't do any more experiments, so I did the whole layout again in Illustrator and Photoshop. At least it was pleasingly easy to export from the Affinity programs. I think the idea behind the Affinity apps is still great (and I will surely come back), but that doesn't help, if the apps aren't absolutely reliable. I very much hope that a lot will improve in the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, GenewalDesign said:

I think I can create a topic everyday for each freeze I get. Everytime when I'm zooming in/out.

More I use this software, more I'm telling me "You bought it too soon, it's not properly debugged"

Probably best to stick to the latest V1 affinity designer if you have it. Didn't have any performance issues and rarely ever a crash on it. 

Can always use v2 for any specific tools which aren't on v1 and then switch back. 

20 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You cannot open a V2 document in the V1 applications.
Once you save a document with V2 it cannot be later opened in V1.

Depends what you are doing but you can still copy between programs. Alternative is to export as a standardised format such as EPS or SVG. That way you can still work between both programs. 

Maybe I'm just odd but I often work between affinity designer (because in v1 the performance, brilliant snapping tools, grid setup, UI was great) and Adobe illustrator (for select tools like warping, blend tool, pattern, shape builder etc) and have to save as EPS or SVG frequently or copy over and rescale if the dimensions change.  

5 hours ago, APW-Design said:

Depends what you are doing but you can still copy between programs. Alternative is to export as a standardised format such as EPS or SVG. That way you can still work between both programs. 

Maybe I'm just odd but I often work between affinity designer (because in v1 the performance, brilliant snapping tools, grid setup, UI was great) and Adobe illustrator (for select tools like warping, blend tool, pattern, shape builder etc) and have to save as EPS or SVG frequently or copy over and rescale if the dimensions change.  

I do that with Inkscape - Designer (but several of those features are now in Designer).

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.