You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer V2 getting really slow and laggy after some time

SKT7

3 hours ago, PD1234 said:

Enable CL doesnt work

Also can't open a photoshop file in V2 either, just crashes with not responding

Enabling OpenCL causes the problems on some (but not all) systems, are you using a Nvidia graphics card?

PSD files open fine on my system. Win 10

1 hour ago, PD1234 said:

Dangerous

Yes, i'm using Nvidia graphics card. Drivers up to date.

I got eventually PSD file to open after several attempts of closing and re-opening the program.

Are you using the STUDIO DRIVER as it works better than the GAMES READY DRIVER. Sometimes with the studio driver you can switch on OpenCL and speed up the workflow but try first with it disabled.
Also the Windows 22H2 update has to be done manually at the moment and that also speeds things up.

25 minutes ago, PD1234 said:

Dangerous

HOW DO I CHECK THAT/TELL THE DIFFERENCE? STUDIO DRIVER OR GAMES READY DRIVER ?

I'v not found a way to check but I guess if you don't know then you have the games ready driver. 

Go to Nvidia driver site https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx fill in the boxes selecting download type - studio. search for the driver for your card, download & install.

On top of the relentless crashing of Publisher 2 in Windows 11, I am also experiencing gradual deterioration in system performance when Designer is open for extended periods of time. Killing it off via Task Manager is often the only way to exit as the application was completely unresponsive after leaving it for 12 hours or so. ALT+TAB between applications was impossible, but functionality of the system as a whole returned once Designer v2 was force closed...

Not sure if its a memory leak, or some other problem. System is a Dell Precision M3800 running 21H2 with cumulative update 22000.1281. Hardware acceleration is not supported.

There is something fundamentally unresolved with version 2 of this suite - version 1 runs responsively and without issue on the same system... 

14 hours ago, PD1234 said:

Dangerous

HOW DO I CHECK THAT/TELL THE DIFFERENCE? STUDIO DRIVER OR GAMES READY DRIVER ?

No need to shout if you don't know how to find which drivers you are using on your computer. 

In the taskbar right click on the "NVdidia Settings" icon and select "NVidia GForce Experience". At the to click on "Drivers". Two lines below you will see which drivers you are using

You can also get there by searching "nvidia" in Windows.

For the difference search on nvidia site. 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I have the exact same issue with v2, and would love a fix!

After working about an hour I start noticing a lag in every action. If I keep working through it slowly becomes completely unusable. This is really not working out, so I have reverted back to v1 until 2.1 hopefully fixes this big bug. (Had to copy and paste a lot between the versions to rebuild my work in a v1 file.)

I tried looking at the ram and cpu usage, but seems fine. nothing out of the ordinary.

I have tried some of the ideas here, when I have some spare time I will give the last ones a go, but it’s hard to test for myself since I need to work for about an hour before noticing if anything is different.. and if not, I would have to again copy and paste work back into a v1 project.. pretty infuriating update so far I would say. Hopefully the money earned here is going into stability improvements.

Same problem over here. I bought the V2 because I was really happy with Affinity having the version V1, but it's really SLOWER after a while even selecting objects. It sometimes takes a full second selecting one single object.

As other users here, I've been monitoring the system and everything works smooth and fine but Affinity Designer.

I've tried deactivating GPU acceleration and nothing works. It's my main design software and at this time it should be fixed it.
I'm running Designer on Win10, Ryzen 5800X, 32Gb, RTX 3070 and a SSD disk, so it is not a hardware problem.

iHi, there is indeed a difference, I am using 99% shorcuts when designing, and after a while there is an incredible delay that makes you want to close the application and not use it anymore, and it is with basic things like moving a layer select it or change tool as they say above.

I have tried turning on and off hardware acceleration as they say in other post but there is no difference.

@irolandricaurte

2 hours ago, DSGNDM said:

I hope with the new update this problem will be fixed. I've been using for 40 minutes and everything works fine and no laggy effect selecting objects.

Sorry about that, but my software froze yesterday, and it's the same symptoms as usual. Tool switching takes a good second to happen, and my zooms are risky as it can freeze any time.

But as we didn't have any official answer, this problem is still not known by devs.

• Staff

27 minutes ago, PD1234 said:

Mine still crashing the same as before latest update.

Only difference now it sometimes brings up a message saying save file as , as making any changes will make it av2 file. Then it freezes 

I would highly recommend creating a separate thread for your issue with the apps crashing giving as much detail as possible on the issue as well as your system specs along with crash reports, we will then get back to you as soon as possible.

59 minutes ago, GenewalDesign said:

Sorry about that, but my software froze yesterday, and it's the same symptoms as usual. Tool switching takes a good second to happen, and my zooms are risky as it can freeze any time.

But as we didn't have any official answer, this problem is still not known by devs.

I can see that you've created a separate bug post regarding this, we'll look into this as soon as we can. Please be aware as we’re approaching Christmas we have limited staff working so it may take some time.

On 11/27/2022 at 5:52 PM, SKT7 said:

Hi,

When I use Designer V2 - it works fine for sometime (may be an hour or so - can't be exact on this) but then it starts slowing down and everything becomes really laggy. For example, the selection of any object, selection of a new tool from the toolbar by click or by keyboard shortcut, selection of a context menu button takes 3-5 sec or more!

I have the same problem with affinity photo and  aff designer. Sometimes it works and it sundenly slows down to a point it becomes unworkable. What I draw appears about 6 o r 10 seconds after. It makes me crazy :) !  And the export to pdf doesn't work either.