You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer V2 getting really slow and laggy after some time

SKT7

Hi,

When I use Designer V2 - it works fine for sometime (may be an hour or so - can't be exact on this) but then it starts slowing down and everything becomes really laggy. For example, the selection of any object, selection of a new tool from the toolbar by click or by keyboard shortcut, selection of a context menu button takes 3-5 sec or more!

The files I am working on are not that heavy, in fact most of them are under 1MB (it uses many gradients and vector brush) but still it lags severely. It seems like the lag is slowly creeping in before becoming noticeable. I reminds me of some earlier version of Designer V1 that had similar lag (which version resolved it I don't remember now) . 

I am using Designer V2 on Windows 10 V 21H2. (19044.2251) and face no such issue with Designer V1.
I have turned off hardware acceleration / Open CL after seeing some other threads on similar (but not exactly same) lag issue - however it hasn't helped. 

Please let me know if there's a solution that I can try or if it's a known bug when it would be fixed. 

Thank you. 

I observed a similar behaviour but with Publisher after working some hours on the same open document. In my case it was mostly obvious when open/close the glyph palette multiple times. The app freezed for 5+ seconds then opened the glyph dialog and somehow recovered.

I decided to reduce the undo protocol limit significantly down e.g. to 128. The initial value in all three apps after install is 1024 which (imho) seems to be far to high and may consume a lot of resources over time. But meanwhile could not reproduce the same long running usecase. Maybe (hope) that setting will help in the future...

image.png.e567841ac67bb183bf74f4a565d70fb4.png

Hardware: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (22H2, build 19045.3208, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0), 8 core Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2145 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (driver 528.89), 2 x 1GB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

10 hours ago, 4dimage said:

I decided to reduce the undo protocol limit significantly down e.g. to 128. The initial value in all three apps after install is 1024 which (imho) seems to be far to high and may consume a lot of resources over time. But meanwhile could not reproduce the same long running usecase. Maybe (hope) that setting will help in the future..

Thank you @4dimage. I also reduced the undo limit to 128. 
Will update if it makes any difference. 

By the way, I see you are running it with 64GB ram - I am surprised that it's still lagging!

Next time y'all get the chance, check task manager and see how much resources the program is using... and if it seems right to you...

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

15 hours ago, SKT7 said:

Hi,

When I use Designer V2 - it works fine for sometime (may be an hour or so - can't be exact on this) but then it starts slowing down and everything becomes really laggy. For example, the selection of any object, selection of a new tool from the toolbar by click or by keyboard shortcut, selection of a context menu button takes 3-5 sec or more!

The files I am working on are not that heavy, in fact most of them are under 1MB (it uses many gradients and vector brush) but still it lags severely. It seems like the lag is slowly creeping in before becoming noticeable. I reminds me of some earlier version of Designer V1 that had similar lag (which version resolved it I don't remember now) . 

I am using Designer V2 on Windows 10 V 21H2. (19044.2251) and face no such issue with Designer V1.
I have turned off hardware acceleration / Open CL after seeing some other threads on similar (but not exactly same) lag issue - however it hasn't helped. 

Please let me know if there's a solution that I can try or if it's a known bug when it would be fixed. 

Thank you. 

Try the Windows 22H2 update, it has speeded my computer up. 

It seems that all the apps have lost steam... at least on my computer (Ryzen 7 3700, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, RX5700XT (8GB)). I've encountered a similar problem to @4dimage with the glyph browser, too. Without having measured it precisely, I'd say all V2.0 apps run half as fast as V1.x, sometimes even slower. Currently I prefer to use the older iterations of the Affinity apps if none of the newer features are required for the job.

Let's hope, V2.0.1 will fix some of the issues.

21 minutes ago, VolkerMB said:

It seems that all the apps have lost steam... at least on my computer (Ryzen 7 3700, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, RX5700XT (8GB)). I've encountered a similar problem to @4dimage with the glyph browser, too. Without having measured it precisely, I'd say all V2.0 apps run half as fast as V1.x, sometimes even slower. Currently I prefer to use the older iterations of the Affinity apps if none of the newer features are required for the job.

Let's hope, V2.0.1 will fix some of the issues.

Have you tried the 22H2 update?

Yeah, I ran V1 and v2 side by side on my desktop gaming rig like I've always done with v1, but v2 is significantly slower on basic operations. Just selecting objects imbedded in another object, is really bad for instance. So slow, that when trying to CTRL select an object with embedded objects to duplicate it on Windows, v2 selects the inner object and copies it and not the whole parent object. Resizing, node functions, everything takes longer to start working, just weird.

Not sure if it's due to how the application is written to work within the Win10/11 "app" structure, but noticed that the install for the app moved from Program Files to the User, .affinity hidden folder. Something is not the same as before, for sure.

Guess I'll go back to v1 until this gets fixed...UGH!!!!

I experienced the same issue. After a while, Designer 2 get laggy, and any operations even simple one like selecting, deselecting object takes ~1-3s.

The only solution for me is restarting the app periodically when it start to feel laggy.

Also when closing app, i often need to to do "end task" manually in task manager because the app seems to crash.

Looking forward to stability improvement on v2 🙂

*Designer 2 on Windows 10. Ryzen 7 3700X + 16GB Ram + GTX 3650 Super.

You guys are doing better than me, I'm stuck, I have the same issue on v1, thought I would get v2 to see if it fixes the problem but it didn't.

V1 worked fine up until about 2/3 weeks before the release of V2.

Loads up fine to start, opens first file and I can print like nothing wrong, but open second file and it takes ages and freezes Designer completely.

I have to end task to close program and re-load to use it again once before I repeat.

No crash report - empty?

My system - Dell
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 11 fully updated

Using NVIDIA

Graphics drivers all up to date

Any ideas on how to solve this?

I've ran SFC /scannow and fixed a a couple of corrupt files on the system 

I've ran DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

But still got the same crashing when opening files

On 11/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, SKT7 said:

Hi,

Thank you. 

Happens to me with Affinity designer v2 , works like butter when i launch it, but after some time of use it starts to lag, and theres a delay on any action (select an object, move around thing, change between artboards)  it takes like 3 to 5 sec . Things seems to get worse the more i use the application.

Windows 11 , 16 gb ram, rtx 3060 i5 11600k .

I haven't been able to find a reason for it. I have a laptop and my gaming rig, but both have the same issue after about 20  minutes of working on a design. I compared them side by side on the same design last night, so not sure it's a hardware issue yet. Both my boxes are running on Win10, Pro & Enterprise, so can't talk much to how the issue would be on Win11. I was hoping to upgrade to Win11 this weekend, to see if the OS might help it. Disappointed to see that it happens on Win11, maybe even worse.

Still, I love the product and will just deal with it until Affinity can find a solution. I just save a lot and restart the app when it starts getting laggy and unresponsive 😩

I used Designer 2 for a little more than three hours recently and never seen any slow down or any kind of glitch. 

Windows 11 21H2, I have an old GTX1060  nVidia card. I noticed that most of the time people having problems have a more recent and better card.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I can only put it down to Affinity at the moment because everything else runs sweet.

This is the worst launch of any software I've seen, I know there can be some issues to begin with but there are pages and pages of problems and I'm not seeing many fixes as yet 😞

30 minutes ago, JPBERUTTI910 said:

How much ram do you have? 

I get this "not responding" message all the time on my laptop with 8gb ram.

I had the 'not responding' issue with Ver 1 AP & AD. Improved a bit with a graphics card driver update to the Nvidia Studio Driver. Cured by upgrade to Ver 2 although Affinity slow to load and slow to open larger files. Much improved by Windows update 22H2 which seem to be an optional upgrade at the moment.

My system is several years old, not win 11 compatible (no TPM), 32gig 6th gen I5 @ 2.7mh & no longer 'fast' with the OS/Software of today but since the 3 'fixes' above I can put off a major hardware update for a while longer.