You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font crash - fixed in Designer V2 but not V1?

oscarw

Hi all,

As many will be aware there is a bug caused by various Windows 10 and 11 updates that causes Serif software to crash when changing fonts, rendering the software almost unusable. The only "fix" is in fact a workaround whereby certain Windows updates must be uninstalled and then blocked (far from ideal!).

I see that this issue does not affect Affinity Designer V2. So Serif clearly does know how to actually fix this problem rather than just offering workarounds.

My question is - will this software-breaking problem be fixed in V1? Or will all V1 users be forced to pay to upgrade to V2 to avoid this problem? 

This would seem very at odds with Serif's anti-adobe anti-subscription approach (which I why I switched in the first place!). 

I really hope there are plans to implement this fix in version 1 users. Otherwise Affinity Designer will be subscription-only software in all but name for Windows users.

• Staff

@oscarw

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Serif have a code fix for this and we plan to make a 1.10.6 Windows release shortly that addresses it.

Although Affinity V2 only runs on Windows 10 and 11, Version 1 also installs and runs on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, so we need to check that the fix that worked for Version 2 is suitable for those operating also without introducing other unforseen problems. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Please try with the updated NET Framework 4.8 to the latest 4.8.1

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet-framework/thank-you/net481-web-installer

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• Staff

UPDATE for anyone still using V1 Affinity applications - 

Versions 1.10.6 of the Affinity suite have been released, which resolve these .NET Windows crashes.

Please see the below link for information on how to download and install these updates:

With the Affinity updates installed, you can now un-hide any previous Windows updates you have paused and install these without concern.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon