You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Not solved. Just a sharing a trick for it] Double clicking on the primary or secondary colors crashes [Photo, Designer, Publisher]

SrPx

Double clicking on the primary or secondary colors crashes, exiting to desktop (like it does when clicking on the Daub "bristle" brush category, reported in other thread).

It happens in the two places you could do that, as shown in the screenshots. 

I have just installed a 3060, with nvidia studio drivers, before installing Affinity suite v2. Other apps are not crashing while doing this, though (it appears it is when it calls the color dialog box). Tested disabling OpenCL, but it also crashes. Affinity Photo 2.0.0.

Attaching screenshots to clarify.

crash-dbl-click-color.jpg.6259833bf4fb65022c20d79b6bb2d9d4.jpg

crash-dbl-click-color-2.jpg.5c5cb4da720e499a47ec40e9bcc871b8.jpg

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I'm on Win10, I can not replicate this crash.

Please locate and attach a couple of Crash Reports to your next post.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thank you very much for answering... The problem is that I am not completely happy about posting a system dump on a public forum. I guess it has no problem, but I don't have a way to check it... I think I'll reinstall the apps and try again.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

A moderator (Serif staff) can at some point, respond and provide you with a private Dropbox link to upload the file.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I kind of suspect it is related with the net framework... (my installation. Although every other app is working).

Sorry, I m not too happy (or maybe paranoid, lol) about uploading system dumps, even to a company's dropbox. Anyway, I did leave on (during  the time testing this) the Photo's preference/option that uploads the crash info (with email and that unchecked, not included in the info). So, at this point there should be tons of instances of the crash itself in your database. As I've been trying tons of things.

I was in the middle of a project, but due to time constraints, I needed to use CSP instead. I have purchased the whole 2.0 suite, but due to this color selector window full app crash issue, I believe I will be using the 1.x version (and csp, increasingly) for a long while, as I feel this bug will be rarely replicated (unless is tried in a non dev machine, or sth having different libraries, I don't know). I cured everything: Reinstalled the .net framework (several versions) many times, did run sfc /scannow and DISM (in the several ways it can be used to ensure everything is fine), and all was perfect, made sure all windows updates were perfectly correct, tried with and without the second  monitor, disabling all tsr/devices utilities, tried both the studio and the standard nvidia drivers (erasing fully the drivers with special cleaning tools before each install), with and without the "Game Experience" app, every sort of combination possible in Photo's settings, modifying the nvidia settings on Windows... I'm done. ;) I even downloaded tools to check/read the dumps myself (but apart from it saying sth like the error is due to an infinite loop when loading certain stuff, not much more...). My 3060 is a Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge LHR 12GB GDDR6. Dunno, going even more paranoid, I don't know if the anti-mining thing, the LHR, could be a culprit. One other idea, in the past (1.7.x I think) there was a crash (listed as fixed in your release notes) with cards with 32GB of VRAM. You said you tried with 30x series,... but the 3070 and some 3080 have 8, 10 GB, not 12 like mine, I think.....But, however, I leave it there (gotta move on). :) 

I just realized is not only in Photo, it happens on the 3 apps, Designer, Publisher and Photo. Clicking on the color circle (background or foreground), be it on the tools' vertical bar or the color panel (so, whenever calling the Windows color selector window, that call there) it takes a moment (1 second or so, like entering a loop) and crashes exiting the app without even an error/message window.

@SrPx,

Since a developer can not be at your house or office looking over your shoulder, or digging around in your computer to see why your having the problems, it's extremely difficult if not impossible for them to help you fix your problem. It's also very difficult for us users, to accurately describe in writing or even with graphics, like screenshots or video captures.

I'm not having the problems you are, and yes others may be, which would lend itself to look for the common denominator in the systems having the issues. You do know what a Crash Report or Dump file contains right? I don't think there's anything personally harmful or would have privacy concerns. The crash reports are like the auto mechanic plugging in a diagnostic scanner. It scans and provides the reports logged by your car, of any sensor or other malfunctions so the mechanic/technician can fix your car. 

You posted wanting help, and yet you don't want to produce something that could expedite this? 🙄

8 hours ago, mrqasq said:

Just a thought, you're mentioning in your description that you have a laptop also. Do you have issue there as well?

Good idea. I had thought of it, as it also has a 3060 (but with only 6gb, not 12), but as it is a Windows 11, I thought it's a very different scenario... Anyway, I just tried it there, and it works.

9 hours ago, Ron P. said:

@SrPx,

Since a developer can not be at your house or office looking over your shoulder, or digging around in your computer to see why your having the problems, it's extremely difficult if not impossible for them to help you fix your problem. It's also very difficult for us users, to accurately describe in writing or even with graphics, like screenshots or video captures.

I'm not having the problems you are, and yes others may be, which would lend itself to look for the common denominator in the systems having the issues. You do know what a Crash Report or Dump file contains right? I don't think there's anything personally harmful or would have privacy concerns. The crash reports are like the auto mechanic plugging in a diagnostic scanner. It scans and provides the reports logged by your car, of any sensor or other malfunctions so the mechanic/technician can fix your car. 

You posted wanting help, and yet you don't want to produce something that could expedite this? 🙄

It's not really a request for "help". I'm using 1.x now, and I've purchased probably every art software on earth. Believe it or not it was for the good of the apps. cya.

Thanks mrqasq, that's very kind of you. Although I'd be afraid of introducing some instability or needing to make a lot of configs again (I have a very complex setup, calibrations, many devices and software). But thank you. BTW, I've tried restore points, but sadly I had set too little memory for it, had no points old enough.

I'm not dealing with it anymore (using another workflow/tool), but I have just replied in a thread to a dev's follow-up of a question that I made before, strictly related with this issue, and it contains not a minidump, but pasted the output of the error from the Events Viewer, from the MS Windows admin tools. Might prove useful if any developer needs to have a look at this issue.

Ok... First of all, apologies again for my obvious paranoia about the dump files (yet still won't send them, heh). I blame almost a decade at a security related company, while I was just the graphic designer grunt, but the people was paranoid there about passing files from your system and whatever... (and a bunch of other things that I don't -and should- do).

Kindda got obsessed with this, for no reason -at all- , as was/am super comfy with Affinity 1.10.6, Clip Paint Studio EX, PaintStorm and Rebelle 5 Pro. But besides v2 is a lot more improved, it was driving me crazy as I like to have the system at least slightly under control (as impossible that is running Windows, I know..) . Triple checked with DISM, sfc, updates, .net runtime, etc. I've even "unsandboxed" the thing temporarily (sorry. Won't explain how, obviously. No tool used, just the system), to roll it back to sandboxed in minutes every time... to see if I could get some clue there. I noticed that you had a non encrypted crash logs folder where I could see it like listing events normally. But was kind of stopping when reading the graphics card related stuff. I don't recall now the exact line, but while it did not say anything about it specifically, It somehow reminded me of Affinity having issues with dpi scaling in several matters a long time ago. Then I realized I change the font size (am 50...) in most of my Windows installs. All the ton of things I've done to the system (indeed, even opened the dumps in a debugger myself) and it was just the Windows dpi scaling. Double checked, changed it back and... crashes. It makes sense as I did not do this (font size, dpi scaling) in the laptop yet, where it has always run perfectly. 

Yet though here's the thing: Affinity (as it happens the same in the 3 apps, is not Photo specific, sorry, thought that at the beginning, so I posted here: is a global Affinity apps issue) 1.x does not have the problem. Yet I realized now (first time I see it in v2, lol) that the dialog box/window of the color choosing, is the exact same dialog than with v1, of course, the system one. I mean, maybe I am wrong, but it's calling the same object, yet only crashing in v2. I guess there's sth different in that code, somehow, that can make some OS installations crash when the user just changes the font size (the scaling, really) (like anyone does with their phones, these days) in Settings/System/Screen of MS Windows.  Although maybe not in vanilla, new Windows 10 installs. The definitive test that it is not sth going weird (although still could be, and not your code!) in my system is trying the scaling thing (same factor, % number) in  my win11 laptop, as is brand new and I have not yet modified it at all. But even if doesn't crash there, still could be happening in some desktops with my config, not only on mine. I mean, wouldn't be a completely crazy possibility. There's still the big worry that the crash produces a Windows event where it says is the .net framework crashing when an object is called (layout something...). Or maybe that's normal as is after all a .net app, I guess.  So, I thought it was important to at least communicate my findings (again, still could be my system only, but who knows).

(Probably I should have just left it alone and just work with the other apps... But I was curious)

Screenshots in case my English is too bad (it is) or I didn't explain well what's the action to replicate it (excuse the Spanish text) :

Windows Settings / System / Screen / Scale Config / Set there 110 scale. (I have not tried 150 or etc, so, 110 to be sure you can trigger it). The blur avoidance/not setting, I have not touched it, but I had it as "on" all the time.

image.jpeg.e4b7dbc1fc9bac79b275dfa931c1be23.jpeg

color_selector_bug_2.jpg.6f7cbaa8796051a1ad2f1981b53f4c61.jpgimage.jpeg.f78e0dec3ee1ae4badb296b8f4631159.jpeg

color_selector_bug_4.jpg.89e1e84511f3c0f05d13606399f26aad.jpg

Cheers,

I have the same problem - double click on color circle not opened color dialog but crashes aplication - it hapends everytime (no matter of document size) and in all of three apps V2 (Designer, Pub, Photo).

V1 works still normally on the same computer:  Windows 10 Home 64bit, build 19044.2251, Intel Core i5-7600 CPU 3.50 GHz, 16 GB RAM.

Miloslav

Interesting findings that might help not just devs but also users ( @Miloslav ), as I suggest an easy user trick to avoid any problems. TLDR: is global, not a rare PC case, happens in all v2 apps, and users can solve it for now with a trick. It's important as people will think it's any other factor than this :

- I just tested again with my brand new win 11 laptop, as my win 10 desktop (specs of both in my signature) has a very complex configuration, to fully discard it's due to its complexity.

- I realized I did not mention both systems are using dual monitors (four different screens), using EXTENDED desktop option in Windows (not clone, as that's not very useful). Both systems having different desktop resolutions between the two screens (ie, not both at 1080p). Customized scaling (the one you type in ) does not seem to allow (at least not for the  MS Windows user UI) putting different numbers (factors) for each screen. When using the "standard" (deploying list) ones, in both Windows 10 and Windows 11, you can set different scaling for each screen (ie, 125% in a laptop screen, 100% in a regular monitor). General knowledge you surely have, but it's important for this thing.

- The laptop, which is a super clean Win 11 install, does have the crash with the following scaling factors in Windows Settings/System/Screen/custom scaling :

102% , 110% . Same happens when tested with the desktop. 

- Indeed, my desktop works fine with 109% (right now set so). It does not have the crash if setting it with a number as odd as 109%. Which is very peculiar.

- In the laptop, although I realized too late those tests were made not clicking in "screen 2" (or 1. I mean: whichever is the one that I set as 'main' in Windows settings and where you will be using the Affinity app)  in that windows settings area, but I believe with advanced custom scaling (where you actually type a number, not choose a standard scaling from a deploying list) it uses same scaling for both screens, so it surely makes these following tests valid:

102%, 110% make the crash happen in Photo v2 (and as I tested, surely in all v2 apps). I double checked these two to also happen if "clicking in screen 2", although I believe is irrelevant with custom scaling. These results are valid for sure, happening in all the systems (where I tested it), all configuration possibilities.

But curiously, 111%, 125%, 130%, 140%, 115%, 120%, 109%, 108% seem to make V2 apps work fine and not have the crash. The remaining doubt (not for 102 or 110) for all these is testing (before setting it)  'clicking' on the screen that it is main, but I think it is irrelevant.

So... this is going to be reported only by people setting 110% (102 is kind of useless) . Unless there are some other cases where the same crash is actually produced as well by another element/problem.

I believe standard (non "typed") scaling factors, those selecting on the deploying list, usually being 100%, 125%, 150%, 170%, won't produce the v2 apps crash.

But anyone with 110% might have it until the user changes that.  

Laptop users might need it badly, as in Windows, apps often show very tiny menu fonts in those small screens, and some screens are in a size and resolution where 125 is too much, and 100% too little. Those will set often 110%, 115%. If my tests are right, 109, 111, 115 (and surely many more) will work. Just not 110 or 102 (and possibly other numbers).

So, if you have the issue, just set it at 109% or 111%, see what happens. 

My strong advice would be to do a full restart after the change, or it might not take it, as while it seems to work as MS says, that only needs a session close, I keep my doubts about if some of those resolutions would produce the crash with a full restart. I have tested though that the 110 and 102 do make it crash with full restart. I am almost fully sure that 125% and 100% won't produce the error in any or in most systems.

5 hours ago, Miloslav said:

I have the same problem - double click on color circle not opened color dialog but crashes aplication - it hapends everytime (no matter of document size) and in all of three apps V2 (Designer, Pub, Photo).

V1 works still normally on the same computer:  Windows 10 Home 64bit, build 19044.2251, Intel Core i5-7600 CPU 3.50 GHz, 16 GB RAM.

Miloslav

TLDR version, if you don't have the time now: Test setting your MS Windows Settings (System / Screen) as 109% scaling (if you badly need 110% over 100%), if you don't know how to, check my screenshots in my post above. Windows Settings can be accessed in Windows 10 by clicking on the Start icon, it's the gear shaped icon, above the switch off icon. Then, restart your Windows, and start Photo v2 or other Affinity v2 app, and check now if double clicking on the color circle still crashes (shouldn't, unless is a different issue) or loads the color window normally.

AMAZING!! It is really rewarding to know that it is working for other people as well (if you have problems with the Daub Bristles category, I have posted today another trick for that (in this same forum's section) as well, that allows to use those brushes without crashes, too).

Cheers!!  :)  :)  :) 

• 3 weeks later...

You are welcome!  :) 

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Crash double-clicking colour swatch with custom Windows scaling" (REF: AFP-5811) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1857".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.