You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blurry Icons + a couple of UI Suggestions

Hello:

Now that I'm starting to use v2 of the Suite for my day to day I'm getting to notice these issues.

In general the change of Interface is positive; it looks like a new coat of paint.

The new tools icons are probably a user per user preference (but I remember going through this many years back when Cinema 4D changed their whole iconography), it took a couple of weeks to get used to this but then I liked it.

Having said this there are some issues which could be improved:

1) This has been mentioned before , but the new Stroke control icons are a step back. (I'm attaching a screenshot)

The icons are borderline blurry and they are hard to read (compared to v1). I have to squint and take a couple of seconds to read them and see which one is which.. the ones with the blue dots were easier to interpret at a glance.

2) The Portrait and Landscape icons are definitely blurry in my screen. (iMac 21.5 Inch) Non retina.

And they are kind of buried in the new document window (attaching a screenshot)

3) The dot replacing the turn on/ off layers is a little bit small and hard to hit... Not saying we return to the checkbox but I think it could be made a few pixels bigger so it's easier to turn on and off.

In general I see you went with smaller fonts and toggles/arrows in the new interface but I'm agreeing with other users that it could be polished a little bit and make it a few pixels bigger so the elements are not hard to click upon.

4) And lastly, I guess I was one of the people that wanted the Preview image integrated into the Export window... but as you implemented it (and using it now)  I would also suggest to have the preview as optional. Turn it off or on with a checkbox or have it inside a collapsable panel.

Hope these suggestions help and thanks for the hard work.

fjv

stroke.jpg

portrait-landscape.jpg

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

Agree with everything. I'm on 2 4K (retena-ish?) 28" displays. Both are on arms so I have no problem with having the screens close to recognize any UI elements easily.

On my 15" laptop however...... I literally just bought a portable monitor for use at my drafting table just to get rid of the keyboard/mouse-pad distance because so many apps and websites render their UI unreasonably small/low contrast and I need access to my references.

So +1 being able to see things.

Whilst they're fixing this, they could and should swap positions of the Style Selection buttons with the "Order" and "Scale with Object" check box.

This puts the dashed line Style choice next the properties for a dashed line... and the scaling and order next to the stroke size.... Dadadadum!

• 1 month later...

Hmm, the icons aren't blurry at all for me in v2 and I'm unable to replicate the problem with any display settings. Maybe it's hardware specific?

Using my built-in MBP 14" display at its native resolution, I get crystal clear icons in v1 and v2.

471326544_Screenshot2023-01-04at10_09_39AM.png.ec16dc3653dac8cfccdeebe212eedf24.png1641629725_Screenshot2023-01-04at10_08_56AM.png.5a9bbc84d4805e8b89d8d0e19b95a353.png

But they're still very clear even when I change my display settings so scaling is required.

1697362317_Screenshot2023-01-04at10_13_44AM.png.701577e2426985c9bcf2c2117fb4087a.png192670081_Screenshot2023-01-04at10_13_52AM.png.57ce56f7916b554599edee9f8b71fba9.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

The Portrait / Landscape icons are indeed hard to find, if you don’t know where to look. They should be in the document setup section, bottom right of the new dialog. I get the idea that you can now switch *all* templates from Portrait to Landscape orientation at once, but still, when I’m setting up a specific document, I usually don’t care about the other templates, and it feels slightly unintuitive that I cannot switch the orientation alongside page dimensions settings etc. 😐