You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Long URL hyperlinks not compatible with Book/Chapter structure

Long URL addresses in hyperlink (e.g.  https://vintagetek.org/7854-mostek-mkb36000-rom-repairs/) produce corrupted pdf in exporting a Book.

Short URL strings (e.g.  https://vintagetek.org/) have not this problem, that is absolutely repetitive and easy to reproduce.

Tested on Mac i9 and M2, with Ventura 13.0.1.

The same file, exported as a chapter, has not this bug.

More than 30 Macs, from 1984 Mac 512K Plus to 2020 iMac 27" i9

Hi Gianni, I can't duplicate this problem, even with the URL you provided.

I created a test book with 3 chapters. Each chapter had 3 URLs, including the URL you provided and the URL for this forum thread which is much longer. The book exported correctly. I've attached the test book, its chapters, and the exported PDF.

Links.zip

Now this is a simple example but if long URLs led to a corrupted PDF then it should happen with any example.

However, while creating this book I ran into the same problems I and others have experienced with more complex books - chapters didn't close properly and Publisher crashed (report attached). I don't think these issues have anything to do with long URLs, they're just an issue with books in general right now. The only path to success is the moment you encounter a problem (especially with a locked chapter), save and then restart Publisher.

Affinity Publisher 2-2022-11-26-095723.ips

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I spent hours following this problem and here is absolutely deterministic. I upload two files "Test OK" and "Test KO". The only differences are in the hyperlinks. I add also the corrupted pdf produced. Both work correctly independently, but if inserted in a book (even a single-chapter book), behave as told.

I use the export setup indicated in the attachment (72 dpi, digital).

Having removed the hyperlinks, until now everything is OK (besides some AP crashes). Before passing to the book structure I had a crash every 2-3 minutes, so now I am rather happy....

Screenshot 2022-11-26 alle 19.08.45.png

Test chapter KO.afpub Test chapter OK.afpub KO.pdf

I was able to export KO.afpub without any issues so I don't think this is a hyperlink issue. I've attached the PDF I exported.  We're using the same version of Publisher 2 on macOS so the only difference is that I didn't have the linked resources. Perhaps the problem is with one or more of them.

You're using .afphoto files which is the right way to do things but I'm old school, I would never import a 239MB afphoto or psd file into any page layout app. I'd flatten my layers, optimize it for the size I need for publication, and then export as TIFF. The newer way of importing an afphoto or PSD file is better because the masters are right there and you can make non-destructive edits, and with Affinity's personas you can hop back and forth like magic.

But even though computers are incredibly powerful these days I try not to overtax my page layout apps, especially when I'm importing hundreds of photos.

Perhaps try a test with your KO document. Export the 5 linked afphoto files as flattened TIFF files. Import those into KO and then save it as a test file. Try exporting that version and see what happens. As I said, you shouldn't have to do this and it may solve nothing but it's worth a try.

Good luck!

Test chapter KO.pdf

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

WOW! GREAT !!!!!!!😄 It works!!!!!

What you say is absolutely logic and I am a DONKEY not having thought of it before (I have spent more than 25 years of my life writing C++ software as if there were no tomorrow. and, as you say, I should well know that theory is different from practice...).

That explains a lot of the problems that I had, not only this. Now its too late to go back and thanks to books I can now however survive. As I go forward, I will correct / replace the most complex situations. Some of them are furthermore really useless: for example, I totally forgot the cover of the document that I sent you, where there are as many as three large images overlaying...

No enough words to thank you! If you come to Florence, I owe you a dinner with bistecca and Chianti...