You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Daub brushes library produces a crash on V2

Hello, is anyone else having this issue? Having installed back all (in my E:/drive as I had already all my system configured not to do anything in C:/ ) . I got that working well)  my purchased Affinity assets, using that window that shows up,  just after installed Photo 2.0, only then, I discovered that just touching a single brush of the Daub's library makes Photo to crash fully to desktop. Every time, is quite repeatable (in other people's PCs might not happen, though)

It might be that I could have messed up the original folder of these brushes by mixing maybe brushes from different Daub packs. But in Photo 1.x these were working.

No biggie for me, as  I can use all the other brushes or just round brushes, but in case it helps other people.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

There are many DAUB brush categories and brushes.

Some of us have reported that trying to select the DAUB W&W Bristles category causes a crash. What's the full name of the one you're having trouble with?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello! Well, the thing is, after this I uninstalled fully all assets, re downloaded and re installed only the Daub ones (as the others did seem to work), using the actual Affinity interface for that (I believe previously, on Affinity 1.x, I installed back in the day by going to folders on Windows and stuff, following the assets authors' instructions).

After installed the Daub brushes again, it kind of reorganized the libraries (visually, at least) a bit differently, but it is clicking on the entire "bristles" Daub's category which makes Photo crash (it disappears, no error window) without warning, going to desktop. All the other Daub brush categories do work great. Indeed, as I somehow expected, Photo's brush engine seems to be working much better now, and very heavy duty brushes, very complex ones that had some lag before in 1.x, do seem fast now, no lag at all, and wanted to try the bristles for that oil painting feel.  Daub's blenders, blockers, detailers, Off-Beats, and Paperless categories and brushes do seem to work completely fine (indeed, finally with not even slight lag. Tried on an A4, 300dpi, Adobe RGB, RGB 16bits mode; so, not a small file!). It might be also that I just purchased a nVidia RTX 3060 12gb graphic card, before I was using a 1650 4gb, I don't know if that helps, there. If it's only engine improvements, huge kudos.

To your question, is not a single bristle brush, is when I touch the "Bristles" category. But before fully uninstalling all assets and downloading again, it did let me open the bristles category, but would crash just touching any of the bristle brushes listed (or at least, the few I tried). Now the crash happens when I simply click on the bristle category (in the deployed categories list). The other Daub categories can be clicked, and also works selecting any of their brushes and painting completely fluidly with them.

This is not a showstopper for me ( * at all *. Really. But I thought I'd mention ), as I mostly work with heavily modified round brushes (fine tuning flow, hardness, spacing, etc), getting the painterly feel so. But it is very useful to have all these great brushes for many types of work. So, would be nice if Daubs' bristles section gets fixed. That said, I'm totally enjoying the standard artistic brushes in Photo 2.0, might be placebo effect, but it seems they produce much better results (more realistic) now (speed is and was never an issue; they were already ultra fast, before) :)  :).  Thanks for your help Walt.  :) 

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

You're welcome.

(Mostly I wanted to confirm if it was the problem with Bristles, or some other problem as you hadn't named the category before :) )

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@Stepaan  Both DAUB Bristles and DAUB W&W Bristles are also working perfectly on my MAC.  As are every DAUB category I have tried.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• 3 weeks later...

Just to inform the participants here that I think I found an easy workaround/trick to use the Daub's Bristles category :