You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] Is there a tutorial video for the Color Replacement Brush?

As I mentioned in this question, the Color Replacement Brush does not seem to be working either as described by Darren in that topic or as described in the AP Help topics.

A video tutorial (official or otherwise) showing that brush in use would help me understand how it should work, & if it is working on my iMac (running OS X 10.11.3 & AP 1.4.1) as expected.

It does not need to be specifically about how to use that brush; as long as it shows the results of using it, it probably would be all I need.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

The thing to remember is that the Colour Replacement Brush Tool only replaces the colour's hue of the pixels in the base image. The foreground colour that you've selected will appear different when used on the base image because the Luminance and Saturation of the base image is retained. We don't have one at the moment but I will pass your comments to the team responsible for our tutorials/video tutorials to see if it's possible in the future.

Here's a quick video of me using the tool: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6f775z6yg1be080/Colour%20Replacement%20Brush%20Tool.mov?dl=0

Thanks for the reply & the video, but I'm still having trouble understanding what "only replaces the colour's hue of the pixels in the base image" means & why (as I mentioned in my other question) this brush is changing the luminance & saturation values as well as the hue when I use it (according to the Info panel set to display HSL values under the pointer). Your description of its behavior seems somewhat different from what the help topics say the behavior should be, although admittedly those topics leave something to be desired regarding explaining the details of how it works.

Basically, I can't get it to do anything like in your video, even when I duplicate all the settings it shows & I use a screen grab from the video of the ball of yarn as the base image.

As an aside, if the tool actually is supposed to replace only the hue, why isn't it called the Hue Replacement Brush?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm not sure what happened or what I was doing wrong but I was having the same problems at R C-R.  But after downloading the 1.4.1 update and following Leigh's settings, the Color Replacement Brush is working for me as it did for Leigh.

I am using the 1.4.1 update (& running OS X 10.11.3, if that makes any difference). I did a reset, which improved things, but I'm still not getting quite the same results as in the video. For one thing, the brush is still changing the saturation & lightness values of painted over areas, sometimes just slightly but other times by quite a bit. Sometimes it replaces using the foreground hue like in the video but other times it seems to be using some other hue, neither the current foreground nor background one.

Changing the tolerance setting also seems have absolutely no effect on the brush's behavior.

I guess I'm still doing something wrong or don't understand what the tool does very well. I think I will just wait & hope for a full narrated video tutorial, which may clear things up for me.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Are you able to record your screen, with QuickTime, while using the Colour Replacement Brush Tool? This will allow me to see what's happening and advise further. Alternately, you could attach the image you're using so I can try it at my end.

Thanks for the offer but I now believe that I just don't understand what the tool is intended to do, & that I have misunderstood what the help topic says about that, possibly because in some places it says "colour" when I think it might actually be referring only to the hue value.

One thing I am still very confused about is exactly what the tool samples. In the description for the "Sample Continuously" option, the help says "if this option is off (default), the initial click position determines the reference colour to be replaced." I assume that means the reference is the hue value, not the color, but even so, by "click position" does it mean the pixel under the center of the tool or some sort of weighted average over its entire radius?

Regardless of that, I think it all boils down to my wanting this to be a different tool, one that literally replaces colors with the foreground color (not just its hue) using the color of the pixel(s) under the tool on first click & the tolerance, hardness, etc. settings as the reference to determine the range of pixel colors affected. I often work on images with a lot of color noise, so I would like a tool that I can use to retouch the image by painting out the noise, selectively reducing its color palette -- something like a posterization effect, if that makes any sense.

Affinity Photo 

> wanting this to be a different tool

Me too.

I'd like to do exactly what Leigh does in the video - my difficulty is that the colour replacement brush doesn't work on white / grey / black / other little saturated colours.

I learned some workarounds with the help of other forum members, but still would like the colour replacement brush to live up to its name ;)