You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD not exporting correctly

Drew this circle skirt with stripes design on Affinity Designer. Then exported to PSD.

Here is a comparison between the original AFD and exported PSD.

Notice the circled; all the red stripes have moved from their supposed spots after export. 

Resample settings at Bilinear or Nearest Neighbor made no difference. Exporting to other formats like PNG and PDF seems fine though.

Hope someone can help!

AFD vs PSD.jpg

Edited by Zunzun
clarity

Welcome to the forum @Zunzun

So this file is exported from Adobe Photoshop?

Try exporting to PDF or PNG

Would you mind uploading the PSD file so we can take a look at it?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

15 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Welcome to the forum @Zunzun

So this file is exported from Adobe Photoshop?

Try exporting to PDF or PNG

Would you mind uploading the PSD file so we can take a look at it?

Hi thanks for replying!

No this is done on Affinity Designer 2 and exported to PSD. I then opened the PSD file on both Affinity Designer and Adobe Illustrator on another computer to check and noticed that issue.

Unfortunately, the printing company requires the file in PSD or AI so I would like to try and solve this. But for what's worth, I did try to export as PNG and it exported correctly without the displacement issue.

Attached the PSD file.

circle stripe PSD.psd

Just opened the file you uploaded into Affinity Designer V2 and it opens as it would in Adobe Photoshop and it opens fine in Photoshop as well. I'm on Mac Monterey at the moment so maybe there is a difference there. If you are on Windows hopefully someone with Windows can try the file and see what result they get.

image.thumb.png.d5ede0062d4353c6b4090df98d0cee11.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Perhaps I need to reclarify. I drew this circle skirt with stripes design on Affinity Designer. Then exported to PSD.

Here is a comparison between the original AFD and exported PSD.

Notice the circled; all the red stripes have moved from their supposed spots after export. 

AFD vs PSD.jpg

Ah I was looking at the issue in reverse, I thought the overhang was to accommodate a bleed area but the actual look of the file should be inside of the boundary of the CD template. Makes sense printing to a CD.

10 minutes ago, ashf said:

Can you upload the afdesign file as well?

Original AFD here! 

7 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Ah I was looking at the issue in reverse, I thought the overhang was to accommodate a bleed area but the actual look of the file should be inside of the boundary of the CD template.

Apologies for the unclear initial description! I'll amend the first post to reclarify.

circle skirt stripe AFD.afdesign

I think I know why the issue is happening. If you look at the screenshot, the bounding box for the Hem is inside of the actual Hem line and is roughly where the Hem line ends up, the size is reported as 84.4cm and in the exported PSD file the Hem is also reported as 84.4cm when you change the units back from pixels to cm but now the bounding box is touching the edge of the Hem not inside of it.

998661606_Screenshot2022-11-26at09_51_54.png.0b52cf5977b0f9f3622d0fad5ca3f006.png

In the exported PSD the bounding box is now touching the edge of the hem and is in the same place as the bounding box in the original afdesign file.

image.png.cc23bc4a068ff3df64d5530fd8f8853d.png

The problem is you have an unbaked contour on the ellipse, Clicking on the contour tool and setting the Radius to 0 brings the stroke back to the bounding box.

image.thumb.png.82a52fc9df6daa0983383ada80b8ffec.png

image.png.6dfac78867e92cf0f43ff881126d22cb.png

Yeah was a sneaky one, I'd zero the contour and add 2.54cm to the 84.4 cm Hem diameter, this gives a diameter of 86.94cm which places the ellipse stroke in the correct place. The same goes for the Waist, which also has an unbaked contour on it so 17.31cm subtract 2.54cm gives 14.77cm.

The reason I suggest zeroing the contour is because you can get node issues and having a contour just isn't necessary for this document.

Example of correction, screenshot from an exported PSD file...
image.thumb.png.304577f62639da007ddc54ee0c343331.png

11 minutes ago, Zunzun said:

Omg that solved it. Thank you both so much @firstdefence @ashf!!
I used the contour tool initially to expand from another curve and did not bake appearance 🤦‍♀️

Thank you again!! You guys are awesome!!

Glad to help