You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why my montserrat typeface look weird when I swap fill to stroke?

When I switch the font color I used from the fill to the stroke color, I encounter this problem which looks odd.

*notes

1. I'm currently using windows 11 version 22H2 (OS Build 22621.819 )

2. This problem occurs only for some typfaces like Montserrat and Jakarta Plus Sans and some other fonts are still running normally

3. I encountered this problem when I was still using affinity designer V1 and it happened in V2 as well

Montserrat Look Weird.png

Working fine on Mac with Montseratt: Black with only a slight Tracking issue between the T & Y in the word AFFINITY

This is a good way to take a screenshot when dealing with font issues, gives a lot of info and saves a lot of reply questions.

image.thumb.png.9d9eca7a215dd64f8c9b1f665fa9a2e4.png

Do you have any settings changed in the Character Panel?

Can you upload that document as I have Montseratt installed and it works fine for me so would be interesting to see how your file behaves on my system.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I have the same issue with Montserrat on a Windows 10 computer. I have the most recent, static version of Montserrat from fonts.google.com. No character settings were changed. I haven't had this issue with other Google Fonts I use, like Open Sans and Roboto.

Very odd. Maybe a difference in how Mac and Windows handle fonts that are designed however Montserrat is?

Here's a screenshot and the AD file.

Stroke Montserrat Font.png

Stroke Montserrat Font.afdesign

59 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Working fine on Mac with Montseratt: Black with only a slight Tracking issue between the T & Y in the word AFFINITY

This is a good way to take a screenshot when dealing with font issues, gives a lot of info and saves a lot of reply questions.

Can you upload that document as I have Montseratt installed and it works fine for me so would be interesting to see how your file behaves on my system.

I dont have any settings changed, just a default version on character panel

2.png

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Montserrat_File_Windows Version.afdesign

I cannot get the text to behave as the OP does, whether I expand to curves or just change from fill to stroke, I cannot get the font to go crazy with curves.

image.thumb.png.5061b63af23c9c5c564450ce06284911.png

The Big Text that looks corrupt, if you select the letter and use geometry add, it has the correct look, there are a few more nodes but it looks correct now.
image.png.797125f179899c8f27b4c257a464e3cf.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I have the 7.200 in TTF and it behaves fine for me.

The issue is variable fonts; which Affinity does not support yet, using the static fonts for Montseratt works fine.

On 11/25/2022 at 11:03 PM, sudarmindamir said:

2. This problem occurs only for some typfaces like Montserrat and Jakarta Plus Sans and some other fonts are still running normally

3. I encountered this problem when I was still using affinity designer V1 and it happened in V2 as well

Montserrat Look Weird.png

Those are the overlaps and looped corners used when creating fonts from multiple masters sources so the different styles interpolate properly.
When Google Fonts uses their tools to build the fonts, they leave these overlaps in.
Their position is that applications should handle this properly.

To support variable fonts, the application must handle this properly.
Almost all browsers now handle this correctly.
Other desktop publishing applications handle this correctly.

Static fonts in the original font developer repository usually remove the overlaps when they are generating the fonts from their font editor (they just check a box to remove the overlaps on export).
This is why the static fonts from the original Montserrat repo have no overlaps.

Affinity must fix this to be able to eventually support variable fonts.
Variable fonts never remove the overlaps as they are required for correct interpolation.

Thanks for the clarification @kenmcd

• 2 weeks later...