You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I get a stroke to close on a circle with a textured image brush that I made on Affinity Designer iPad?

I made a new textured image brush in Affinity Designer on the iPad featuring a flower and a leaf design that I made. I tried to make a circle with the stroke being the new brush. It looked okay, but the top doesn’t close. I found a tutorial that said to convert the circle to curves and break the top node, which I did, but there are two flowers that don’t overlap properly. Please see my screenshot. Is there a better way to close a stroke after it is painted with whatever brush I decide to use, other than this process? 

775C1633-4BC9-4DE1-B58D-F05220F99273.png

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2022 at 12:38 PM, ScarletQueen said:

I tried to make a circle with the stroke being the new brush. It looked okay, but the top doesn’t close

Hi ScarletQueen, apologies for the lack of earlier responses. Were you able to get this resolved?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Hi!

You need to make a seamless pattern to make it close perfectly.

image.png.007e97cfe706e53d8eac9540899ed3bf.png

No need to deal with open/closed paths.

You could use Symbols in AD or Pattern Layer in AP, but you need to carefully design the geometry of your source.

image.thumb.png.c07f876f9f32fb906428c6acc50b659e.png

Also I suggest to clip your symbol inside a rectangle/square to allow pixel perfect positioning.

image.png.2e0156ef10ba565594a1932e03129a27.png

Once you did this, you can remove the bounding rectangle from symbol and make things overlap, since now you have a "positioning reference"

image.png.fdff8e551ac326f8f72eedddebc787eb.png

Be careful not to move the group, but only inside elements, and you can achieve better results

image.thumb.png.3c7ba4665eb43a76011cb626e83748c0.png

Hope this helps!

Paolo

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers