You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sneaky Sales Tactics!

I can see now how just a couple months ago Affinity was offering V1 at such a low price $26.99.. 

To get folks that were unwilling (or couldn't afford) to pay the higher price for V1 to make a purchase, then turn around and release a new version number so those same folks would have to pay more just a month or two after buying V1..
And not at the same price they had just purchased the now outdated version for. 

That's worse than Adobe's subscription scam..

24 minutes ago, Smpl said:

I can see now how just a couple months ago Affinity was offering V1 at such a low price $26.99.. 

To get folks that were unwilling (or couldn't afford) to pay the higher price for V1 to make a purchase, then turn around and release a new version number so those same folks would have to pay more just a month or two after buying V1..
And not at the same price they had just purchased the now outdated version for. 

That's worse than Adobe's subscription scam..

Please stick to the facts. You claims are baseless and simply wrong.

I Can't see anything "worse" which is a one time purchase for a full suite of 3 apps which costs less than one month of Adobe subscription.

Affinity offered the Apps on a certain price point (PC about 55€, iPad about 20€, and provided huge discounts of 25% to 50% at certain times, consistently from 2015 to 2022. V1 is available as 1.10.5 for about one year, and it is delivering a value even today if you are happy with is functionality.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I paid $24ish for Publisher in 2020, around the same time Serif was discounting their software during COVID lockdowns. I think they've had similar discounts before, but I always knew to wait for a sale. I was surprised to check my receipts, I'd paid full of AP+AD (Win). It was in '17, so makes sense... Anyway, many software companies were discounting to incentivize those doing remote work. I'm sure quite a few software companies made a killing.

https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-19-affinity-designer-photo-publisher-discounts-covid-19.html

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/press/newsroom/serif-relaunches-covid-19-support-90-days-free-trial-and-50-off-affinity-apps/

4 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Please stick to the facts. You claims are baseless and simply wrong.

I Can't see anything "worse" which is a one time purchase for a full suite of 3 apps which costs less than one month of Adobe subscription.

Affinity offered the Apps on a certain price point (PC about 55€, iPad about 20€, and provided huge discounts of 25% to 50% at certain times, consistently from 2015 to 2022. V1 is available as 1.10.5 for about one year, and it is delivering a value even today if you are happy with is functionality.

LOL, and yet they are all based on facts. I bought V1 just 2 months ago for the price I mentioned. So I know exactly how much it was, and they made no attempt to inform anyone making the purchase that in just a couple months they would be releasing a completely new version, and not adding any additional function to the one just purchased.

3 hours ago, debraspicher said:

I paid $24ish for Publisher in 2020, around the same time Serif was discounting their software during COVID lockdowns. I think they've had similar discounts before, but I always knew to wait for a sale. I was surprised to check my receipts, I'd paid full of AP+AD (Win). It was in '17, so makes sense... Anyway, many software companies were discounting to incentivize those doing remote work. I'm sure quite a few software companies made a killing.

https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-19-affinity-designer-photo-publisher-discounts-covid-19.html

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/press/newsroom/serif-relaunches-covid-19-support-90-days-free-trial-and-50-off-affinity-apps/

I just find it rude, and distasteful that they would offer such a discount so close to the release of a new version, and make ZERO attempt in the marketing to let folks know that a new version would be coming soon, so people could make the choice, spend money now to get a version that would no longer receive improvements, or wait for the new version to be released...

Now offering a higher cost, even with their "launch discount" and no offer to those that would be "upgrading" because of some BS about the App Store - There are many apps that offer upgrade licenses for their apps purchased through the App Store - or via their own website. There even one that allows you to screenshot your purchase from the App Store, and they will send you a discount code to buy the newer version on their website... So it has nothing to do with limitations, and all about their lack of wanting too..

And their Bundled package for $99 is useless to someone that has ZERO Windows machines.. what would I personally due with a license for the windows version, when I have nothing to put it on. Why is there no Bundle offer for Mac Only Users?

4 hours ago, Smpl said:

I just find it rude, and distasteful that they would offer such a discount so close to the release of a new version, and make ZERO attempt in the marketing to let folks know that a new version would be coming soon, so people could make the choice, spend money now to get a version that would no longer receive improvements, or wait for the new version to be released...

Now offering a higher cost, even with their "launch discount" and no offer to those that would be "upgrading" because of some BS about the App Store - There are many apps that offer upgrade licenses for their apps purchased through the App Store - or via their own website. There even one that allows you to screenshot your purchase from the App Store, and they will send you a discount code to buy the newer version on their website... So it has nothing to do with limitations, and all about their lack of wanting too..

And their Bundled package for $99 is useless to someone that has ZERO Windows machines.. what would I personally due with a license for the windows version, when I have nothing to put it on. Why is there no Bundle offer for Mac Only Users?

I agree with this, actually. I don't think it would've changed everything to give notice, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt given there doesn't appear to be a permanent upgrade path that would've compensated. It was too many shocks all at once. Celsys didn't need to give 6mo-ish for CSP, but they released the details of the most discouraging news first (introducing fee for updates) and so it gave the user a little bit of time to cope and then they released the pricing and feature set, which was accessible imv and didn't cause the same sense of panic. It felt more like they were trusting people enough to make their own decision rather than forcing all to make a decision "then and there".

8 hours ago, Smpl said:

I bought V1 just 2 months ago for the price I mentioned.

I can understand why you are frustrated.  It seems odd behaviour by Serif since (obviously) knew they were going to be releasing V2!  In the run up period why didn't they just offer V1 for whatever price with "Free upgrade to V2 when it launches".  That seems to be quite a common approach.

8 hours ago, Smpl said:

and not adding any additional function to the one just purchased.

Well a lot of people are buying v2 for the additional features, so obviously I, and thousands of other people, are wrong and you are right!

As you said yourself, you got v1 at a ridiculously low price. The current offer is way below the normal price, but I assume you expect them to sell v2 at an even lower price than the special offer price you paid for v1!

I don't use MACs, only Windows, but the current offer (including both, plus iPad) still works out cheaper for all three apps than paying the normal price for them individually!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

20 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

As you said yourself, you got v1 at a ridiculously low price. The current offer is way below the normal price, but I assume you expect them to sell v2 at an even lower price than the special offer price you paid for v1!

Narrators voice. Actually, none of this was said by the OP. Instead, it was from Paul's inner (often incorrect) interpretive voices, projected out so he could argue with that which he'd conjured into being.

13 hours ago, Smpl said:

To me that is ridiculously low, compared to the normal price!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

It's pretty common across all industries for something to be sold at an extremely tempting lower price just before a new version is released: it's something I tend to look out for as an indicator that something new is on the way. Not making a judgement on the practice, but just saying that it is quite a common practice.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

27 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

a ridiculously low price

28 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I assume you expect them to sell v2 at an even lower price

These are your points. From your imagination. Perhaps use some of it to create some illustrations.

9 hours ago, Smpl said:

Now offering a higher cost, even with their "launch discount"

So he seems to be complaining that the cost now is higher than the price he paid before! (Which was much cheaper than the normal price!)

4 minutes ago, Ali said:

It's pretty common across all industries for something to be sold at an extremely tempting lower price just before a new version is released: it's something I tend to look out for as an indicator that something new is on the way. Not making a judgement on the practice, but just saying that it is quite a common practice.

Why should a new customer for a first generation product from a company that went quiet for a year (to the extent that one of the most popular threads on this forum wondered about the future of the company) be attempting to read tea leaves in pricing signals?

9 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

So he seems to be complaining that the cost now is higher than the price he paid before! (Which was much cheaper than the normal price!)

You seem unable to parse the OP's post and points. But that didn't stop you making hyperbole. 

PS flattered you'd use up one of your rationed reactions saying you're confused by something you've read. Fortunately we're all aware of the reaction rationing, and can somewhat presume you're probably confused by most comments you read, as you seem to use that particular reaction (confused) a lot. I hope that one day things will be less confusing for you.

EDIT ADD: I see this one you've reacted to with sadness. I understand. It must be saddening to be so regularly confused. As I say, all the very best to you and your cognition. 

19 minutes ago, deeds said:

Why should a new customer for a first generation product from a company that went quiet for a year (to the extent that one of the most popular threads on this forum wondered about the future of the company) be attempting to read tea leaves in pricing signals?

I think you just answered your own question. I made it clear that I was making a general statement: this sort of price reduction (and the company going quiet, for that matter) ahead of a new version launch is common across industries. It is not peculiar to Serif. FACT. That is all I have to say.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

I give up! There is no point wasting my time trying to use common sense and trying to be reasonable with people who are deaf and blind to any opinion but their own. I've got better things to do, I'm otta here!

These forums used to be about helping fellow users, not just a platform for whingers who think that if they keep repeating the same nonsense long enough it becomes fact!

2 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

These forums used to be about helping fellow users, not just a platform for whingers who think that if they keep repeating the same nonsense long enough it becomes fact!

This is why I left and didn't post for a long time. I have only returned because of the V2 release, but am now about to remove my bookmark to the forum (again). It seems to be full of trolls these days, and some particularly nasty ones.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

10 minutes ago, Ali said:

This is why I left and didn't post for a long time. I have only returned because of the V2 release, but am now about to remove my bookmark to the forum (again). It seems to be full of trolls these days, and some particularly nasty ones.

Welcome (back) to the jungle. 😂 In the 18 months I've been in these forums, I haven't experienced anything like what's going on now with how some members are communicating. Hopefully civility will triumph after the craziness of the V2 launch subsides.

15 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

Welcome (back) to the jungle. 😂 In the 18 months I've been in these forums, I haven't experienced anything like what's going on now with how some members are communicating. Hopefully civility will triumph after the craziness of the V2 launch subsides.

I did - before you joined. For those of us who remember the halcyon days of the old Serif Forums, this really is a poor relation. There's always been an unpleasant undertow. I hope it improves for those of you who frequent it nowadays. As for me, I'm off. Good luck!

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.

15 minutes ago, Ali said:

As for me, I'm off. Good luck!

Oh Ali!

I was reading this thread, and I was delighted to see a post from you.

Now, alas, in a later post you are saying you are going.

Alas.

I remember the way you helped me. Also, in my second novel, one of the characters is named after what you once posted in a video that included you saying your favourite word in Spanish.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/localizable_sentences_the_second_novel_chapter_019.pdf

Please reconsider.

There are some wonderful threads in the Share your work forum.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, Ali said:
2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

1 hour ago, Ali said:
1 hour ago, Brian_J said:

I did - before you joined. For those of us who remember the halcyon days of the old Serif Forums, this really is a poor relation. There's always been an unpleasant undertow. I hope it improves for those of you who frequent it nowadays. As for me, I'm off. Good luck!

Yes, there's seemingly much "trolling" of those attempting to articulate their experiences with the software. Sadly, not a new phenomenon, but wasn't there in the "good ol' days".

This modern behaviour is hallmarked by a general callousness in extreme cases, but most obvious in thinly veiled animosity shrouded in varying amounts of unsympathetic responses that tend to take small portions of a post or comment to mischaracterise, then disclaim and dismiss and/or diminish and/or belittle - seemingly in an attempt to discredit the overarching considerations and articulations of the original post and/or comment and/or thread along with whatever proposals, requests or suggestions they've made.  

This pattern is so obvious, so frequent and so single minded in its obsequiousness and sycophancy to a supposed authority, and so consistently bordering on contemptuous hostility to those expressing sincere, heartfelt feedback and suggestions based on their personal experiences (often occurring most strongly to those new to, or returning to the forums and therefore limiting the capacity for shared experience expression and subsequent community building), that it's deserving of analysis to see if these aren't stemming from a hive-mind with an objective at odds with Serif, or an adventure in AI responses from a belligerent entity. 

Surely there can't be this many folks lacking in empathy and understanding of their fellow Affinity users and concurrently determined to attempt belittling, dismissing,  and/or diminishing concerns, troubles, issues, flow stoppers and foibles of the software. Software that is, after all, the subject. Nor can it be that this many folks are naive enough to think these kinds of approaches are a net positive for anyone, Serif or (least of all) themselves.

Right!?