You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can Serif consider implementing decoding of localizable sentence codes please?

Can Serif consider implementing decoding of localizable sentence codes please?

I posted within a thread in the Share your work forum.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/169391-language-independent-signs-for-art-galleries/&do=findComment&comment=1001122

Could you have a look at the possibilities please?

If the implementation happens the result would be an enormous leap forward in information technology, with Serif at the forefront of applying the invention. 

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

If an Affinity app implemented "decoding of localizable sentence codes" how would you envision that function being used?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for replying.

Please consider the present facility of using ligatures in text.

If there is some text in Affinity Publisher and using ligatures has been selected and the font in use supports ligatures, then a sequence such as ct will have a ct ligature glyph substituted in place of the letters ct.

I am thinking that the mechanism would be somewhat similar in some ways, though not in others.

I am thinking that if localization of localizable sentence codes has been selected and there is an appropriate sentence.dat file available to Affinity Publisher, then if a sequence of text that starts with an exclamation mark and followed directly by some digits is in the text then the sentence.dat file would be searched and if a match for the digits is found to the left of a | character, then the text to the right of the | character is substituted in place of the exclamation mark and the digits following it.

Thus the localizable sentence would become a sentence localized into some chosen language.

If the implementation were on an iPad then the iPad could be used in an art gallery and the code, such as !983 entered into Affinity Publisher, either by manually keying a code number displayed on a sign in the art gallery, or, perhaps the code becoming entered into Affinity Publisher by reading it automatically from the QR code that in part of the sign.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

3 minutes ago, William Overington said:

If the implementation were on an iPad then the iPad could be used in an art gallery and the code, such as !983 entered into Affinity Publisher, either by manually keying a code number displayed on a sign in the art gallery, or, perhaps the code becoming entered into Affinity Publisher by reading it automatically from the QR code that in part of the sign.

Thanks, but it seems unlikely to me that a gallery would have iPads for this use, and that such iPads would have Publisher on them, and that the gallery visitors would be given one of them, and would know how to use Publisher to do any of this.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I was meaning in the modality of the visitor having brought his or her own iPad to the art gallery.

The thing is to get an invention into widespread use one needs to start somewhere.

Something I learned and which has worked well for me is "Never grumble away your opportunities".

William

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

I was meaning in the modality of the visitor having brought his or her own iPad to the art gallery.

I don't know about art galleries where you live, but I've hardly ever seen a visitor caring an iPad in any that I've visited. Then there's expecting them to have an Affinity app installed. And you'd also need signage explaining how to use it for your purpose.

Earlier you talked about users using an app on their phone, and I think that's what you'd need. Something like a QR code scanner. Or processing built into the phone camera app, like they've done for QR codes.

-- Walt
PC:

Well, this section has as its subheading.

> Discussions about features that you think will make Affinity even better. ALL suggestions about the software go in this forum

So I have made a suggestion that I think will make Affinity even better.

Serif is in a win-win situation over this suggestion.

If Serif does not implement my suggestion, then Serif loses nothing.

If Serif does implement my suggestion, then Serif will gain the enormous publicity of having made a magnificent forward leap in implementing an invention. Other good things might follow from that.

William

The local iPad usage doesn't strike me as particularly likely either, but the general notion is not unlike the way localization is often handled in software development.  Another approach would be to implement custom fields as many have begged for, and to offer sets of field values which could be swapped out, so that you might have an English set and a Klingon set (for example) and selected fields might have different values in each set.  Then you could switch sets to change the values substituted for each field, select different sets upon export in order to generate copies of the document for each (so a list with checkbox items to pick whether exporting for English, Klingon or both in one step), etc.

That way after preparing the document for each language you could simply export a PDF or other format in each selected language and the suggested art gallery visitors could simply view the PDF or a printout of it, no need for special software.

Another idea is that, whereas Serif has versions in English, French, German, (are there any other versions?) if Serif had a localizable version, then a sentence.dat file could be used to localize terms such as Open and Save As... and so on.

That way, a version of Serif Affinity software could be produced with menus in any language that can be expressed in Unicode, by having a sentence.dat file in that language.

So, for example, a version in Welsh, a version in Latvian, a version in Japanese, and so on.

William