rastarr

AP and Media Browser

Hi,

It seems that the media browser in AP v1.4.1 is broken in some way, refer screenshot.

I'm reasonably confident Apple Photos is fine as I also use another app called Posterino that accesses Apple Photos via it's media browser just fine.

Any help would be great

Thanks guys for a great app as well

Martin

post-18657-0-80455800-1453768233_thumb.jpg

I've been able to replicate this by moving my "Photos Library.photoslibrary" from the Pictures folder to Documents. A workaround would be to move "Photos Library.photoslibrary" back to the Pictures folder.

I will log this with our developers. Thanks for letting us know :)

Is it safe to assume fixing this bug will also eliminate the same permissions denied errors when the Photos Library is on an external drive?

Also, I think it might be helpful to duplicate in the Affinity Media Browser the "Loading images" message one gets when using the File > Open > Sidebar Media > Photos method since for large libraries it can take a long time before any images begin to appear, giving users the mistaken impression that the Media Browser can't find any images.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Is it safe to assume fixing this bug will also eliminate the same permissions denied errors when the Photos Library is on an external drive?

Not sure, sorry. Hopefully our devs will give more info when they get this sorted :)

Yes, that's an interim fix, thanks

Just make sure you don't Save once loaded from Media Browser as this crashes AP instantly

I've been able to replicate this by moving my "Photos Library.photoslibrary" from the Pictures folder to Documents. A workaround would be to move "Photos Library.photoslibrary" back to the Pictures folder.

I will log this with our developers. Thanks for letting us know :)

@rastarr: Can you check whether the media explorer works in Apple Mail (see screenshot) even when the mediathek is in the documents folder? If yes, then it is an AP bug. If not, then it is a MacOS issue --> report it to http://bugreport.apple.com. 

@Affinity Photo team: when I have multiple Photo libraries, how can I switch between them via the Media Explorer? It seems to open only the system library. Even when I have opened another library with Apple photos, the media explorer still opens the system mediathek only. 

Best regards

BlauerClaus 

post-23077-0-69441800-1455571814_thumb.png

@Affinity Photo team: when I have multiple Photo libraries, how can I switch between them via the Media Explorer? It seems to open only the system library. Even when I have opened another library with Apple photos, the media explorer still opens the system mediathek only. 

Best regards

BlauerClaus 

Hi BlauerClaus,

Currently it is only possible to view the System Library using the Media Browser. There is an option in Photos Preferences to set the currently opened Library as the system one - this will be the one that Affinity will use. This may be a work around for now, however I'll pass an improvement to the developers to look at supporting multiple libraries!

I would not recommend to switch the system library for this purpose. It is connected to the iCloud. Switching would merge the photos in the first and second system library.

Best regards

BlauerClaus

I would not recommend to switch the system library for this purpose. It is connected to the iCloud. Switching would merge the photos in the first and second system library.

Like several other things that make using Apple's Photo app less than straightforward, this will depend on the System Preferences > iCloud options selected. You can safely use the "My Photo Stream" & "iCloud Photo Sharing" options without merging multiple System Photo Libraries, but not the "iCloud Photo Library" one.

Personally, because of this (& the cost of maintaining a large one) I avoid using the iCloud Photo Library service completely. I do not need access to my entire library from anywhere ... particularly since "anywhere" really means "anywhere there is Internet access & it is fast enough to download your stuff in a reasonable amount of time." 

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

I am also having this problem. Apparently, I cannot open any photos with Affinity Photo 1.5.2. This was not always the case. When I try to open a PSD sitting on the desktop, Photo tells me that it doesn't exist. If I try to open a JPEG on the desktop, it tells me that Permission is Denied. BTW Photoshop CS6 is able to open all of these files without problem.

Affinity Photo.png