You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyperlink to email address not working

I'm trying to create a hyperlink to an email address. I choose 'Email' from the hyperlink drop down menu, enter the email address, choose the Character style, but the 'OK' button to confirm everything is greyed out. In fact, it's greyed out as soon as I choose 'Email' from the drop down list.

Any ideas?

It works for me as long as I choose the Character Style after entering the email address. Even if it's already set to the one I want, I need to make a selection.

If that's not working for you, perhaps there's something wrong with the email address you entered?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

27 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It works for me as long as I choose the Character Style after entering the email address. Even if it's already set to the one I want, I need to make a selection.

If that's not working for you, perhaps there's something wrong with the email address you entered?

I've tried choosing different Character Styles and have just tried again with another email address I know to be correct, but the OK button is still greyed out.

From some of your prior posts, I think you're a Mac user. Can you confirm that, and which OS you use? I suppose it's possible it's only an issue on Mac.

Also, can you provide a screenshot showing the document text you're turning into a link, and the Insert Hyperlink panel where you're entering the email address? To avoid exposing the email, you could use a fake email address, just so its format matches what you're trying to use.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

From some of your prior posts, I think you're a Mac user. Can you confirm that, and which OS you use? I suppose it's possible it's only an issue on Mac.

Also, can you provide a screenshot showing the document text you're turning into a link, and the Insert Hyperlink panel where you're entering the email address? To avoid exposing the email, you could use a fake email address, just so its format matches what you're trying to use.

Thanks Walt. Yes, I use a Mac. OS is Catalina 10.15.7.

I've attached the screenshot, with xxx to disguise the email address, but I know that the email address is valid and have created hyperlinks to it in Publisher V1 with no issues. In this document the email address is in a bullet list (and the issue of not being able to use Ctrl+Alt+Cmd V to paste text into the hyperlink panel without styles still exists in V2), but I tried with the email address as plain body copy and still couldn't create an email hyperlink.

Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 16.56.38.jpg

Thanks. Certainly looks correct.

Perhaps another Mac user will be able to confirm the problem.

-- Walt
PC:

16 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I can replicate this.

Try clicking on the Hyperlink Properties window, the OK button may become available.

OK button not available:

image.png.9417d28b43a31a52ed9b1954ad50d723.png

I clicked on the window, now it is available:

image.png.bb99909afa162220bb7eba6f86e48433.png

Edit: Just pressing the return key in the Email field works too.

Perfect, thank you!!

A JPEG file cannot contain links, @TopRobRoy, regardless of the application you use. It is raster data, only.

-- Walt
PC:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 5/20/2023 at 11:01 AM, Rufus PNG said:

I am experiencing the same issue in v.2.1.0 on OS 12.0.1.

LondonSquirrel's workarounds aren't working for me.

Sorry to hear that you're having this issue. Pressing Enter should close the Hyperlink Properties window and apply the hyperlink. Is this not the case for you?

You can also press the TAB key, on your keyboard, after entering the email address to jump to the dropdown and you will notice that the OK button becomes available.

7 hours ago, Rufus PNG said:

Works fine with the URL option, but not Email.

Try toggling Type: to Anchor or one of the other types & then back again to Email. That seems to work for me when OK is greyed out when I first try to use an email address. I think this is a bug introduced in 2.0 or 2.1....

However, even when OK is greyed out, as suggested by @Leigh tapping the Enter (or Return) key on my keyboard applies the email to the text (as long as it is a valid email format); or pressing Tab makes OK available.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

No, really, none of those things are working for me.

I know my system is not of the most current, but I'm just an amateur who happens to use Affinity products for the occasional project. Unfortunately one of those is a family newsletter that really would benefit from a hyperlinked email address (sigh).

4 minutes ago, Rufus PNG said:

No, really, none of those things are working for me.

Are you sure the email address is properly formatted, with a @, a period, a 3 character domain and no spaces?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think I may have a clue to the problem. I think it rejects email addresses that include hyphens or underscores (which is rather awkward for me given that my organisational e-dresses contain underscores). If so, this is definitely a bug that needs fixing. It seems to work for addresses that are only alphanumeric (apart from the @, obviously).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "OK button remains greyed out after entering valid email address" (REF: AFB-7771) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1870".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.