You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When an interim release?

Is there any expectation about when Affinity Publisher could allow to work normally? nI am referring to the crashes subsequent to placing images.

Its instability is destroying me and my work.

Is my file that has something wrong in it or is it a general problem?

Is it possible that nobody is interested helping me?

More than 30 Macs, from 1984 Mac 512K Plus to 2020 iMac 27" i9

22 minutes ago, Gianni Becattini said:

Is there any expectation about when Affinity Publisher could allow to work normally?

You may want to follow staff's posts.
See e.g. here:

List of all staff members:
forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/staff

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I am not normally a troublemaker and I am very sorry that I became that in this case. But I am with my shoulders against the wall. Could please someone at least give me a workaround? I continue to propose solutions, but besides some quick answer, nobody really gave me attention.

I used to be a software developer, I know well this kind of problems and I am available for any cooperation.

I ask attention, because this problem became really big for me, and the last thing that I wish is a legal suite.

Please, please, please.....

17 minutes ago, Gianni Becattini said:

Could please someone at least give me a workaround?

With what?
Please do not repost here, just link to your earlier thread so that we can continue there.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, Gianni Becattini said:

I am referring to the crashes subsequent to placing images.

32 minutes ago, Gianni Becattini said:

Could please someone at least give me a workaround? I continue to propose solutions, but besides some quick answer, nobody really gave me attention.

It sounds you had reported the issue in another thread. Then this new thread might rather confuse than be useful because of possibly lost information. In case there exists already another related thread of yours it appears more useful to continue there, not here. In case you want to answer posts following below you can link or copy them to your original thread.

A workaround for what specific workflow or problem? Since "crashes subsequent to placing images" appear not to be a common issue reported in the forum I assume the culprit would be locally in your specific configuration. For instance:

• Have you tried other ways for placing images? (place menu command / place tool / drag&drop)
• Does it happen with every image? (every image content / size / file type)
• Does it happen with other resource formats? (e.g. PDF, Affinity files)
• What Affinity app is affected? (… and have you tried another?)
• Does it happen with every Affinity layout document, new (empty) included?
• What file paths are involved? (local only / external disks / network volumes) … What if you use local storage only?

What if you try this (needs APub) :
Create a new document. Choose menu Document > "Add Pages from File". Select an existing Affinity document and try to add 1 page/spread. Test if that solves the issue with placing images. If that works, add more … and use this document to continue.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks for your reply. Yes I tried elsewhere, but I got only quick replies. So, let's start again.

• my document is rather big: now is 440 pages and has more than 600 photos, diagrams etc. Perhaps is its size that creates problems (?)
  • besides few jpg and Affinity Designer, all the images are saved as Affinity Photo;
  • with AP 1 I never had big problems, besides a day that I could not anylonger open the file and you fixed it for me;
  • the problem is rather repetitive. When the document is healthy, it is about 600M big. Then I add an image and when I try to save it, everything can happen, from complete AP crash, to message that says that the document cannot be saved or other kill message.
  • I used ALWAYS the same scheme: any photo is an APhoto document, always I add a picture frame, then I place the image inside it in linked mode;
  • when the saving does not produce a crash or other catastrophes, very often the document grows unreasonably (up to 5G) and many photos become embedded and not anymore linked;
  • a possible workaround is to set all images as embedded and then to linked, and this often works, but I should do it every few minutes and it is not a practical way out. I cannot write the contents and continuously stop, check, recover from crashes etc.
  • now I am trying to split the all document in sub-documents and put them together as a Book. Until now I had no crash in this way, but I worked only on a small part of the document. I will have other problems in this way, but if that is the only way, I will accept it.
  • now the problem is almost repetitive, so it could be a case study for your developers.

Herzlich thanks for your help

Gianni, just a side note in general:

When you're working on a demanding project…

1. never upgrade a stable application you've been safely working with for some time already
  2. never upgrade the operating system to a brand new version

"Mission critical task 101" ;) 

23 hours ago, Gianni Becattini said:

As expected, no reply...

Did you see the banner at the top of the page about current response times?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Did you understand that your users deal with real life, real work and real problems created by you early release of an unstable version? Your increased response time is the proof that you did a big mistake releasing a beta as a production version.

But, as I said, I used to be a software developer in my previous life, and well know and understand the problems that you currently have. But this makes not easier mine.

However, I believe I found a solution that seems to work for me (since yesterday, so I still could get surprises):

• split the document in many sub-document;
  • use the nice new "book" V2 feature (eliminating the too long URL hyperlink, that in my case seems to be incompatible with the "book" organization).

I spent two intense weeks to arrive here. Perhaps, a word from someone could help me to get out of the hell. It was enough "boy, we know we cannot handle currently large documents... try to split and use books...". Few minutes for you, two weeks for me. I strongly believe that in my shoes you would say exactly the same.

53 minutes ago, Gianni Becattini said:

Did you understand that your users

In case you don't realize it, Gianni: so far the only responses in this topic are from other users (like you), trying to be helpful. No one from Serif has had time yet to get to this topic.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Gianni Becattini said:

Sorry Walt, from here nothing is clear. So thanks twice for your interest and time.

Posts from Serif Staff will have these characteristics if you're browsing with a large enough window (typically, a browser on a desktop or a larger tablet, but not on a phone):

The Avatar and posting info has several markings:

image.png.297c8bb0bb7274de164f9094043e1f6b.png

and on the top row of the post, toward the right, there will be a gray tag like this: image.png.1f8e71b867e91cb1361c032843870bba.png

On a phone, that gray tag will be above the avatar, and the avatar will include the badge. The user name will be in red rather than black. The bottom two markings won't be shown.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @Gianni Becattini,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

Our team are aware there were a few issues with the initial releases of Affinity V2 and we've been working hard since then to improve the performance of the apps, alongside increasing stability and adding multiple bug fixes and changes. Our apologies for any inconveniences during this time.

Can you please confirm for me, has the latest 2.0.4 update improved things for you here? :)

You may also be interested in trying out our latest 2.1 beta version, which you can find more about here - 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!