You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image on image following contour

I am using V2, Windows 10. I have an image of a pumpkin. I want to apply another image, like a flag decal, onto the side of the pumpkin, but I want it to follow the contours of the pumpkin, kind of like if it was painted on, if that makes any sense.

Is that possible to do in either Photo or Designer? I tried the Overlay blend mode but that doesn't seem to work for me. 

Thanks.

pumpkinl.jpg

flag.jpg

1 hour ago, Phil P said:

kind of like if it was painted on

If you expect that the flag will be deformed/applied to the surface of a 3D object, then Affinity cannot do it - certainly not automatically. Manually it could be done using Mesh Warp, 

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/SizeTransform/meshWarping.html

or Liquify Persona.

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/LiquifyPersona/liquify.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Something like this?

pumpkinl.jpg.51bb67e95520f8e25b35aca754ad7508.jpg.163edf7c92fe11b1a1b050b672bc2c29.jpg

In Photo V2, I used Mesh Warp to wrap it, using the vertical lines of the pumpkin as guides, and just kinda eyeballing it. This was a quicky attempt, but you could "tuck" mesh point in the grooves, especially at the bottom. This would give it a more 3D effect.

Then I set the blend mode of the Flag layer to Linear Light. The little gear to the right of Linear Light brings up the blending curves panel, so you tweak it until you get the desired effect. Hard Light also produces a nice effect.

There's one issue in V1 and now V2 you must heed: The layer panel will give no indication the curve has been changed. If you have multiple layers and you forget you changed the blending curves on one, it'll drive you berserk trying to figure out why nothing's displaying correctly.. I've got bit by this in Photoshop, and it has an indicator, It just didn't register in my brain.

If this does show an indication and I missed it, I'm happy to be corrected. Otherwise, you should change the indicator color of the layer in the layer panel (which I didn't).

CropImage.thumb.png.89ed141e59738336dce1d66c504d682e.png