You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Pro 12.9 Enable all personas visibility like desktop

You mean, spread them all out so they take a lot of space, rather than being shown compactly behind the one icon?

I think that what they've done is quite nice, and I'm glad they did it that way. How would your idea work when there are more icons on that row, such as when you have the Art Text Tool selected?

image.thumb.png.538743e5f4a9152b1341c567cf17c4e9.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Make it dynamic. Would be less clicks when possible, and compacted when need be. Like less space available like your case. It's not impossible.

For me on PC with lower resolution it's also cluttered sometimes but things as important as personas are always visible.

Why we have this dualism in UX ? Things are ok somewhere and unacceptable elsewhere? I thought they aim to unify workflow. 

Better yet as I suggested somewhere else - give us option to customize toolbars and let everyone set like they want it instead forcing someone's opinion on all saying  'we know better'.

Or make double row at the top. Stop hiding features behind buttons. We have space, why not use it?

Wouldn't You agree?

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You mean, spread them all out so they take a lot of space, rather than being shown compactly behind the one icon?

I think that what they've done is quite nice, and I'm glad they did it that way. How would your idea work when there are more icons on that row, such as when you have the Art Text Tool selected?

Hey, walt. This is something I really want to have a debate about. I think all personas should be lined next to each other. How it was in v1 and how mrqasq here is asking for and the reason why I say that is because it makes it easier for the user to toggle between into each persona. These personas are very important. Users should be able to toggle into them easily with one tap. Now, users have to do 2 taps just to get to them. 2 taps slows workflow and it makes it less easy to toggle into them.

Heres the REAL issue though. Serif thought it was a good idea to put the context toolbar at the top on the same row the personas are on. Bad idea. That row at the top now becomes full of icons and these context toolbar icons now clash with the persona, document, and edit buttons. Because they clash, serif now has to make room for the context toolbar buttons and has put the personas into their own little single button pop up menu. This was a bad design choice by serif. This design choice makes the user do more work to get to important personas. This context toolbar ruins everything.

I hate the context tool bar at the top. It was fine at the bottom in v1 but serif said something about they needed to move the context toolbar because it was in the way of the users canvas. It was distracting so it was moved to the top. I truthfully believe that if serif wanted to put the context toolbar at the top, they should have made a second row and have this second row reserved for the context toolbar. THATS what should have happened.

That way the top row is reserved for all personas, the document, and edit buttons.  And then the context toolbar has its own row below for as many buttons it has. So now theres no button clashing going on and users can now 1 tap easily into their own personas.

On top of that, the top row where the personas,document, and edit buttons are should have been where the customizable toolbar should have gone. Its what users have been asking for years. Serif made a mistake by putting the context toolbar there instead of the customizable toolbar. And you know why the context toolbar at the top is a bad design decision? Its bad when not all the buttons of the context toolbar can fit on the bar at the top that you have to do a swipe left on the bar to see the rest of the buttons of the context toolbar that are hiding behind the zoom preview mode and snapping. Thats when you know its bad. 

So all personas should be displayed. No pop up menus for personas. The context toolbar should have gone on a second row below the top row. 

3 hours ago, mrqasq said:

Wouldn't You agree?

I totally agree, my friend.

Or make double row at the top.

I literally said that while I was typing my response in my previous comment, so I know Im right now. ☺️

Stop hiding features behind buttons.

THIS. Ive said this so many times, and I'll say it again. Serif is playing a game with users and the game is called "Hide and Go Seek." I dont want to play your game, Serif. I dont want to seek what youre hiding from us users. Stop hiding things from us. 

We have space, why not use it?

We have space but its very limited. A second row will NOT hurt though. 

give us option to customize toolbars and let everyone set like they want it

Thats what users having been asking for years. There needs to be a customizable toolbar at the top. Currently, serif already added buttons at the top that they took out from the edit menu for us. So they did the customizing for us when really it should have been us who should have done the customization

Would be less clicks when possible

less taps = good design

several taps = bad design

2 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

This is something I really want to have a debate about.

Sorry, but I don't plan to debate this. I like the current design of the Persona buttons in the V2 iPad apps.

You're free to have and express your own viewpoints, and from your prior posts it's clear that you do have a number of them :) 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry, but I don't plan to debate this.

I was going to clarify what I wrote by editing my post, but I got side tracked and I didnt. What I meant to say, and I didnt, was "this is something I really want to have a debate about WITH SERIF." I meant to have a debate with serif. Not you.  This is a conversation I want to have with them. I apologize, my friend. Im sorry if it came off as me coming for you with this whole detailed paragraph. Sorry, again. 

Thanks for the clarification :) 

By the way: in case you haven't noticed it yet, Serif generally does not discuss topics in the Feedback forums. This section of the forums is here for us to express our wishes, and for Serif planners to read. They seldom respond in this part of the forum, and I would be extremely surprised if they would debate.

-- Walt
PC: