You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Uninstalling Affinity Photo

27 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for providing that for me @Stolzy - this is certainly interesting behaviour that I haven't seen previously, and I'm unable to replicate this behaviour here currently, my brush is set at 1200px without this occurring.

Can you please navigate to Affinity Photo 2 > Preferences > User Interface and untick Show Brush Previews. Does this change the behaviour of these tools for you please? :)

I did and it was just the same.

• Staff

How are you resizing the brush? Are you using the [ ] keys or this?

1386911718_ScreenShot2020-07-20at19_20_00.png.97483d11158095f2131fc2d2dc97e224.png

It doesn't look like the 2nd option as I guess we'd see it in the recoding but I may as well ask.

I've never seen anything like this so we may have to check on some different hardware.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

How are you resizing the brush? Are you using the [ ] keys or this?

1386911718_ScreenShot2020-07-20at19_20_00.png.97483d11158095f2131fc2d2dc97e224.png

It doesn't look like the 2nd option as I guess we'd see it in the recoding but I may as well ask.

I've never seen anything like this so we may have to check on some different hardware.

Yes, simply the [] keys

• Staff

Thanks for confirming. I am still unable to reproduce this.

I've tried on 8, 16 and 32 bit documents—small and large (dimensions). I've tried with Metal on/off, different formats etc. I have tried 3 different Mac's (iMac and 2x MacBook's). 

I am at a bit of a loss to be honest but I will ask around the team to see if we can get it on some other hardware.

On 1/23/2023 at 10:29 AM, Chris B said:

Thanks for confirming. I am still unable to reproduce this.

I've tried on 8, 16 and 32 bit documents—small and large (dimensions). I've tried with Metal on/off, different formats etc. I have tried 3 different Mac's (iMac and 2x MacBook's). 

I am at a bit of a loss to be honest but I will ask around the team to see if we can get it on some other hardware.

This only happens on my desktop machine:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro7,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Xeon W

Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB

L3 Cache: 16.5 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 48 GB

Boot ROM Version: 1554.100.64.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.14556.0.0,0)

Serial Number (system): C02C40JSK7GF

Hardware UUID: 3642D4EE-3B28-5C24-B545-74EACE2DE440

Activation Lock Status: Enabled

It works fine on my MacBook and used to work fine on the MacPro.

I'm dreading the necessity to go back to PS after so long with AP, but this behaviour makes it just about impossible to continue.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Stolzy said:

Any progress with this?

Funny, I was just wondering the same thing last night.
I was thinking what might happen if you were to make a new user account on your system. Don’t add any other apps to the new account, just add AP, and try running it there and see if the same problem happens in the new account.
That might at least indicate if the problem lies within your current Home folder or not. Just a thought...

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• Staff

Without being able to reproduce it, I have nothing to submit to the developers.

markw suggested that you try a new user and this would help identify where the issue is coming from. If there's a 3rd party app causing an issue (and there has been in the past) we can slowly start disabling groups of running processes to narrow it down.

My concern is that if it's related to the 8-Core Intel Xeon W which we do not have access to—or similar.

18 minutes ago, Stolzy said:

Is there a possibility to resolve this?

I think it may come down to the hint that @Chris B suggested above: figuring out the difference between the two users.

For example, generating a list of active processes for each user. Then stopping/disabling processes that are running for the user where it fails, but are not running for the user where it works. When disabling a process allows Affinity to work properly for both users, you have narrowed down the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1