You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Uninstalling Affinity Photo

What OS?

Also what version of Photo? V1 or V2?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

How to do a complete uninstall will depend on where you bought the app from; Mac App Store or direct from Serif, as the Affinity apps support folders will be stored in different locations, depending.
But as a complete uninstall is something of a scorched earth approach, perhaps if you could describe the problem/s you are having with the app in question in more detail it might be that there is a less drastic solution to be found.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2022 at 12:15 PM, markw said:

How to do a complete uninstall will depend on where you bought the app from; Mac App Store or direct from Serif, as the Affinity apps support folders will be stored in different locations, depending.
But as a complete uninstall is something of a scorched earth approach, perhaps if you could describe the problem/s you are having with the app in question in more detail it might be that there is a less drastic solution to be found.

I'd already posted the problem here, but without response.

The problem is that if I try and use any brush larger than about 400 px Affinity hangs until I reduce the brush size to less than 400px 

Thanks for the extra info, the more the better!
Unfortunately I’m not seeing this behaviour on my system at all. Nor ever have thankfully.
Dose it happen when using any tool that has a head size that can be set?
Or is it when using any painting brush, a specific brush setting or a specific brush preset?
Your on macOS 12.2.2 I see but what hardware specks do you have and what imput devise are you using?
And in AP what Performance setting do you have?
Are you able to post a recording, showing the whole UI, of what happens when trying to use a brush or tool larger the 400px?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

On 1/9/2023 at 5:10 PM, markw said:

Thanks for the extra info, the more the better!
Unfortunately I’m not seeing this behaviour on my system at all. Nor ever have thankfully.
Dose it happen when using any tool that has a head size that can be set?
Or is it when using any painting brush, a specific brush setting or a specific brush preset?
Your on macOS 12.2.2 I see but what hardware specks do you have and what imput devise are you using?
And in AP what Performance setting do you have?
Are you able to post a recording, showing the whole UI, of what happens when trying to use a brush or tool larger the 400px?

Yes, any tool that has a variable head size.

Mac spec:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro7,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Xeon W

Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB

L3 Cache: 16.5 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 48 GB

Boot ROM Version: 1554.100.64.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.14556.0.0,0)

Serial Number (system): C02C40JSK7GF

Hardware UUID: 3642D4EE-3B28-5C24-B545-74EACE2DE440

Activation Lock Status: Enabled

AMD Radeon Pro 580X:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 580X

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 8 GB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x67df

Revision ID: 0x00c0

ROM Revision: 113-C9440C-171

VBIOS Version: 113-C944A1XT-014

EFI Driver Version: 01.01.183

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

3 Monitors: DELL U3419W, 2 x DELL U2715H

Input device is mouse.

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 11.22.43.png

On 1/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, Stolzy said:

The problem is that if I try and use any brush larger than about 400 px Affinity hangs until I reduce the brush size to less than 400px

Did you also alraedy tried out, if that behavior might possibly change for Monterey, if you under the above shown prefs performance panel settings do disable "Metal compute acceleration" and switch instead over to use OpenGL?

For uninstalling MacOS apps (like APh), it depends on if you want to keep the associated app settings, resources, dependencies etc. here or not? - Since the common Apple MacOS way of dragging the app folder into the trash (or deleting the app folder only) doesn't remove all other by an app over time created resources/dependencies/settings here.

In order to get rid of all app dependencies too there are other third party apps which offer to do so though not all are equally good therin. - Some of those apps are ...

I would probably first try to get rid of all then with the free one listed above, if that doesn't do a complete clean deinstall job, I would try some of the other tools of the list!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Did you also alraedy tried out, if that behavior might possibly change for Monterey, if you under the above shown prefs performance panel settings do disable "Metal compute acceleration" and switch instead over to use OpenGL?

For uninstalling MacOS apps (like APh), it depends on if you want to keep the associated app settings, resources, dependencies etc. here or not? - Since the common Apple MacOS way of dragging the app folder into the trash (or deleting the app folder only) doesn't remove all other by an app over time created resources/dependencies/settings here.

In order to get rid of all app dependencies too there are other third party apps which offer to do so though not all are equally good therin. - Some of those apps are ...

I would probably first try to get rid of all then with the free one listed above, if that doesn't do a complete clean deinstall job, I would try some of the other tools of the list!

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Catalina - my (expensive) Canon Pro-1 printer will only work with Catalina

I've already tried deleting Affinity Photo.app and reinstalling, but to no effect.

3 minutes ago, Stolzy said:

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with Catalin - my (expensive) Canon pro-1 printer will only work with Catalina

... and according to the Canon driver download page also BigSur.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I can’t but help feel this is going to be something specific about your system causing this and I confess I’m struggling to think what it might be!
Can you confirm that you are on macOS Catalina and not, as you may have mistakenly said earlier, macOS 12.2.2?
I’m still on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and not seeing this so I’m not convinced it’s the specific OS that is the problem.
As v_kyr suggested have you tried disabling Metal and switching to OpenGL in AP’s Preferences?
Possibly a long shot this but I might also try disconnecting two of your monitors just to see if it makes a difference only having one connected.

1 hour ago, markw said:

I can’t but help feel this is going to be something specific about your system causing this and I confess I’m struggling to think what it might be!
Can you confirm that you are on macOS Catalina and not, as you may have mistakenly said earlier, macOS 12.2.2?
I’m still on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and not seeing this so I’m not convinced it’s the specific OS that is the problem.
As v_kyr suggested have you tried disabling Metal and switching to OpenGL in AP’s Preferences?
Possibly a long shot this but I might also try disconnecting two of your monitors just to see if it makes a difference only having one connected.

Apols, I might have responded from my MacBook at some point an unthinkingly said I was on 12.2.2

I don't think it's an OS issue, I've been using this Mac for almost 2 years and most of the time I didn't have this problem.

Changing to OpenGL made no difference.

Disconnecting two monitors ditto.

• Staff

Hi @Stolzy,

Our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

As above, I would recommend resetting the app back to default settings to see if this helps, as simply uninstalling and reinstalling the app will unlike change any behaviour.

To do this, please open the Affinity App and then immediately hold the CTRL key, you should see the Clear User Data dialog appear.

Here, please tick all options in the top category, less the "Reset Content Migration Prompt" and tick all options in the second category, less the "Reset Account Data" option, so you should see the following:

image.png

Now select Clear and the app should open - please note you will lose any saved assets, brushes, presets etc that you have created, so please be sure to export these from the app first if you wish to keep them.

Do you still see the same issue once the app has loaded, post reset? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

20 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Stolzy,

Our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

As above, I would recommend resetting the app back to default settings to see if this helps, as simply uninstalling and reinstalling the app will unlike change any behaviour.

To do this, please open the Affinity App and then immediately hold the CTRL key, you should see the Clear User Data dialog appear.

Here, please tick all options in the top category, less the "Reset Content Migration Prompt" and tick all options in the second category, less the "Reset Account Data" option, so you should see the following:

image.png

Now select Clear and the app should open - please note you will lose any saved assets, brushes, presets etc that you have created, so please be sure to export these from the app first if you wish to keep them.

Do you still see the same issue once the app has loaded, post reset? :)

Yes, it's exactly the same.

• Staff

Thanks for trying that for me and I'm sorry to hear this! Can you please take a screen recording, showing the steps you are taking and the issue you are experiencing?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

If this recording can please include the document creation steps, the brush/tool you're selecting, and the tool settings you have set for this brush, this will help me to better investigate this for you.

Many thanks once again!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Attached

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for trying that for me and I'm sorry to hear this! Can you please take a screen recording, showing the steps you are taking and the issue you are experiencing?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

If this recording can please include the document creation steps, the brush/tool you're selecting, and the tool settings you have set for this brush, this will help me to better investigate this for you.

Many thanks once again!

Attached

On 1/9/2023 at 12:37 PM, Stolzy said:

Is the video actually showing this behavior? I confess I'm a little confused by it...
I don’t see the head size gong above 370 nor dose the app appear to freeze at any point?

What I think I’m seeing in your recording is the Clone brush appears not to be doing anything?
Is this another problem that you’re having?
Re-watching the recording and I can’t see the small cross-hair that normally indicates that a cloning source has been selected, which might explain why nothing is happening? Though if that were the case I would have expected to see the assistant window open warning you of this?

15 hours ago, markw said:

Is the video actually showing this behavior? I confess I'm a little confused by it...
I don’t see the head size gong above 370 nor dose the app appear to freeze at any point?

What I think I’m seeing in your recording is the Clone brush appears not to be doing anything?
Is this another problem that you’re having?
Re-watching the recording and I can’t see the small cross-hair that normally indicates that a cloning source has been selected, which might explain why nothing is happening? Though if that were the case I would have expected to see the assistant window open warning you of this?

I think its fairly clear.  You can see theclone brush moving about, then I increase the brush size to 370 and it stops moving.  It's nothing to do with the clone brush but happens with any brush with a selectable size.

I have Affinity installed on my MacBook and it works fine there, it used to work fine on my MacPro too.

Thanks for the clarification there🙂
Have you tried Dan C’s suggestion of doing a ctrl startup of AP (by holding down the control key as if starts) to reset it to it’s original default state?
This will bring up a window that will allow you to reset everything within the app or just selected areas and items.

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me @Stolzy - this is certainly interesting behaviour that I haven't seen previously, and I'm unable to replicate this behaviour here currently, my brush is set at 1200px without this occurring.

Can you please navigate to Affinity Photo 2 > Preferences > User Interface and untick Show Brush Previews. Does this change the behaviour of these tools for you please? :)

24 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for providing that for me @Stolzy - this is certainly interesting behaviour that I haven't seen previously, and I'm unable to replicate this behaviour here currently, my brush is set at 1200px without this occurring.

Can you please navigate to Affinity Photo 2 > Preferences > User Interface and untick Show Brush Previews. Does this change the behaviour of these tools for you please? :)

No difference.