You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't Save My Work

I just finished two stacks (2x around 20 photos) and got ready to save them. Now the save window opens, but when I click SAVE nothing happens and my work is still named Untitled. When I try to export, same thing. When I open a 'New Focus Merge' and I click 'add' nothing happens. This happened to me twice before with the V2, and it's really super frustrating. I didn't close it yet, because I hope someone here has the magic key. I have a deadline like NOW, and I don't have time to re-edit both stacks again. Anyone? Thanks 

1 hour ago, MacroByMarit said:

got ready to save them. Now the save window opens, but when I click SAVE nothing happens and my work is still named Untitled.

Which Mac OS are you using? What sort of Mac are you using? Do you change the name while the save dialog box is open? To where do you want / attempt to save the file? Where are the 20 photos from? What sort of file are they (TIFFs, JPEGs, PNGs, etc)? Have you ever used multiple monitors with this computer?

Be aware that the Affinity applications do not play nice with the various flavours of Cloud storage and even local networks can cause problems.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Montery
  • iMac
  • No, there isn't an option to change the name yet
  • Anywhere, I don't see the option yet 
  • 20 Photos come from Photos, they are JPEGs
  • I haven't used multiple monitors
  • Yeah.. opening files from Photos was a disaster in V1 and sadly it remains that way. I first export them from photos, then add to focus merge and that works fine. Until suddenly it doesn't

First of all I should say that I have not used Apple's Photos after the first month or so of its introduction back whenever, lot of years ago. I cannot comment on whether or not it is a contributing factor here. You could check to see if there is an Affinity Photo Document buried somewhere in your apple's Photo database location. 

Not seeing the Save Dialog is a problem. Are any of the menus 'active'? Can you select different things or are they all greyed out? If you have the Save Dialog open somewhere the menus should have pretty much nothing available.

So if you have nothing available we will assume that the Save dialog is open somewhere. If you hit Command + D this will make the desktop the location for the file to be saved to. Then you can just hit the return key to save Untitled to the desktop. Check see if the Menus work, check see if Untitled is on the Desktop.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

@MacroByMarit

I keep for getting about the File > Revel in Finder menu item. Try that to see if the file is actually saved somewhere.

I saved my files by copying them in Affinity Photo V1 and saving from there. I've tried your suggestions, but none of them work. I'm working on a big project right now, and this happened again today. Very frustrating. I didn't use photos this time but exported everything first to Finder. So that doesn't seem to be the issue. It's as if that 2nd Save window is hiding somewhere, but it's nowhere. I pressed enter in the hope it would save. Reveal in Finder is greyed out sadly so that also wasn't an option. Really hope this (glitch?) can get fixed. 

Thanks for your help so far, I appreciate it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @MacroByMarit,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm I'm personally using an iMac running Monterey and unfortunately I'm not seeing the same issue currently, though previously I have seen similar reports where the Finder save window, or Affinity export window can appear behind the Affinity app UI incorrectly.

Just to confirm, are these dialogs being opened behind the app for you, or do they simply not show at all?

Did you install the Affinity app from the Affinity Store, or Mac App Store please?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)