You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not able to export a graphic with text to PDF

Hi there,

today I’ve created a simple graphic in Affinitydesigner. But while trying to export the graphic to a pdf (no matter wich pdf-export-preset I’ve chosen) AD crashes. After some tests I realized that AD is not able to export the graphic with a text (it’s only a @-sign) – the graphic without the text eports as expected.

Any ideas?

greetings

Karsten

• Staff

If it's only one symbol (@) you can convert it to curves going to menu Layer ▸ Convert to Curves before exporting, or export the PDF and set the Embed Fonts dropdown (clicking on the More button on the bottom of the Export dialog) to Text as Curves.

Any chance you can provide us the font for testing?

PM me a link if you don't want or can't post it publicly.

If it's only one symbol (@) you can convert it to curves going to menu Layer ▸ Convert to Curves before exporting, or export the PDF and set the Embed Fonts dropdown (clicking on the More button on the bottom of the Export dialog) to Text as Curves.

The »Text as curves« workaround works! It’s only a workaround, but … better than crashing app ;-)

Meanwhile I hope, you folks catch the problem with the font.

Have you tried opening Apple's Font Book application, selecting the LinotypeSyntax font, & then selecting "Validate Font" from that app's File menu? It may be that the font is somehow damaged & that is causing the crash. (Adobe sometimes uses their own font handling methods instead of the ones provided by OS X, so that might be why Illustrator can handle a damaged font that other apps cannot.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Have you tried opening Apple's Font Book application, selecting the LinotypeSyntax font, & then selecting "Validate Font" from that app's File menu? It may be that the font is somehow damaged & that is causing the crash. (Adobe sometimes uses their own font handling methods instead of the ones provided by OS X, so that might be why Illustrator can handle a damaged font that other apps cannot.)

Unfortunately, after deactivating the font in fontexplorer and activating via Font Book: nothing changed. I’ve checked the font as advised – seems to be o.k.

Now, I’ve stated, that’s AD craschin while trying to copy any text setted in Syntax.