You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macros editing

I can do so to a degree by selecting the Macro in the Library and with a right click I can choose Edit Macro. Note that I should save the edited Macro under a different name.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

31 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I can do so to a degree...

It's the same limited degree as in V1: there is no way to insert a new step anywhere except at the end, & no way to remove (only disable) a step already recorded.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

It's the same limited degree as in V1: there is no way to insert a new step anywhere except at the end

For a long/complex macro that you do not want to redo from scratch

Split the macro into 2 macros...

The first macro contains all the original steps up to the new step(s) you want to add (call it Part1)

The second macro contains all the original steps after the step(s) you want to add (call it Part2)

Create a new macro with the step(s) you want to add and call it Part1b

Now at the end of the Part1 macro insert the command to run the macro called Part1b

and at the end of the Part1b macro insert the command to run the macro called Part2

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

15 hours ago, henryg said:

Why after all these years is it still not possible to edit macros?

Possibly because they are working on scripting, which "should" be more powerful than macros?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

The first macro contains all the original steps up to the new step(s) you want to add (call it Part1)

The second macro contains all the original steps after the step(s) you want to add (call it Part2)

Create a new macro with the step(s) you want to add and call it Part1b

Now at the end of the Part1 macro insert the command to run the macro called Part1b

and at the end of the Part1b macro insert the command to run the macro called Part2

Thank you for the suggestion and I'll give it a try.

I remember, when I was using Photoshop, there was a script that allowed to decompile actions and edit them in a text editor.
If memory serves me correctly, I believe in xml format.
It would be great if we had this possibility while we wait for better macro editing features.
Maybe a tool to decompile/recompile macros? Just an idea.

12 hours ago, carl123 said:

OK, I give up. How specifically can you 'split' an existing macro? Like I mentioned earlier, I can disable a step & save a new version of it, but that is not the same thing as removing any of its steps, & even if it did, would not I have to duplicate the larger macro & remove steps from both?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

OK, I give up. How specifically can you 'split' an existing macro?

Say you have a 10 step macro and want to insert a step after step 5

First disable steps 6 to 10 and save that as Part1

Then reenable those steps and disable steps 1 to 5 save that as Part2

Then follow instructions shown previously to create Part1b and "link" all 3 macros together

Just now, carl123 said:

First disable steps 6 to 10 and save that as Part1

As I said above, disabling a step does not remove it from the macro. I think what the OP (& I) would like to see is a way to reorder, remove, & otherwise edit macros without the need for tedious duplications & other clumsy workarounds in simple, straightforward ways, like dragging to reorder or right-clicking to remove a step.

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

As I said above, disabling a step does not remove it from the macro.

Nobody has said it does

We have to work within the limitations of the current implementation of macros if we want to get on with our work

24 minutes ago, carl123 said:

We have to work within the limitations of the current implementation of macros if we want to get on with our work

Please reread what the OP said about this; that is, why we are still limited in this way.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Please reread what the OP said about this; that is, why we are still limited in this way.

Not only did I read it but I directly addressed that specific point as well - in my second post to this thread

Quote: "Possibly because they are working on scripting, which "should" be more powerful than macros?"

11 hours ago, carl123 said:

Not only did I read it but I directly addressed that specific point as well - in my second post to this thread

Quote: "Possibly because they are working on scripting, which "should" be more powerful than macros?"

Scripting & better editing in the existing macro feature are two different things.

Affinity Photo 

As far as I understand, after writing hundreds of if not thousands of macros, is that it is still a process that is driven by keystrokes.  When creating macros the order of actions as well as, hidden actions that are recorded as unseen function within the recording.  It is very hard to create a perfect keystroke macro.  Undoubtedly, we all make mistakes typing and then deleting which are all recorded in the process whether you can see it or not, make the macro less than streamlined.  This would create problems in an editor since the unseen actions could trip up the flow that it was originally following.   Creating subroutines in macros can help to solve some of those problems.  Not only that, but, the macros can function much faster because they tend to be smaller and generally cleaner than a really long macro...I have created macros with over 400 commands much of which had many repetitive processes.  Not fun to try to redo, but, hey, that's what learning is for...The other reason that I can see why this has not been radically altered is that there is already a lot of great macros available for free that still function perfectly and nobody, including myself, wants to rewrite all of them.  When they are complicated, I write them out by hand on paper and then follow the flow until I get the rhythm just right, or not, depends on the user.  :)   - TV