You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer V2 for iPad - Unable to rename document

GillyB

Sorry if this has already been asked. I've looked through the FAQ's but haven't spotted anything about this.

According to the video tutorial detailing what's new in Affinity Designer V2 for iPad when in "Live Docs" I should be able to rename a document by swiping left.

I don't seem to have that option available.

Options available are "Save" or "Duplicate" or if the document is part of a Project I have the additional option to move it out of the Project but there doesn't seem to be the option to rename the document

However I can rename a Project I just can't rename a document.

I must be doing something stupid or perhaps my App has got messed up somehow and perhaps I need to delete it and reinstall?

Attached is a photo of the options that I have when swiping left on a document that is in a project

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

IMG_1229.jpg

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Things have changed since the videos were produced. At this point, you cannot do a Rename. You can do a Save As via the burger menu on the upper right of that document icon, which will let you save a new copy with a different name.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread, apologies for my duplicate.

Why would I want to create a new file every time I need to rename my document? I have one pattern file which is 20mb in size. I have renamed it twice. Now I have 3 same documents, together 60mb big on my iPad storage. Apologies for my annoyed tone, but why would you make our work harder and compromise our storage? Or maybe I am missing something in here. In that case I apologize.

5 minutes ago, WeronikaSalach said:

Just found this thread, apologies for my duplicate.

Why would I want to create a new file every time I need to rename my document? I have one pattern file which is 20mb in size. I have renamed it twice. Now I have 3 same documents, together 60mb big on my iPad storage. Apologies for my annoyed tone, but why would you make our work harder and compromise our storage? Or maybe I am missing something in here. In that case I apologize.

Is a shared mindset by many, much like the inability now to Save a document while it is open and working on it.
Especially considering App Crash possibilities and losing time/work.

But at least can easily Rename actual document in the Files folder, not save new copies just to rename one…as inconvenient as it can be in comparison.
Suggest using a Free Cloud storage like Dropbox…to help with low storage availability which we all have of some sort for Archiving work off of the iPad and free up data used (will also still leave room on your iCloud account for Device Backup etc.)

2 hours ago, StudioJason said:

But at least can easily Rename actual document in the Files folder, not save new copies just to rename one

If you're going to do that, I think it's probably best to Close the document from the application's Live Docs view first.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, StudioJason said:

Tell her not me

You're the one suggesting it. And it's a reasonable suggestion, with my caveat added, so thanks.

Weronika should see this, according to the list of users Following this topic :)

-- Walt
PC:

Yeah, I do see everything, thank you :)

For my personal workflow, I really need to be able to change the name of the document easily WITHIN the interface. Say, I work on a pattern. I need to create/duplicate the following documents and rename them accordingly:

1. Creating a duplicate of my master file for pattern making, renaming it to its base name

2. Creating out of it a “clean” version and renaming it to my catalogue name, with the year, the number of the collection and so on

3. Then out of that I make a copy and create color variations.

Below I’m attaching an example of one folder in version 1 of Affinity iPad version. I rely on renaming a lot and I go back to those files a lot to work on them, so I rely on having clean document names. I’m not interested in having proper names in my folders app - I need to have it tidy within Affinity because out of one pattern I easily create 3-5 color variations, and then each collection has 5-10 patterns, so you can do the math. Many of the, look very similar, and I work a lot on creating duplicates.

Thank you for suggesting that I buy Dropbox, maybe you’d like to sponsor it for me? :) I have a 5tb external drive that I periodically save my work to, and google drive. I assume you were referring to the 2GB free storage option? Can’t do that if each pattern file is about 20MB big. Each of my files contains a master file for building pattern and another art-board for my 11000px canvas for my POD shops. Those are not small. Every time I try to rename it by saving it, I create huge copies that I then need to delete manually.

Thank you nevertheless for trying to help. I wish you’d just left the option that we can rename our documents, instead of “making us happy” by forcing us to do something else. I never had the problem with unsaved or lost files sigh… I’m also using Fresco on my iPad, and there you can also rename documents on the spot. It seems like such a BASIC thing to have. I’m already getting questions about it from my social media followers, and I feel like I’m Serif’s customer care, trying to make everyone happy answering those questions, when I’m not happy myself. Just leave the “rename” option and let me myself face the consequences in case I lose any data :(

81870C23-BAFF-448D-B27F-4F17E9EBB2AA.jpeg

24 minutes ago, WeronikaSalach said:

Yeah, I do see everything, thank you :)

For my personal workflow, I really need to be able to change the name of the document easily WITHIN the interface. Say, I work on a pattern. I need to create/duplicate the following documents and rename them accordingly:

1. Creating a duplicate of my master file for pattern making, renaming it to its base name

2. Creating out of it a “clean” version and renaming it to my catalogue name, with the year, the number of the collection and so on

3. Then out of that I make a copy and create color variations.

Below I’m attaching an example of one folder in version 1 of Affinity iPad version. I rely on renaming a lot and I go back to those files a lot to work on them, so I rely on having clean document names. I’m not interested in having proper names in my folders app - I need to have it tidy within Affinity because out of one pattern I easily create 3-5 color variations, and then each collection has 5-10 patterns, so you can do the math. Many of the, look very similar, and I work a lot on creating duplicates.

Thank you for suggesting that I buy Dropbox, maybe you’d like to sponsor it for me? :) I have a 5tb external drive that I periodically save my work to, and google drive. I assume you were referring to the 2GB free storage option? Can’t do that if each pattern file is about 20MB big. Each of my files contains a master file for building pattern and another art-board for my 11000px canvas for my POD shops. Those are not small. Every time I try to rename it by saving it, I create huge copies that I then need to delete manually.

Thank you nevertheless for trying to help. I wish you’d just left the option that we can rename our documents, instead of “making us happy” by forcing us to do something else. I never had the problem with unsaved or lost files sigh… I’m also using Fresco on my iPad, and there you can also rename documents on the spot. It seems like such a BASIC thing to have. I’m already getting questions about it from my social media followers, and I feel like I’m Serif’s customer care, trying to make everyone happy answering those questions, when I’m not happy myself. Just leave the “rename” option and let me myself face the consequences in case I lose any data :(

81870C23-BAFF-448D-B27F-4F17E9EBB2AA.jpeg

Would agree completely, as it is a simple thing even in Procreate to rename Files in the Gallery itself.

13 hours ago, StudioJason said:

Would agree completely, as it is a simple thing even in Procreate to rename Files in the Gallery itself.

Until the app or your iPad has a problem and you have to delete app and re-install and lose everything.

If you work is worth keeping, it is worth saving it in  a folder you create and structure to fit your needs.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

7 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Until the app or your iPad has a problem and you have to delete app and re-install and lose everything.

If you work is worth keeping, it is worth saving it in  a folder you create and structure to fit your needs.

Yes, which is why Archiving work and files is…and has been, essential since working with tech from the beginning. If all you do is think Saving/Renaming/Storing within any software, on any platform is enough…you’re completely new at it, and are in for a rude awakening.

I think it goes without a saying that people who value their work back it up on a regular basis :) Personally, I stick to backing it up on my external hard drive, once a collection is complete. So yeah, of course I’m interested in saving my work, but I’m also interested in being able to rename it properly within the software to clean up the mess that I’m creating. My homepage view right now is a terrible mess. I keep creating copies of master-files and every file name turns into a copy of a copy of a copy and untitled files. Let me give you two screenshots, one from my clean Affinity V1, and another one from my messy V2. I usually give files temporary names because I cannot know what their catalog number is right away.

Anyways, I have to find another system of my own it seems. I was excited that the V2 interface looks cleaner. But when I compare V1 and V2 next to each other, I think V1 wins. Is there a way to personalize the thumbnail size, to scale it down?

Thank you so much for your input :)

35439C71-4FA4-49A8-9F39-1805FD0E9246.jpeg

47910412-F200-41EB-97E1-6EFB89AB5FA4.png

55 minutes ago, WeronikaSalach said:

I think it goes without a saying that people who value their work back it up on a regular basis :) Personally, I stick to backing it up on my external hard drive, once a collection is complete. So yeah, of course I’m interested in saving my work, but I’m also interested in being able to rename it properly within the software to clean up the mess that I’m creating. My homepage view right now is a terrible mess. I keep creating copies of master-files and every file name turns into a copy of a copy of a copy and untitled files. Let me give you two screenshots, one from my clean Affinity V1, and another one from my messy V2. I usually give files temporary names because I cannot know what their catalog number is right away.

Anyways, I have to find another system of my own it seems. I was excited that the V2 interface looks cleaner. But when I compare V1 and V2 next to each other, I think V1 wins. Is there a way to personalize the thumbnail size, to scale it down?

Thank you so much for your input :)

Cannot resize in the main window….BUT you can Drag/Drop one onto the other, to create Stacks (or a Group) Documents…to save overall space at least.

‘Just Press/Hold the Hamburger (right corner) of Document….then Drap/Drop onto another Document.

Creates a Project Folder…..which ironically you CAN Rename via the Hamburger!

33AC5A31-589F-4DB8-8191-7BECF77BAAAE.jpeg

C4317F4E-BA14-479F-8734-204C88BF51D5.jpeg

DEBCD2ED-E03F-4170-910C-550150988846.jpeg

9781E0C3-8F42-4CC5-A39B-4D20086377F5.jpeg

FC3A1390-021F-4FA6-9851-111CDB3419E9.jpeg

3E324C6C-6DFB-4B6D-83E1-CC0D36368F5C.jpeg

2 hours ago, StudioJason said:

Isn’t it ironic…you can Rename a Project here, but not Documents!

But Projects are not saved on disk. They are solely a construct that lives in the sandbox. That makes a difference.

-- Walt
PC:

11 minutes ago, StudioJason said:

Simply Renaming…yes, makes a big difference too.

think the problem they are trying to solve by removing Rename for documents is a mismatch between the name/content in the sandbox and the name/content on disk. That can lead to lost data, or to real files not having the content the user expected. 

As the Projects only exist in one place (sandbox), not two (sandbox, and on disk), the problem caused by renaming doesn't exist for Projects.

-- Walt
PC:

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

think the problem they are trying to solve by removing Rename for documents is a mismatch between the name/content in the sandbox and the name/content on disk. That can lead to lost data, or to real files not having the content the user expected. 

As the Projects only exist in one place (sandbox), not two (sandbox, and on disk), the problem caused by renaming doesn't exist for Projects.

We all get and understand the Sandbox reasoning. I still love a Free Will Workflow, as opposed to ‘saving us from ourselves’ mentalities.

On 12/6/2022 at 12:05 PM, Paul Mudditt said:

Very, Very bad answer. 
The very concept of "Mobile work" suggest versatility.
Sometimes it takes time and changes, before I know if my work is worth saving. And meanwhile I will make changes and versions and I need the option to rename.
It feels awkward that I have to explain this here, in this forum. Wouldn't you, people from the moderation team suppose to understand these things before you get here?!?
It feels disrespectful and condescending to get answers like yours.
Would you please be rather constructive in future?
Thank you! Very! Much!    

Edited by Svetoslav

On 12/6/2022 at 10:51 PM, StudioJason said:

Isn’t it ironic…you can Rename a Project here, but not Documents!

I am Affinity user since the very first beta versions of Affinity Photo.
I would never expect that one day Affinity Forum moderation team will explain to me, that I am dum and my my work doesn't worth saving, except very occasionally.
Little do they know that the last 5+ years I was trusting Affinity to make my living.
It is so... sad!!!

Edited by Svetoslav

1 hour ago, Svetoslav said:

Very, Very bad answer. 
The very concept of "Mobile work" suggest versatility.
Sometimes it takes time and changes, before I know if my work is worth saving. And meanwhile I will make changes and versions and I need the option to rename.
It feels awkward that I have to explain this here, in this forum. Wouldn't you, people from the moderation team suppose to understand these things before you get here?!?
It feels disrespectful and condescending to get answers like yours.
Would you please be rather constructive in future?
Thank you! Very! Much!    

Sorry you see it that way, I’m just a user and on my facebook groups I’m sick of seeing this sort of message where people did not understand what  the sandbox isn’t. 

99977D7A-D27F-4A75-8313-9ACC115D7232.jpeg

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

1 hour ago, Svetoslav said:

I would never expect that one day Affinity Forum moderation team

No one from Serif has responded in this topic. We're all just users, so far. 

And we're all just trying to be helpful, and point out the pitfalls of some workflows that you may not have recognized yet.

-- Walt
PC: