You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot create a new style based on an existing style

Alex White

When I use the paragraph style pop up menu to create a new style based on Heading 2, I get the dialog to give it my new name (heading 3) and I change the font size. 

Then I say "OK", the dialog disappears but the list of paragraph styles doesn't include my new 'heading 3' style. 

can create a new style from the 'new style' button, but I can't from the pop up menu. 

Does this explanation make sense?

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "the paragraph style pop up". 

Can you provide a screenshot that shows what you're clicking to get that?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Alex White,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I've tried replicating this here and I can confirm that creating styles in this manner is working as expected for me - assuming you're still experiencing this issue, can you please confirm for me:

• What model iPad are you using?
  • What version of iOS is installed?
  • What are you using as an input device? (ie finger, Apple Pencil or mouse?)

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me - I've tested once again on this iPad model running iOS 16 and I'm still able to create these styles as expected.

Is this occurring only in one file for you, or any document? Are you able to provide a screen recording showing these steps and the style failing to be created for me?

Many thanks once again!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 11/24/2022 at 10:38 PM, Alex White said:

can create a new style from the 'new style' button, but I can't from the pop up menu. 

Hi Alex, make sure you “ Show in both panels “ turned on, or it won’t show in the panel you have open. It defaults to off in sample I tried.

9C5396F8-2022-4E88-AC4B-795B7527C73F.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 12/14/2022 at 10:18 PM, DM1 said:

Hi Alex, make sure you “ Show in both panels “ turned on, or it won’t show in the panel you have open. It defaults to off in sample I tried.

9C5396F8-2022-4E88-AC4B-795B7527C73F.jpeg

Good news is that that does solve the problem, so thanks for that!

I’m left questioning what the purpose of that toggle(?) is supposed to be for… what value does it have (and in particular what value is there in having it default to off)?

Plus, while I’m on the subject I hate with a passion toggles whose state is invisible to all intents and purposes like that one. Classic checkboxes were SO much better. Crystal clear what was going on. These oceans of dark grey just make things worse. 

1 hour ago, Alex White said:

I’m left questioning what the purpose of that toggle(?) is supposed to be for… what value does it have (and in particular what value is there in having it default to off)?

Lol, beats me. I’ve only just started playing with Publisher but a common thread with Affinities iPad apps is lots of features hidden deep in menus. A lack of screen realestate for ui doesn’t help.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

1 hour ago, Alex White said:

what value does it have (and in particular what value is there in having it default to off)?

Usually a Text Style is either a Character Text Style or a Paragraph Text Style, but not both, and in that case it makes sense to have it in just one of the lists.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Usually a Text Style is either a Character Text Style or a Paragraph Text Style, but not both, and in that case it makes sense to have it in just one of the lists.

So do you think that ‘show in both panels’ means ‘show in text style panel and paragraph style panel’? That wouldn’t make sense. If I’m creating a paragraph style based on another paragraph style, it makes sense that the default is a paragraph style, and it wouldn’t make any sense to include it in a text panel. 

Yet it only appears if ‘show in both panels’ is true. 

So I’m not convinced that your statement is actually explaining what is happening here, unless I’m misunderstanding you?

35 minutes ago, Alex White said:

Yet it only appears if ‘show in both panels’ is true.

Not sure what "it" refers to in your statement. Sorry.

-- Walt
PC:

It’s the subject of the thread

“When I use the paragraph style pop up menu to create a new style based on Heading 2, I get the dialog to give it my new name (heading 3) and I change the font size. 

Then I say "OK", the dialog disappears but the list of paragraph styles doesn't include my new 'heading 3' style

I can create a new style from the 'new style' button, but I can't from the pop up menu. ”

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 12/14/2022 at 10:18 PM, DM1 said:

make sure you “ Show in both panels “ turned on, or it won’t show in the panel you have open

On 12/21/2022 at 9:00 PM, Alex White said:

Good news is that that does solve the problem, so thanks for that!

Although I'm glad to hear this resolves the issue for you, it shouldn't be required and still doesn't align with the behaviour I am seeing here with the option disabled (ie the new Text Style is listed as expected).

This option provides the following functionality:

Although text styles are assigned a type, Affinity Publisher gives you the option of applying paragraph and character text styles flexibly. For example, you can set paragraph styles to selected glyphs as if they are character styles, without affecting the style applied to the paragraph. To activate this feature, you must set the text style to Show in both panels.

With this option disabled, any Paragraph or Character Styles should show in the Text Styles list, shown in your screenshot.

With this option enabled, you can select the created style from either the Character or Paragraph context toolbar options available when you have a text frame selected, allowing you to selectively apply a Paragraph Style as a Character Style, and vice-versa (and this is working correctly for me here).

The following recording shows me creating a Style based on a previous Paragraph style and changing the font size. This then appears in the Text Styles list.
I then created a text frame, and on the Context Toolbar checked both the Character and Paragraph Styles options. The Style only appears in the Paragraph list.
After editing the newly created Style and enabling 'Show in both lists', this style can now also be selected in the Character Styles dropdown from the Context Menu.

However, I appreciate this does not provide a reason that the same workflow is not working for you - and I'm unsure of the exact cause of this currently. I will speak with our QA team to request to investigate this further and I will be sure to update you here ASAP!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I will speak with our QA team to request to investigate this further and I will be sure to update you here ASAP!

I have checked with our team and they have confirmed they're seeing the same (correct) behaviour that I'm seeing here - and are also unsure of any reason this would be different on your devices.

Are you able to provide a screen recording of the full workflow you're taking, when this text style is not created please? 

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi Dan, 

I went into the app to record the problem and on v2.0.3.1688 of the app I no longer see the problem happening. I can now create a new style based on an existing style from the context menu whether I have the ‘show in both panels’ turned on or not. 

Thanks for your time investigating this, it appears that 2.0.3 has solved it for me. I’m happy for this thread to be closed or marked as solved or whatever. 

Cheers

Alex

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know Alex, I'm certainly glad to hear this :D

Please note -

Many thanks!