You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Enquiry on Knife Tool

Hi, will appreciate some help here regarding Knife Tool. I managed to use the knife tool on shapes and words, but when I dragged in an image, I wasn't able to use it, the image turned white. Attached is the screen recording. Am I missing any step here? Thanks for the help!

As far as I am aware, the knife tool can only cut vectors, so when used on an imported image, it isn't cutting the image, it's cutting the container the image is in and subsequently the image is removed because you have modified the vector container.

You could cut the container and reintroduce the image to each cut section so that each cut section acts like a clipping mask. Probably the best way to do that is to place the image and duplicate it as many times as you want to cut the container, so, in your video you would duplicate the image four times. and simply drag each duplicate image into the newly created containers in the Layers panel.

For the future, maybe Affinity could automate that task, so it duplicates the image and places the duplicate as a child layer for each section of the container cut.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@cks Just found the solution in another post, convert the image frame to curves then cut with the knife tool. but there is a problem with regard to DPI and position afterwards. I think the image duplication method is just as valid until those issues get sorted.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

15 hours ago, cks said:

I just tried it out, it worked, thanks so much! :) 

Kudos to @NotMyFault

• 1 year later...