You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where are Affinity V2 files stored on the iPad (Pro)?

filoplume

Hi,

I would like to get what I did on the iPad with Designer, Photo, Publisher to my PC using Dropbox or a USB cable or whatever.

I hooked the iPad up via a USB cable and all I see are DCIM folders with photos in them.  I assume those are the ones that somehow got to Apple Photo on the web using my old iPhone (which I no longer have).

Is there someway I can access the Affinity files and put them in DropBox using the iPad?

30 minutes ago, filoplume said:

Is there someway I can access the Affinity files and put them in DropBox using the iPad?

Home Screen 3bar menu, Tap Save, Name and navigate to any folder or cloud storage such as Dropbox, tap ok. Done.  You now have an .afxxx file saved outside of sandbox that you can copy/move etc.

If you want tiff/pdf/png/jpg etc. Use Export, select desired format, tap Save, navigate to Cloud storage or folder, tap Save. These types of files can be accessed by other apps or viewers.

You can access any cloud storage apart from Google (who seem to have a system that Affinity can’t work with).🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Worked great DM1!!!!!!!!!

I saved it to DropBox.  Next I will see if I can save it to the iPad and try and find it.  I don't think Windows can read the whole iPad via USB.  Oh well, this is working out just fine!

Thanks!!

I used the Apple Pencil and Designer to create my signature.  So much easier than trying to do the same thing on the desktop with my Wacom One tablet!

For security and anti-piracy reasons, the iPad uses "sandboxing" for it's file system, so there's actually a whole OSX Darwin type filesystem in there that you can't normally browse. Only a sort of "document folder" can be browsed either on the iPad itself or on the iTunes App, etc. It just doesn't show you that this is what's going on.

You can add the Dropbox filesystem to the iPad Files app (file browser). See https://help.dropbox.com/integrations/ios-files-app

That makes it possible to browse directly to dropbox folders from other apps without having to launch the Dropbox app and copy stuff to "On My iPad" (ipad local storage) first. You only have to launch Dropbox to log in to dropbox and sometimes after updating the Dropbox app.

The "Live Documents" that haven't been explicitly saved yet seem to be stored in a hidden sandbox directory until you explicitly save them.

Not sure what this means for the jpg/png files you're talking about but I hope that helps you decide how to access them.

slice2.png.cb7417e51279952dd5c1adc42860264d.pngpRiNt! mOnKeY! 🖨️🙊
💻Lenovo Legion 5 Pro*, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H, 2300 Mhz, 14 Core, 32GB DDR5-4800, nVidia RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windoze 11 💻
*Sometimes gets used for something other than games.

47 minutes ago, Print Monkey said:

For security and anti-piracy reasons, the iPad uses "sandboxing" for it's file system, so there's actually a whole OSX Darwin type filesystem in there that you can't normally browse. Only a sort of "document folder" can be browsed either on the iPad itself or on the iTunes App, etc. It just doesn't show you that this is what's going on.

You can add the Dropbox filesystem to the iPad Files app (file browser). See https://help.dropbox.com/integrations/ios-files-app

That makes it possible to browse directly to dropbox folders from other apps without having to launch the Dropbox app and copy stuff to "On My iPad" (ipad local storage) first. You only have to launch Dropbox to log in to dropbox and sometimes after updating the Dropbox app.

The "Live Documents" that haven't been explicitly saved yet seem to be stored in a hidden sandbox directory until you explicitly save them.

Not sure what this means for the jpg/png files you're talking about but I hope that helps you decide how to access them.

okay.  thanks.  I haven't figured how to browse files on the iPad yet.

Affinity can open files from any folder, any location. Any file you open with Affinity apps, Affinity  creates a "working" copy retained in protected memory area (sandbox). This is what you see in the Home Screen (Live Document) view. These you can Save, Save as or Duplicate. Save saves edits externally with same working file, Save As replaces current 'working' file with a Saved Copy of the working file in external location and sandbox. It also closes the original working copy and associated file. Duplicate creates a copy of the 'working' file in sandbox without saving it externally. Closing a sandboxed file (live doc) without ever saving means the file is gone and no longer accessible.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 11 months later...
17 minutes ago, thedrumdoctor said:

.so linking Dropbox in Designer doesn’t create an automatic background sync when edit have been made to a document, it just allows the user the option to export directly to Dropbox?

No. Linking Dropbox in the application Settings is not related to that at all.

It makes it easier for the application to find Linked files contained within a .afdesign document, when those Linked files are on Dropbox, and you Save the .afdesign document on one system and then Open it on a different system.

Help: https://affinity.help/designer2/en-US.lproj/pages/Media/linkedServices.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1