You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Things We Like About the New UI

41 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

I didn't see a similar thread, so I am starting this one to keep track...

I'm liking the specific Adjustment Layers Icons compared from before. It's taking getting used to the left side with all the information, but I can see it being more helpful at glance.

That is no doubt how it looked in a Powerpoint when presented internally. However, in real use beyond these ABC examples, it looks like this and is an absolute horror to navigate in. I can only assume that it is not conceptually tested on medium to complex documents. Serif optimized Affinity for pretty impressive performance even with thousands of objects, so I'm speechless that as a customer you have to navigate the thousands of objects in such a messy panel here. 

I can easily work with much, much more detailed and hierarchical layering and with many effects etc.

image.png.4a30bd45faa24d4fb96394186a4b36a2.png

If you prefer large thumbnails it turns the layers panel into DUPLO blocks.

image.png.f960e6eefa77b2b8305d5ce51235f96c.png

How does it look in your documents, @VectorVonDoom ?

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

The fact that the "FX" icons can now be dragged from one layer to another to copy the layer FX is kind of nice.

Yeah, I'm getting used to things like that icon in particular. It looks like it belongs on the back of a movie box, but I don't hate it or anything. It's growing on me.

image.png.81ef0937eabd8bfe23da3677da712edf.png

The impression I'm getting on desktop (Windows) from V1->V2 is that UI that didn't really scream at us in V1 and were easily dismissed are now glaringly obvious that they are there (hi I'm here!). That's the biggest takeaway I've had as in terms of the overall change. V1 felt very quiet by comparison. I haven't had a ton of time in the Layers panel since I'm mainly importing graphics atm. I just opened that file to test something and I thought huh those are nice actually. Loud in their own right, but nice.

It isn't a bad thing if they're encouraging people to experiment with different workflows if the point is to make things stand out more (even though it's hodgepodge in places) to see where Affinity specializes, but obviously tweaks will come and probably the UI will become more balanced with more feedback. That's partially why I wanted to start the thread on this, to see for myself what was working...

3 hours ago, François R said:

it looks like this and is an absolute horror

You're in the wrong thread.
The topic here is:

Things We Like About the New UI

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Interface changings  are usually just annoying  pain in your a.. Never helps a bit  . I couldn't recollect a single  case for any soft at all.   Contrary it always  makes you new puzzles .       Never understood why software devs insisting on this.    Software interfaces of 20 years ago  was already perfectly fine with me.  

It's not  like in a typical market  when you buy same crap again because of new shiny  box and cool buttons.

I like the additional Geometry options:

Geometry.jpg

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

They are available both as a toolbar group and as individual buttons. The individual buttons are the best choice if you only use a few of these options often.

Thanks @StuartRc it was actually only now I discovered the additional view options. x-ray is really useful for me, as now in v2 you see any sketch/photo shown muted as background. This is how it should be when hand tracing.

image.png.40e3c64baac255be6a762e8f6ccbedd6.png

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.

3 hours ago, François R said:

They are available both as a toolbar group and as individual buttons. The individual buttons are the best choice if you only use a few of these options often.

Thanks @StuartRc it was actually only now I discovered the additional view options. x-ray is really useful for me, as now in v2 you see any sketch/photo shown muted as background. This is how it should be when hand tracing.

image.png.40e3c64baac255be6a762e8f6ccbedd6.png

Yes! however you load onto the toolbar...they are really useful and a welcome feature.

I like the X-Ray mode also. There is also this new feature as well:

Selection in group.jpg

Which you can use in conjunction with X-Ray Mode.. Lets you select vector objects contained within groups directly

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

1 hour ago, StuartRc said:

Selection in group.jpg

Which you can use in conjunction with X-Ray Mode.. Lets you select vector objects contained within groups directly

Thanks for that too. I will try it out.

BTW: Sleepless and curious, I couldn't help but look at Cheltenham, it looks a lovely unspoilt and harmonious town, architecturally, from Google Street View. That must help a bit with inspiration for you creatives in town. It really does mean a lot to my inspiration and creativity where I live and where I go on a daily basis. It's not enough with Google, Pinterest, etc. and a few trips a year.

14 hours ago, François R said:

Thanks for that too. I will try it out.

BTW: Sleepless and curious, I couldn't help but look at Cheltenham, it looks a lovely unspoilt and harmonious town, architecturally, from Google Street View. That must help a bit with inspiration for you creatives in town. It really does mean a lot to my inspiration and creativity where I live and where I go on a daily basis. It's not enough with Google, Pinterest, etc. and a few trips a year.

Wow!.. you looked up Cheltenham!😀.. it can be.. but it is not just the Town but more the area...looks flat but is surrounded on 3 sides by hills (well 1 mountain..ish!). Lots of Parks and Festivals (check this link)..

Quick Bitmap Fill
This new feature is growing on me!...
Ability to drag assets (images | Vectors) onto Fill Swatch on context bar and use as a colour swatch and style asset..Really handy for adding textures to images from within object overlay....and it is fast! (Helps if you have lots of seamless patterns!)